Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Leg rash - updated and added questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leg rash - updated and added questions
    Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:01am
UPDATE: Okay, so his rash has totally healed while wearing padfolded flats.  The only little bit of a rash that has come back was overnight in a pinned flat and wool soaker (again, don't know if it was the soaked flat overnight or the soaker).  But that went away when we went back to padfolded flats during the day.  So.... trying to decide what to do now.  

Should I:
1. stick with what's currently working and pack away the fitteds/soakers until further notice Cry
2. try phasing them in by type/brand to try to pinpoint the problem diaper
3. sell all of my fitteds and soakers (did I just say that???  I can't believe I even thought it LOL)

Or somewhere in-between?

--------------------------------------------------

D keeps getting a rash on his inner thigh (both legs, but worse on one side for some reason), and I can't figure out what's causing it. He has sensitive skin and mild eczema, so it doesn't take much to cause skin issues  He usually wears fitteds (Clovers, old scuttelbutts, tinkle traps) and wool covers (combo of soakers and wool wraps).  I can get it cleared up when it happens, but it just keeps coming back!  Last week he was in flip and grovia covers with 
gdiapers inserts while we were traveling and it cleared up entirely.  So obviously it's something in our usual stash, but IDK where to start.... take out the serged fitteds?  The wool wraps?  Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by mrscakes - 19 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm
Sponsored Links

ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 8:42am
You should talk with Clare. She recently had to say goodbye to her beloved wool because it was bothering her little one's eczema.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(43)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 172 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:27am
if it's just the thighs I'd suspect the serged dipes.  W/ dd1, I had a problem with the thickly serged dipes...like that have lots of colored thread for the serging.  The serging thread that was specifically a problem was wooly nylon thread.  plain cotton was fine.

when the dipe gets wet, the wet serging causes irritation (and a rash).  since the serged waistband typically doesn't get as wet as the inner thigh area and it typically isn't as tight, I never really had a problem w/ the waistband. 
Becky
SAHM to DD1 (9), DD2 (7), and DD3 (3)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 83 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:05am
My first thought is serged edge too. Is he on the move? I notice with YDS if I don't stay on top of his diaper changes when he is wet he will get rub marks from the Sandy's after a time of running and playing. It only happens when he gets really wet and then when I change him by the next change he is fine; but he does not seem to have sensitive skin at all, so I could see how sensitive skin could be irritated more quickly for longer.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 148 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:46am
It is hard to pinpoint the cause. It could be the serged edges, it could be the wool. For us, it was the wool. We are going on about a month wool free and the rash is gone and hasn't come back. No wool and lots of lotion have helped him so much.

The best thing to do is try 1 combo at a time for like a week. Eczema flares and fades so much even in just 1 day, so you really need a longer time to experiment, yk? Good luck figuring it out, Christina!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:49am
Thanks guys, I think I am going to take the serged diapers and covers out of rotation first.  I don't think it's wool generally since he wears longies almost every day and never has other issues besides that one spot on his thigh.

Becky - interesting about the type of thread.  Both our Clovers and TTs are serged, so I'm going to take them both out for now and then see if one or the other seems worse.  

Sarah - On the move??  Does running everywhere and climbing everything count??  Yeah, he's crazy mobile.  And he chugs water lately, so I'm having to adjust when I expect him to need a change since he's soaking his dipes sooner.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 148 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:52am
Sounds like a good plan, Christina. If the longies aren't causing eczema flares on other parts of his legs, then it could very well be the serged edges. I hope you find the cause, but it would be sad to let go of your TTs and Clovers! Though, you would HAVE to buy more diapers if that were the case :)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

It is hard to pinpoint the cause. It could be the serged edges, it could be the wool. For us, it was the wool. We are going on about a month wool free and the rash is gone and hasn't come back. No wool and lots of lotion have helped him so much.

The best thing to do is try 1 combo at a time for like a week. Eczema flares and fades so much even in just 1 day, so you really need a longer time to experiment, yk? Good luck figuring it out, Christina!

