Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | Starfish03 | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

How long to do meal clean up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long to do meal clean up?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:21pm
I feel like I spend ALL my time cleaning the kitchen! I just get lunch cleaned up and I have to start supper. I like to cook, and most of our food is from scratch, but after every meal it looks like a tornado went through and it takes at least 30 mins to clean it all up. And that's when we have chicken nuggets from a bag and I do no cooking ahead. Yesterday late afternoon I made veggie puree to put in soup and then I made a pot of bean soup and it was 1.5 hr of clean up. Dishes done, table and high chair clean, counter and stove wiped, floor swept and steam mopped. It was 9pm before I sat down on the couch!

Do I just need to be more organized? Can any of you cook and clean up at the same time? Will I get any better at this?

Love to cook, hate to clean
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
Sponsored Links

mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:41pm
I'm just waiting for the replies to pour in....
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 11:00pm
Lol, Jessica! So I'm not the only one at least....
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 11:03pm

I make my kids clean, lol. It does have a lot to do with clean as you go. I leave the dishwasher open, so I can throw dishes in as I'm done with them. Midkid has to wipe down the table and sweep after dinner. Eldest has to do the dishes. We usually just have leftovers for lunch, so that saves a lot of dirtying dishes; reheat throw on kids plates and I eat out of the pryex to finish it off. And planning ahead. If I shred all the cheese for the week, then I don't have to pull out the cuisineart each night. And we eat lots of one dish wonders. OTOH a little mess doesn't bother me most of the time, so unless J makes a gross mess I can leave the sweeping for that final after dinner clean up. And his highchair has a tray on the tray so he eats lunch on the tray and it goes in the dishwasher and then he eats dinner off the real tray which gets wiped down after dinner. I love the trash bowl thing Rachel Ray does otherwise I leave the can right by where I'm cooking to drop things in and I keep a damp towel by the stove or counter so I can wipe as it happens if I make a mess and keep a dry towel in my belt loop.

Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 91 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:53am
I clean up as I go and then do dishes right after the meal is over. Usually we have the table cleaned off and dishes done in no more than 10 min.

The kids clear the table and then DH usually does the pots/pans because I made the meal. It is our "unspoken" rule unless... YDS is in a mood an I need a break, he will take the kids and I will do the dishes. Oddly enough getting something productive done quickly brightens my mood.

We have a tiny kitchen with little counter space so I can't have it full of dishes. They have to be done and put away as we go and right away.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 91 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
Oh and sweep as needed but not every night and moping... well that happens when I get to it. I spot clean up with a wet rag but don't mop all the time.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 249 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:59am
It depends on who does the cooking/clean-up.  Let me run some scenarios here:
Me cook/me clean:  I clean as I cook, and I use the RR trash bowl idea too.  It takes about 20 minutes to clean everything up at the end.  I try to have all the prep dishes washed or in the dishwasher as appropriate and then just have to throw our plates (etc) in at the end and run the dishwasher while I wipe down the table.  I also have to vacuum under DS3 and DD's chairs every single meal. 
DH cook/me clean:  It takes about an hour to clean up at the end.  He's a tornado style chef.  In the past he cooked professionally and my theory is that he had lots of kitchen help cleaning up after his tornado so he never felt the need to develop a clean as you go method.
DH cook/DH clean:  I don't know.  This only happens if I'm not home.  He must have a hidden talent/method but it only comes out when made necessary by my absence. 
Me cook/DH clean:  Um...well...I've heard this promise before, but I once left the mess for almost 24 hours just to see exactly when he'd get around to it but I gave up waiting and spent 3 hours scrubbing stuck on food off of dishes and surfaces.  Ermm
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 249 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:10am
It depends on who does the cooking/clean-up.  Let me run some scenarios here:
Me cook/me clean:  I clean as I cook, and I use the RR trash bowl idea too.  It takes about 20 minutes to clean everything up at the end.  I try to have all the prep dishes washed or in the dishwasher as appropriate and then just have to throw our plates (etc) in at the end and run the dishwasher while I wipe down the table.  I also have to vacuum under DS3 and DD's chairs every single meal. 
DH cook/me clean:  It takes about an hour to clean up at the end.  He's a tornado style chef.  In the past he cooked professionally and my theory is that he had lots of kitchen help cleaning up after his tornado so he never felt the need to develop a clean as you go method.
DH cook/DH clean:  I don't know.  This only happens if I'm not home.  He must have a hidden talent/method but it only comes out when made necessary by my absence. 
Me cook/DH clean:  Um...well...I've heard this promise before, but I once left the mess for almost 24 hours just to see exactly when he'd get around to it but I gave up waiting and spent 3 hours scrubbing stuck on food off of dishes and surfaces.  Ermm
Heather =]
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 96 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:12am
mine varies too.. if I make something that's a 1 pot meal it really still means at least a couple bowls or pots and spoons! I am a bit of a tornado myself, but try to rein it in. baking is a mess but I get everything out and put it all away as I use it so at the end there are only a couple things to wash. 
dh doesnt like to run the dishwasher much- usually we do 2x a week- and I wash all pots and pans, all plastic and often some silverware and plates by hand too. it takes me about 20 mins usually to clean up- that's NOT mopping, just a sweep and a damp cloth wipe on the floor under dd's chair lol. the counters usually don't get done until the kids are in bed, when I do the final pick up for the night. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 17 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:27am

well looking at my kitchen right now I am just going to pleed the 5th. 

