Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

question about covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leah79 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote leah79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question about covers
    Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:08pm
I have been looking into buying PUL covers - mainly Thirsties duos, Weehuggers, and Swaddlebee capris to use on my LO with flats and prefolds.  The problem is, the sizes are listed by weight  and I have no idea how much babies weigh since this is my first child.  I know most newborns can vary from about 6-8lbs or so but I have no idea how long a size 1 diaper cover will last me.  I also know it depends on the size and shape of the baby but I feel so at a loss with these things.  My husband and I are both tall and thin, so I am guessing we will have a long and lean baby.  We are cloth diapering to save money so I am trying to be as economical as possible.  We also plan on having another baby so I know we would use the covers again.  Also, how many do I need?  I've also considered getting the Flips since they get such great reviews but I'm unsure of how they would fit a newborn.  Sorry for all the questions, but any input from experienced mamas is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

TattooedMama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TattooedMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:25pm
I'm not sure how those brands in particular run in size. But I do know that I purchased some NB covers before DS was born and they only fit for a short time because he weighed almost 10 lbs at birth and was very long. So I would only recommended maybe 1 or 2 NB diapers until you know for sure.
Ricci, mama to DS 4/06 and little bean 12/12 giada md
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:26pm
Most mamas find that it works best to get some newborn size diapers and covers and then move into a one-size system. In addition, two-step systems like the Duo and Capri do work well for most average newborns and generally fit longer than tiny newborn stuff. The Capri has the largest range I've seen.

I had a 8 lb baby that grew slowly. She didn't fit into one-size stuff until she was about 9 lbs or so- about 6 weeks old or so?

I have Flips, but didn't use them when she was little. :P

Edited by littlehands - 12 Apr 2012 at 11:19pm
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 28 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:38pm
I'm not a fan of one size covers, but I really love 2 size systems. Thirsties Duos in particular (though I really like Capri size 2's on my 14 month old now, but I don't know how I would like them on a NB or smaller baby). With Duo wraps, you know they'll fit at birth and they lasted my DS until 9 months old- he was on the skinny side. I padfolded with them until he was getting a plumbers butt :)

If you want to use them on many children, maybe you should consider ones with snaps. My velcro Thirsties are holding up great, though. I think you need a minimum of 6 PUL covers for a newborn if you're using flats and prefolds.

Edited by Clare_S - 12 Apr 2012 at 7:39pm
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 14 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 9:38am
Thirsties duo size 1 fit my little dude right from birth until 6 or 7 months old so it was definately worth buying. I also have some Thirsties sized covers that were secondhand when I got them. Little dude was the third baby to wear them. They are not pretty anymore but still fully functional and currently being used by my neighbor on her baby. So far they've lasted through 4 babies and counting.
With my DD who is now 4.5, I used some swaddlebees ABC wraps and the waterproofing didn't last more than a few months on them. It wasn't random either. It was every single one of her Swaddlebees covers that did the same thing, pee ran right through them like there was no waterproofing at all.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(9)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 9:55am

My second baby was 10.5 lbs at birth.  He could wear OS covers (flips), but they were really bulky, IMO.  Size 1 thirstie duos wraps worked much better.  I had a bunch of small thirsties that I used for both T and C that worked really well too. 

Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (Jun 11)
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 11:59pm
My DH and I are also relatively tall and skinny.  (DH in particular is quite slim.)  So we weren't prepared for a 9 lb, 5 oz chunk at 21 inches long.  DS gained weight very quickly and was at the 99th percentile for both height and weight until his 6-month check up.  I mention this because just because you are slim doesn't mean your baby will be! Wink
I second a lot of the advice given above.  I too like the 2-size systems (Thirsties Duos).  I got away with only 4-5 covers at the newborn stage, but we used fitteds underneith and rarely got poo on the covers.
Tracy
Tracy - married (June 2006), DS (August 2011)
WynterRain View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote WynterRain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 3:20pm
Most NB sizes are designed to not irritate the sensitive cord area. For any sized NB this is important. Until the cord falls off and is completely healed I would only use NB dipes designed to not rub against it (cloth or disposables).
jerzyjen View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote jerzyjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 1:45pm
I have a really silly question I'd like to add about the covers.  I thought I had this all figured out, but now I'm second guessing myself.  I've been looking at the Thirsties duo covers also.  If I use prefolds under these, do I need to add a snappi under the cover, or does the cover keep the prefold in place?