Thanks for chiming in, Clare :)  Like I said, I don't think it's the wool since he doesn't react to it anywhere else except that one spot.  I know that he actually reacts to fleece - like he can only wear fleece PJs if I totally slather him in a thick lotion after his bath to create a barrier of sorts  But I've never seen him get eczema spots on his legs from longies like he does from fleece.   

IDK if I have enough of any one thing to do only one combo for a week w/o washing an insane number of times.... but I'm going to at least make sure that we do one thing for an entire day and go from there.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if it was the Clovers since he's close to outgrowing them and they're falling apart  The serged TTs would be a major bummer though since I have a dozen and they were meant to be part of our fit-until-PLing stash.
boysniris View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote boysniris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 1:45am
My son went through a phase like this, I could never determine the cause.  It seemed like the best thing to do was rub ointment on the area at each diaper change.  I used either Aquaphor or Northern Essence Sensitive Diaper Salve.  After he started walking and getting a bit thinner, he stopped having the irritation.  I suspect it was chafing more than anything else, and it didn't seem to matter what type of fabric his thighs chafed against.
Melanie, mommy to two busy boys

Happy fleece :-)

EmotiBums
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 137 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 10:57am
Hope you can figure it out! The serged TT gave Abram the worst rash on his inner thighs. Not all serged dipes were as bad.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 1:11pm
Ugh, his rash is so much worse today!  His poor skin is actually peeling :(  IDK if it was hid night diaper that did it or what?!  I think I'm going to try padfolded flats in the covers that he wore while we were traveling (and didn't seem to bother him) while we're trying to get it healed up.
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 191 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 1:52pm
Oh poor guy! I say serged edges too. DH never really had an issue w/ any dipes until last summer or when MIL was watching him. I'll admit I wasn't so good about changing him often enough when we were outside all.day.long. And when MIL had him she'd never change enough. that's the only time his diapers ever bothered him and it was right in the same spot you're saying - the wet serging would rub and irritate him.
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:45am
It's weird b/c the serged edge of the diaper isn't actually wet (at least the time I've made a point of actually checking), and it's never bothered him before so I'm totally baffled.

The good and the bad news is that trifolding flats is totally working.  Bad b/c I only have 2 covers that I can padfold with and I *hate* folding flats  Am I doomed to have to rework our stash??  This is all happening just b/c I posted the other day about never needing to buy diapers again
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 137 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:35pm
LOL about not needing to buy diapers, but at least it would be a fairly inexpensive stash!
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 191 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 1:28pm
You jinxed yourself! This is why I never stop buying diapers ;) haha No, totally joking :P 

I just realized I typed DH instead of DS in my reply up there.... anyone wondering why my DH was in diapers? LOL
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm
Updated and added another question in the OP.

And yes Bree, I was wondering why your DH was in diapers?
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 148 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
Hmmm, pinpointing the problem is so darn hard! I'm sorry your having to deal with this. I would use your fitteds with PUL and see how that goes to see if it is wool or not. If you're still having issues, cut out the fitteds until the rash clears then try phasing them in. You could always try trifolded PFs if you don't want to fold flats all the time. It is totally possible that just one spot can react to the wool and since soakers sit tighter on the thigh, it really could be the wool.
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:22pm
Sigh.. I have been thinking about how it might be the wool soakers since they can rub differently than longies/shorties would.  But why now??? He's been in wool since birth!  But another weird thing is what I used to clear up the rash spots - a combo of healing salve and lanolin.  So it's obviously not the lanolin that's the problem.

I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world since it seems like he can still wear the longies and shorties.  I could try the fitteds with PUL as an experiment, but TBH if I have to use PUL I'm fine with the padfolding.  I can also try the fitteds with wool shorties which would tell me if it's the fitteds that are the issue too.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 148 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:33am
Good luck, Christina. If no other combo works, at least you have padfolded flats and PUL to turn to.
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 191 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:39am
I'd probably give the fitteds under longies/shorties a shot and see if he can handle it. Good luck! It really stinks that it's happening now after so long!
 Post Reply Post Reply