Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Gear researching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 306 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear researching
    Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:34pm
Holey Crumbcake!  I just lost an entire afternoon looking up carseats!  I finally settled on a Diono Radian R100 for S.  For some reason, his head suddenly sprouted up to the top of his older Roundabout, and the, "I need to get him a new seat this spring", turned into, "Uh, his seat is not safe at all, and is a ticking time bomb of expired, tired plastic Shocked!"  Sadly, I don't think I got it for a steal, since I didn't do my normal 2mo. stalking.  At least Amazon Prime saved the day.  Now, I just have to wait weeks and weeks for the blasted RF level adjuster to come.  He's going to be 2 next week (already!), so I can figure something out for now.

I also looked for a high-backed booster so that we could do 3-across in the back of the Odyssey when my parents visit us, but that seemed a lot more difficult to figure out.  We can use the Bubble Bum, but I don't like it for our long car ride when G will likely fall asleep (we're traveling 5hrs. away during their visit).  Maybe 2 Radians will give me more play back there?  I hear maybe the Parkway will do it, but the Recaro Vivo is also a contender?  At least the pricetag on those isn't going to give DH a heart attack.

Anyway, how do you go about researching your gear? 
Have to be in person?
Quick and dirty?
Tons of advice?
Check every forum and/or set of reviews?
Ask your 'Pin friends?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Sponsored Links

minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:21pm
reviews, checking it out in person and putting the kids in it, and the pin. 

we ended up with the recaro prosport for many reasons- the nice harnessing weight, the good reviews, we already have a recaro that is nice and they are a local company. we took ds and put him in the recaro, nautilus and britax fronteir and he picked the recaro as best for him. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(42)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:44pm
Car seats I check reviews, ask pin mammas, and then check out in person.  I like that BRU will let you try them out in your vehicle. 
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 204 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:58pm
Car Seats - Pin and Car-seat.org are my go-to

Other things... Pin first and then reviews online.

I don't get too caught up in online reviews though because it seems for every "rave" there is someone who says it is "awful" which makes me crazy

In our van I can get a Radian FFing outboard, Radian RFing center and GN outboard. The Radians puzzle together RFing and FFing really well IMO. I can't do a Radian RFing outboard in the 3rd row because of annoying plastic pieces on the seat, but center it works great!
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 204 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:59pm
Do you need the RFing adjuster to get a good fit? My older 2 were RFing in Radians with out the adjuster - DD until just shy of 4 and ODS 3.5.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 306 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

Do you need the RFing adjuster to get a good fit? My older 2 were RFing in Radians with out the adjuster - DD until just shy of 4 and ODS 3.5.

From what I understand, it is not possible to use it RF in the plus-one (tiny) seat in a Honda Odyssey w/o the adjuster if you have a 2010 or earlier.  We have a Radian already, but it's only been used by the olders FF in other places.  I'm not 100% sure I'll do extended RF consistently, but I want to have it as an option for that location, in particular.  Getting the second Radian was actually an easy decision because I like the one we have, and I need the narrow seat if I want to be creative w/ installs for the 3 boys.  We already have 2 Frontiers for the spacious factor.
Christine
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 306 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:56pm
I may end up doing the Radian RF just so the seats puzzle together better!
Christine
 Post Reply Post Reply