Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

RH and LH knitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 254 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RH and LH knitting
    Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 4:15pm
Is there really a difference? I apparently knit left handed. I learned from watching a right handed video and the video urged me to learn to knit right handed but wasn't very clear on why. My friend came over to help me out and she told I knit the way she does, which is left handed. the only time it's affected her was when she made mittens bc they were inside out.

so does it really matter?
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
Sponsored Links

northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 4:38pm
Meaning you pass the stitches from the R needle to the L needle as you work them (rather than the standard L to R).  Or do you mean which hand holds the working yarn (English or Continental), and either way stiches are passed L to R?

The former, you'll get a mirror image of what the pattern is meant to make.  For symmetrical items, it won't matter.  For asymmetrical items (like a mitten), you'll get a mirror image.

The latter, it won't make a difference.

J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 254 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 10:22pm
Okay um I pass from R to L. I don't hold the working yarn but its on my right side typically.

Thanks for the info though :)

Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 70 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:12am
I'm a lefty but I knit righty.  It doesn't seem to be a hand-specific craft IMHO.  I do crochet lefty, and know a few others who do.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 254 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:55pm
THanks for the opinion Christine. I didn't even know that it would be considered a hand specific craft :)
Jenn

umbribyz View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 125 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote umbribyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:28am
There is a group on ravelry for left-handed knitters. One of my closest friends is a leftie knitter and it does affect some things. Especially charts. Sometimes she will need to transpose an SSK and K2Tog in order to get the decreases to lean the correct way. And cables are opposite too. She said that it is not a big deal as long as you know how you need to compensate by looking at the pattern. She makes some beautiful things and it hasn't slowed her down in the slightest.
Carrie
HSing and Knitting Mama to my 3 sweet boys   
 Post Reply Post Reply