Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Wool during the summer??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 4 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wool during the summer??
    Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:48am
I saw this lately, talk about woolies for the summer. Really? I would not put on a wool sweater when it's 90 degrees outside EVEN if it's breathable.. What's the catch?
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
Sponsored Links

musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 195 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:53am
Wool breathes.  It's soft and comfy.  Imagine the difference between wool shorts and denim shorts--over a diaper.  Denim gets sweaty and wet.  The fabric is stiff and doesn't give, and binds a bit at the elastic waist.  There is evaporation, but not much air circulation of the sweat.  As for the diaper, the plastic cover holds in all the moisture, and it's right against the skin.  A good woolie that's on the thin side moves w/ the body.  It not only wicks away sweat, but also moisture from the diaper.  If it's good and soft, the waistband will be more comfortable than the denim one.  As long as you've got the LO in shorts, there's plenty of air circulation from the bottom, too.  In a soaker, the thighs and knees aren't covered by fabric at all.

All that said, I don't do wool-only in the summer, but oddly enough, I'm more likely to use wool over dipes in warm weather than I am in cold!
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 4 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:57am
Hmmm... That is so interesting to learn.
I mean for now I use wool on cold nights and add a wool blanket then too. I wouldn't think of it this way.
So is it actually more breathable/cooler than a pul cover?
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 4 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:58am
I wear the kids denim pants only when it's rainy and cool otherwise they wear shorts or leggings. I can't imagine a woolie under it..
I guess I *should* try it out..?

Edited by MamaKikow - 12 Apr 2012 at 11:01am

bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 199 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:59am
Yes for sure wool in the summer! Think of it this way - would you rather wear a wool sweater or a plastic trash bag (PUL) in the summer heat?  lol  All we did was fleece or wool in the summer. I was totally sold when one day I got him out of his carseat on a hot day and his back was totally soaked with sweat from his cotton t-shirt.... but the bottom of him felt COOL where his wool shorts were!

Now, that being said, we do use fleece too - not as breathable but still better than PUL imo and a lot better for the biggest mess on the planet that I had ;)  The kid can find a mudpuddle in the dessert :P
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 90 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:15am
I love wool and fleece in the summer!

I compare PUL to wearing a rain coat - they are hot and make you sweat, but if you put on a breathable jacket not nearly as warm. My older 2 got heat rash pretty often in the summer (except with MEAF) but I prefer wool and fleece.

I think fleece (or wool) shorties are the "coolest" option because they are so breathable with nothing snug on the leg to allow around to move around.

My youngest has been living in fleece shorts since I made 6 with 1.5 yards of fabric. I love them!!
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
kingapat View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 148 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:36am
Wool year long here...but especially in Summer!
Wool shorties, skirties, wraps and soakers....footies and longies for camping (love it for night under the tent). Comfy and breathable! Wool interlock is my favorite for the beach.
DD 8/96 DS 10/04

DS 9/08 DS 3/10 DD 9/11 DS 3/14
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 199 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:37am
Oh yes, and even *I* made fleece shorties last summer. If I can do it anyone can. lol  Fleece is so forgiving to sew....  they weren't perfect but you couldn't really tell!
boysniris View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote boysniris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:01am
My son is almost 3, and he wears fleece or wool year-round.  It's definitely cooler than PUL, kind of like wearing a sweater vs a plastic bag LOL!  I'd choose the sweater ;)
Melanie, mommy to two busy boys

Happy fleece :-)

EmotiBums
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 8:52am
These are some interesting things to read that will explain it. The last one has some history on it too.
http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_weblog/2005/11/wool_facts_behi.html

Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 8:57am
I have my wool soakers and shorties for little dude to wear this summer. Another advantage to wool or fleece in the summer is you don't get that horrible-knock-you-over baked in pee smell when you open a diaper because it's been able to breathe instead of cook like it would inside plastic.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 14 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:03am
wow, i always thought wool was ano-go for summer too. interesting...i might have to look more closely at wool ;)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:10am
Yes!  All the others have given great reasons :)  We use wool year round here too and only have a couple PUL covers in our stash, but I'm gearing up to go to 100% wool (shorties mostly) this summer.  

For those who feel like knit wool has too much of that winter sweater feeling, try out some interlock.  Most people don't even realize that interlock is wool at all if they don't know it (even my mom and DH still get confused sometimes and we've been using cloth and wool for 4+ years ).
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 4 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:39pm
Thanks so much for that link Shannon!
And thanks all for your input, really lots to think about.

zoobabes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote zoobabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 9:18pm
One of the main reasons we found (and fell in love with) wool a few years ago was because we were prone to heat rash in the warmer months under pul. We NEVER have any issues with overheating in wool and we use it year round full time. Knits and interlock!
Jodi - Head Zookeeper

Wife to my One True Love - Scott

Mama to CC-7, DJ- 6, SR-3.5, & IG -1 and my 4 furry kids

"All because two people fell in love..."
 Post Reply Post Reply