Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: ambrose
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

balance bike size opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SouthEastMomma View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balance bike size opinions
    Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 9:52am
i have a $50 gift card to REI and was thinking of getting this balance bike for dd.  my question is related to fit - do you think it's the right size for her?  i can't find any info on how much the seat height adjusts, it's a 12" bike.  other info - dd is 38" tall with a 13" inseam.  my other option would be to buy a 16" two-wheeler and have dh take the pedals and chain off until she gets the hang of balancing and steering. 

opinions?

TIA! Big smile

Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
Mom to Oscar (8), Archer (5), Odin & Hugo (1)
Sponsored Links

northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 4:25pm
How annoying that they don't give you better specs on the website!  I'd call CS for the company to get detail on seat height range.

My ODS has the seat height on his balance bike set at 14.5".  He's 4 yo and 39 inches tall.  YDS has his seat at 12.5".  He'll be 3 in June, and average size for age.  We have Runner's bikes.

IMO a modified 16 inch bike will be way too big to use as a balance bike.  To use a balance bike properly, they need to be able to touch the ground with flat feet and slightly bent knees (to scoot along, and to stop - the brakes are their feet.) If her inseam is 13", she won't even be close.  And with the seat all the way down, the handlbars will probably be too high.  If you could get a 12 inch pedal bike to modify, that might work better.
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 4:34pm
I see that the Skuut listed at REI has more complete specs.  Seat height 13.5-16.5 inches - probably perfect for your DD.  It also has a steering limiter - which IME has saved my kids from A LOT of crashes.
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 4:57pm
i was looking at the skuut, but dd is obsessed with pink.  i will probably call them for more info and may end up getting the skuut anyway.

thanks!
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 7:38pm
There's always paint  :)

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:35pm
16" is too big for a balance bike. DD has a regular 16" bike and she just this week started using it with out training wheels. She is almost 6 about 46" tall (some where around that height) and on the lowest seat setting she can just touch but it would not be a good balance bike.

We have a 12" bike that I took the peddles off of and she can ride that as a balance bike. ODS is about 42" tall and he can use it on the lowest seat setting. We have a "real" balance bike and the seat goes much lower than the 12" bike does.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:36pm
The wheels are 12" so the seat sits higher than 12" off the ground. A balance bike is also a lot lighter weight than the 12" bike. ODS prefers his balance bike over the 12" bike.

P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:05am
thanks, that makes a lot of sense.  i want the bike to be light enough for her.  i should be hearing from them soon, they are supposed to email me the seat height min and max.  i did find out that the steering is not limited, but i'm not sure that's a big deal because we're on pretty flat ground all the time here.
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 342 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:37am
i think for her age- almost 4? - that she might be using it for a couple days then on to a big bike. I know your ds is super tall- is Archer also? it just seems like a pricey buy for a tall girl trying to keep up with a big brother. we are giving dd a 12 in one but she is turning 2. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:49am
she is tall, but not as tall as oscar was at her age.  he isn't riding a 2 wheeler yet.  he actually refuses to try Unhappy  he has had a big wheel for a long time and has outgrown it to the point where his knees hit the handle bars, but he says he will ride it forever and never ride a bike.  i'm actually not sure what to do with him at this point.
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:26am
DD is almost 6 but she has really been having a lot of fun on the balance bike and I think that is why she went to the 2 wheeler so easily. ODS is 4.5 and has a 16" bike with training wheels but he prefers the balance bike because he can go faster and is more in control. I never "got" balance bikes until we got them and now I understand, they are fun!!

Lauren your oldest might really enjoy a balance bike too. It would give him more confidence for being on a bike but give him 100% control. DD can ride the 12" as a balance bike with the seat up and she did great with that.

P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

DD is almost 6 but she has really been having a lot of fun on the balance bike and I think that is why she went to the 2 wheeler so easily. ODS is 4.5 and has a 16" bike with training wheels but he prefers the balance bike because he can go faster and is more in control. I never "got" balance bikes until we got them and now I understand, they are fun!!

Lauren your oldest might really enjoy a balance bike too. It would give him more confidence for being on a bike but give him 100% control. DD can ride the 12" as a balance bike with the seat up and she did great with that.

Yup, I bet your oldest will have as much fun with the balance bike as your DD.

Edited by northwoods - 16 Apr 2012 at 12:11pm
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:37pm
we were thinking of getting one for him, but he is sooooo tall.  he was 4 ft. 4 in. tall the last time i measured him and, i swear, he has grown taller in the last month.  for him, i think we'd have to take the pedals off of a regular bike.  

unless anyone knows of larger balance bikes?  according to all the size charts i've seen, he needs a 20 in. bike.
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 342 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:41pm
lauren, i can't think of the brand, but someone makes a balance bike for 5-9 yr olds- i think it's 16 in  instead of 12. that might be able to have the seat raised up to a good height for your ds. I will try to find it. 
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 342 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:42pm
rebekahc View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote rebekahc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:58pm
There is another thread on here about strider balance bikes--I LOVE ours and they have pink.  I see them for $89 with free shipping on Amazon.  I think the 16" bike will be too big as others have said, but also so much heavier.  Strider adjusts from 11-16" seat height, and you can actually buy an extender too.  It's also one of the lightest on the market--Naomi could carry hers at 2 yeas old.

ETA:  I think the bike on REI looks nice and fine, especially if you have a coupon/gift certificate.  I was just trying to offer some other points to think about--the Novara Zipper weighs 11lbs (which is still a lot less than a traditional bike), vs Strider at a little less than 7, etc.  Smile

Edited by rebekahc - 16 Apr 2012 at 4:04pm
Rebekah ~ mother to Naomi Ray (8/30/07) and Leah Kay (09/09/09), married to Paul.

www.thecarswellfamily.blogspot.com
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:25am
thanks, katie!  i will look at that one for ds.

thanks, rebekah, i was looking at the strider until i realized i had a gift card for rei.  

i think we're going to go with the novara zipper for dd's bday :)
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
 Post Reply Post Reply