Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

New to CD, overwhelmed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to CD, overwhelmed
    Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 4:46pm
I am a total newbie. LO is still in the tummy. I'm pretty much set on starting with prefolds and flats, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed and undereducated.

I've spent a LOT of time on GMD and really like their advice, but I feel like no matter what site I go to, I'm not getting 100% product comparison.

I come here and realize I know so very very little.

So here is my question. For all you experienced CDers tell me some stuff you wished you would have known when you were sitting in my shoes.

My goals with CDing is to save money, and be more healthy. I also will be going back to work and have shared washers so convenience is also a factor.

TIA
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 4:58pm
Congrats on your pregnancy!

My advice is to start simple, you can always add more later on if you want to try new things. You'll never regret having prefolds and flats on hand. GMD is awesome, you can't go wrong with their products. My stash primarily consists of prefolds, flats and PUL covers. Especially with a shared washer you'll want something easy to wash so I think you're right on with the cotton diapers.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 124 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 5:12pm
Erin is right on. Start simple. I've seen your registry list on here and it is awesome and really simple- prefolds, flats, a few fitteds, and some great covers. You can't go wrong with any of those things. You are already way ahead of the curve registering for cloth! And, if you decide you would rather go another direction with cloth after trying those things out, you can because you mostly have NB and small sizes. You may prefer the Workhorses to the flats and prefolds or you may fall in love with your flats.

Some people have good luck washing their pockets or AIOs in shared laundry facilities, but I think most people with washing issues prefer cotton diapers. You can't go wrong with anything from GMD. You know more than you think you do!

Edited by Clare_S - 11 Apr 2012 at 5:14pm
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
Ditto previous posters! I "wasted" a lot of money trying things out. I wish I had of started experimenting with my sewing machine more in the beginning instead. That's when I've had the most fun.

I have always loved prefolds and pul covers. I just added some flats lately and love how easy they are to wash. I couldn't do with out my mother ease products for night time and I use homemade wool covers at night with them.

My daycare provider did cloth for me. I folded the prefolds in thirds in the covers for her and all she had to do was attach them. I rinsed the poppies at night. I had more covers that most, but the extra few covers made it really easy.

Edited by mom4moju - 11 Apr 2012 at 6:53pm
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 347 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 7:03pm
Ditto everyone else.  Start simple and try a few things to see what you like.  Everyone likes different things.

I really like to shop FSOT if I want to try something.

I have a very mixed stash and that works for me.  DH will only use Pockets/AIO with aplix and that it what I send to daycare too.  I have a pretty large stash so I dont have to stress about washing/drying/folding/putting away during the week.   

As for daycare--I suggest taking a few to show them first and see what they are most comfortable with.  You want to make it easy for them but not more complicated for you.  IF that makes sense.  I prefer pockets over AIO the wash up easier, IMO.  You can stuff them with flats to make them really easy.  Some people don't like stuffing them but I find it doesn't take any longer than folding flats.   For me I watch a couple of my recorded shows or football with DH and fold all the diapers on Sunday. 
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 7:16pm
FSOT?
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 347 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by lawahine lawahine wrote:

FSOT?

For Sale or Trade. 

If you don't have issues buying used diapers you can get some great deals especially when you are figuring out what you like and don't like
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 56 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:40pm
Agree with Previous Pinners (PP's) Start out simple and then branch out if needed.

I would start with PF's and Flats with some good covers and see how it works. I loved PF's and Flats for a new born and under a good cover they worked great

My sister has not used anything other than PF's and Flats and never branched out. There are a lot of options but sometimes simpler really is better
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 124 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by mamma22boys mamma22boys wrote:

Originally posted by lawahine lawahine wrote:

FSOT?

For Sale or Trade. 

If you don't have issues buying used diapers you can get some great deals especially when you are figuring out what you like and don't like

Yes, this. FSOT is a forum here on the Pin. I look here if I want to do any experimenting without paying full price.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
 Post Reply Post Reply