Edited by mamma22boys - 14 Apr 2012 at 11:27am
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 1:13pm

last nights scenario:

i made spaghetti squash with chicken and pesto w/ sun dried tomatoes and cheese. i used two baking dishes, cutting board, various knives, forks, spoons and of course, our dinner plates, cups and flat ware. 

i already had dishes in the sink and a dishwasher full of clean dishes. after every prep step i put dishes in the sink and wiped the stove down. that saved time in the end.

i did not do dishes last night but i cleared the table and counters, wiped down all surfaces and swept the floor. that took probably 15 minutes. my family is messy. if i had done the dishes as well, it probably would have taken another ten minutes at least.

this morning, i started my coffee water and put dishes away from the dishwasher. after breakfast i cleaned and loaded the dishwasher back up. a few minutes ago jared left with the girls so i hand washed everything that needed handwashed.. crapola.. there is still one dish. anyway, now, the kitchen just needs mopped (a rare occurance around here) and all clean dishes put away. 

so, basically, i feel like i spend my life cleaning the kitchen.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 249 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by mamma22boys mamma22boys wrote:

well looking at my kitchen right now I am just going to pleed the 5th. 

LOL  I should really change my answer to this too.  I typed up all that nonsense from my bedroom, before I came out and realized what my kitchen looked like this morning.  Sometimes it takes NO time to clean up after a meal...because we don't bother to do it.  Embarrassed
Heather =]
Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 1:34pm
I am no help here.  I clean as I go, but my nightly clean up takes a good hour.  That is NOT including mopping because I try not to do that but once a year!  LOL

My breakfast dishes go in the dishwasher after breakfast, I make sure the dishwasher has been run after lunchtime before making dinner.  I unload the dishwasher before we sit down to eat (most of the time) so it can be loaded after eating. 

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because we do most of our meals from scratch, too.  Unless I want to start eating convenience food, I just accept that this is a part of my life.  One that I'm not exceptionally fond of.  It is often 9:30 before I finish my clean up.  Especially if I am doing the kids' night routine by myself. 

Edited by Jaimeis - 14 Apr 2012 at 1:36pm
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 92 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:35pm
No dishwasher here and dh rarely cooks or cleans up, but I keep a dishpan of soapy/baking soda water and try to wash as I cook. This helps me a lot. Breakfast plates/bowls/flatware get stacked in the dishpan and washed with the lunch dishes. And thank you for this thread - I'm currently burned out and hiding from dinner cleanup and this is motivating me to just go do it already. :P
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 196 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:12pm
I hate to, cook, so take this all w/ a grain of salt.  For me, it's all about getting in & out w/ a reasonably healthy meal in the end.

-I do some prep in advance when I can.  I can have lunch on the run while I'm doing dinner prep, which helps me avoid lots of cleaning om the evening when I'm tired.  Plus, I don't have to worry as much about the "witching hour", when S wants to be held as I'm trying to get dinner going, and the other two are fighting or destroying the house.
-I started the damp cloth trick recently, and it has helped so much.  I am amazed by how that little cloth prevents huge scraping sessions afterwards.  Even if it's not "clean" (ie, raw egg), and I have to sanitize the surfaces later, it's still an easy process.
-When I use the waffle iron, I place it on 1/2 a brown paper bag (cut and use the front or back) or some newsprint.  The paper catches all the drips.
-I don't have terribly expensive cookware, so it all goes into the dishwasher.  Our machine isn't all that great, so I use 2/3-full loads to help it clean itself out.  I run it at the end of the day, every day, unless there's almost nothing in there.  I even put my crock from the crock pot in, and cookie sheets.  That saves a lot of time, and if I at least rinse quick while prepping and then load fast, it's no time.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 15 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:09pm
I keep out the green bin so that anything organic can go in the bin right away. i use the damp cloth too. i clean as i cook or at least stack in the dishwasher. after dinner, maybe 15 minutes to stack everything in the dishwasher. i sweep daily and try to vacuum daily but sometimes its not a reality. DH mops a couple times a week when the ho use just has him in it.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 203 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:40pm
Our kitchen used to need at least an hour of cleaning at the end of the day. Now 75% of the time I make something I make enough for at least two meals and pack the extra meal up in the freezer. I also use paper/plastic everything. It's terrible for the environment and a waste of money but sometimes sanity comes first. In a week we go through 100 paper plates, 50 bowls, 100 cups, 50 spoons, and 50 forks. I have dishes from cooking to do every other day. I only need to run the dishwasher every other day. Before it was 2-3 times per day.
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 200 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:02am
I usually spend about 10 minutes unloading/loading the dishwasher in the afternoon from breakfast and lunch stuff. Then after dinner I usually need to spend about a half hour. Nights like last night when I was so completely drained... I leave it. And now it's going to take me probably an hour because dinner is still IN the crockpot, noodles are still in the pot and I'm gonna have to scrub the crap out. Ugh. Do I regret it? Yes. lol  But I seriously could not move last night once the boys were in bed. (we went fishing and got home late and by the time I got everyone fed and to bed it was like 845pm)  Most summer nights after dinner DH takes the boys straight back outside to play while I clean up.
Poopie View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Perennial Pinner
7 years 205 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Poopie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 7:51pm
no dishwasher here either and between cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner having a dishwasher would totally save me an easy hour a day but having one isn't possible in our rental. It takes me about 45 minutes to do a full supper cleanup with mopping. I do dishes as I go most times but now that I'm getting very pregnant I like to on the couch while the food finds a place to settle around the babe and I may get enough oomph to clear and clean off the table, wipe counters and rinse the yuckier of the dishes and let them wait to be washed until morning takes 10 minutes to do that
Rachael : Devoted wife to Andrew and mother Lydia (Nov 6,06.Titus Alvin Oct 9 2008 and Naomi 7/28/12
 Post Reply Post Reply