For the record, I haven't bought anything yet, nor do I have my LO here yet, so it's a whole new world for me :)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 325 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by jerzyjen jerzyjen wrote:

I have a really silly question I'd like to add about the covers.  I thought I had this all figured out, but now I'm second guessing myself.  I've been looking at the Thirsties duo covers also.  If I use prefolds under these, do I need to add a snappi under the cover, or does the cover keep the prefold in place?

For the record, I haven't bought anything yet, nor do I have my LO here yet, so it's a whole new world for me :)

It is a personal preference. They are a wrapping cover (means they are snug fitting) so you can simply lay the PF in the cover and go with it, or you can snappi the PF. I prefer a snappi because it keeps things snug and if you don't use a snappi you can pretty much guarantee that poo will get on the cover, which is not bad but I prefer to keep it in the diaper if I can
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." Henry Beecherk <a href=http://mariapaydayloa
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 28 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 5:36pm
Duo wraps are great because you can use them over fastened PFs and flats, and fitteds as well as trifold with them. They work well for both.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
SuzieSmiles View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuzieSmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:19pm
Duo wraps sound great. I've read several reviews and people seem to love them but have mentioned that the velcro starting to lose it's strength after a few washes and these are even from posters stating they hand wash and line dry... Others say they snaps are great for long term use but that the fit is better with the velcro. Confused

Can anyone share their thoughts on which are better snaps or velcro? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, if so, my apologies, I'm a newbieEmbarrassed, links to these past discussions much appreciatedBig smile.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 28 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:42pm
Well, there is a toss up. Duo wraps don't have the longest lasting velcro on the market. But, I have several Duo wraps going on over a year of use and they work just fine. One of them is kinda pilly, but still works great. I do have a large rotation of covers and you can't expect them to last forever with constant use. I wash them in warm with my clothes and always line dry them. You do get a great fit with velrco. Snaps will last longer as usual, but the Duo wrap snaps are exposed which left deep marks on my DS when I used them for trifolding. I think they would be just fine or fastened diapers or fitteds. Just my opinions, HTH!
SuzieSmiles View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuzieSmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 2:50pm
That definitely helps and makes perfect sense. Smile Really appreciate your input Clare_S thanks!
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 28 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by SuzieSmiles SuzieSmiles wrote:

That definitely helps and makes perfect sense. Smile Really appreciate your input Clare_S thanks!

Any time! I love my Duo wraps.
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:48pm
My two cents for what it is worth since I had the same dilemma. I ended up ordering 4 x-small thirsties and put some smalls and duo size 1s on my registry. I went with thirsties because they seemed to have the widest range weight category for the NB size and they are really reasonably priced. I also went with velcro to get a better fit. What I figured out when I got them home and practiced with them is that bigger is probably better when using flats since there is a lot to fold in there. I also compared the x-smalls to some NB sposies I got as a gift and the covers are bigger which makes sense.

I'm pretty sure my LO will be on the small size since both DH and I were small at birth. At least this is my rationale.
Tanaya
Writer/Photographer
Wife to wonderful Ryan
Mamma to 3 fur-babies: pittie Bella (8) and kitties, Ashes (10) and Stinky (16+).
Expecting 1st human baby 9/9/12
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 5:07pm
Update: I just got a NB Bummis cover as a gift. It is smaller than the x-small thirsties. But both sized down to their smallest seem about the same.
Tanaya
Writer/Photographer
Wife to wonderful Ryan
Mamma to 3 fur-babies: pittie Bella (8) and kitties, Ashes (10) and Stinky (16+).
Expecting 1st human baby 9/9/12
 Post Reply Post Reply