Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

Knitting Stripes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(50)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 45 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knitting Stripes
    Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:33pm
I am brainstorming longies or a skirty with legs for my friend who is due in September and she mentioned in passing that she loves big thick stripes. I haven't ever done stripes and just wondering if it's pretty easy? How do you join the different colors? Any other feedback is greatly appreciated! :)
~Morgan~SAHM to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
Sponsored Links

Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:17pm
I just swap the yarn as if I had reached the end of a ball, then knit the ends in later.  You end up with a stitch or two of double, but it is hard to find. 
Erin B: mom to Ellie (Nov 2008), Stepmom to C (1997) and V (1996), wife to an amazing man

My Blog
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:30pm
I twist them up like if I were alternating skeins, so I don't have to weave ends at each switch. There is a way to do joggless stripes too. I can't really explain it, but there are some good tuts online. It involves knitting into the color below to reduce the step you get when switching colors in the round.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(50)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 45 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:27pm
So you don't tie the ends together you just leave a tail?
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 12:26am
I'd definitely carry/twist the yarn like Sam said - if you break the yarn after each stripe you're going to have a heck of a lot of ends to weave in.  You just have to be careful with your tension - if you pull too tight when you twist it will kind of pull the fabric along the line where you're carrying the yarn.  So taught but not too tight (you'll get the feel for it as you work).

mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(50)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 45 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 9:10am
Great! Thanks Christina!!
 Post Reply Post Reply