Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | Starfish03 | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Vacuum for hardwood floors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum for hardwood floors?
    Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 9:05pm
Hey!  Bree's post about whether or not to get a Dyson got me looking at vacuum cleaners.  I need a new vacuum too but didn't want to hijack her post...  Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a vacuum for using on hardwood floors?  We don't have any carpet in our house, it's all hardwood (and tile in the wet areas).  We have 3 dogs and a cat so there is pet hair galore.  The house is 103 years old and we are in a constant state of remodel so coal dust and plaster dust are a problem too...

I was looking at the Shark Navigator lift-off because someone in the other post recommended that brand but was just wondering if anyone else had a vacuum that they like? 
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
Sponsored Links

KeepItSimple View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote KeepItSimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:29pm
We use a shop vac full time.  It is a pain to haul up and down but I love it.  Heart
Jenny,wife to Adam since 1994
SAHMom to:
18. 17. 15. 13. 12. 10. 8. 7. 5. 3.& Eva Joy 6-11-13
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(13)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:50pm
I did my time w/ a Shop Vac.  Loved that thing!  I still need to have one at all times.

If you are shopping for something more spendy, I am a big fan of the Miele vacs.  I just got one w/ the more pricey carpet (powered) head.  The ones w/ suction-only are less expensive.  If the floor is delicate, there is a parquet floor head that I use on ours.  For tile, I use the regular, all-purpose head.  My Mom & SIL both have them.  SIL got hers used, so hers was in a more reasonable price range.  Both of them have been very happy w/ theirs.  I mostly like it because it has awesome suction & filtration but is very quiet.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 11 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:48am
Love my dyson canister for carpet, tile, and wood.  That thing sucks the dust right out of the floor cracks! I live on a dirt road, so I needed something that could handle lots of dust.

Edited by mairf - 16 Apr 2012 at 12:49am
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
mommy2 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:01am
I am with Mary Beth, I LOVE my Dyson canister for our hardwood, tile and carpet.  :)  Works like a charm :)
~Laura~
Mama to Kelsea 9, Ryley 7 & Abby 3

Wife to Shane and Full time Nursing Student.

to,488px);}");
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 177 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by musicmama musicmama wrote:

I did my time w/ a Shop Vac.  Loved that thing!  I still need to have one at all times.

If you are shopping for something more spendy, I am a big fan of the Miele vacs.  I just got one w/ the more pricey carpet (powered) head.  The ones w/ suction-only are less expensive.  If the floor is delicate, there is a parquet floor head that I use on ours.  For tile, I use the regular, all-purpose head.  My Mom & SIL both have them.  SIL got hers used, so hers was in a more reasonable price range.  Both of them have been very happy w/ theirs.  I mostly like it because it has awesome suction & filtration but is very quiet.

Miele vacuums are great. We just replaced our worn out dyson with a miele neptune. It doesn't have the fancy powered carpet head that I really wanted but it works great on both the carpeted areas as well as the hard floors. The parquet head is great. It is very quiet. I can vacuum on the highest setting while the kids are sleeping and not worry about waking them up. If I put in on a lower power setting I can even vacuum in the same room while they sleep. The only downside is the bags. They are expensive at ~$18 for a four pack but I've used the same bag (the smaller version my model takes) for almost a month and it's only half full. Miele vacuums are difficult to figure out, there are a ton of models that all seem really, really similar. After a few weeks of research I figured it out and picked on that fit our needs.
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 4:55pm
I love my Kirby.  I am not fan of how the business works and that you have to "wheel and deal" with them to get a good price but I do love my vacuum.  It is heavy to take up and down stairs though.  It works great on carpet, rugs, and hardwood.  Plus I use it on the furniture, ceiling fans, etc.  Like the Miele it has bags to replace.
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 167 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:27pm
We have lots of hard floors in our house, and we love our Dyson.  It's not cheap, but I like that there are no bags or filters to buy.  If you can hold out for a bit longer, Lowe's usually puts them on sale on Memorial Day weekend.
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:39pm
So... You guys think the stain is worth the money even with no carpet in the house? I like that it is bagless. My sister has one and loves it... I guess I better start saving my pennies! Of course today I found out I need some dental work so the vacuum may have to wait for a bit.   
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 167 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:48pm
Maybe you could borrow your sister's for a few days and see if you think it's worth it for you.  For us, it's great.  3/4's of our first floor is hard floor, and I would say that about 1/3rd of our second floor is hard floor and I would buy the Dyson again.  The suction is just amazing.

And maybe if Memorial Day is too soon, I think they also go on sale Labor Day weekend at Lowe's.  You might look at the refurbs too.  Someone here got a refurb, can't remember who though.
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 171 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:57am
We have parquet floors. No idea why they'd put parquet in military housing. So it's old crappy scratched to crap flooring. lol  But the dyson has been working great so far. All the downstairs is parquet and the bedrooms, stairs, and upstairs hall is brand new carpeting. I love the carpeting in this house. It's that almost-shag type. I do have to say - I've got beef w/ my dyson - the second time I used it I used the carpet brushes on our area rug in the living area and it caught a loop and tore out a strand that I swear was at least 20ft long. Thankfully I can't tell where it came from unless I'm searching for it. But that made me mad! So now I don't use the brushes on it - I just suck as  much as I can up w/ out the brushes and then hit it real fast w/ the brushes to give it that 'vacuumed' look. lol
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 171 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:01am
Elizabeth it was me that got a refurbished one. I got this actually. If you buy directly from dyson refurbished they only give a 6mo warranty. I liked that this place gave another 2.5yr on top of that.
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 81 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
oh, how I want a dyson! we have a hoover and it stinks on hardwood and suddenly isn't great on carpet either Confused

bree, how much cheaper was a refurbished? 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 171 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:30pm
Well, the current dyson pet is $599 plus $100 for the pet tool kit. I linked the one I got above, but it was an older refurbished model (not a ball, I've heard bad things about the ball ones not having as great of suction)... I think the DC17 for $350 with the pet tool kit. The one I linked to doesn't have as many accessories as the one I got came with though. So I guess I kinda saved $350... cause I didn't care that it wasn't the newest model.
 Post Reply Post Reply