Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Brooder etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 140 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brooder etiquette
    Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:26pm
Question: can I just add a thick layer of shavings a few days in a row, kinda like the deep litter method in the brooder, then clean it all out when I think it really needs it? The shavings are staying fairly clean because we use a lot and they're drying out fast from the lamp, thus no smell. I just feel like its kind of a waste of a fresh new layer of litter every single day if "deep litter" would work in the brooder too. Thanks!
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
Sponsored Links

mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:52pm
I am using this method.  We got ours on Saturday and I cleaned it out completely today but probably won't do that again for a few days nothing seems really messy at all so far.  There are 18 in our brooder box now and its working so I can't see why not.
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 150 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:57pm
Yep, we only cleaned ours out about once a week. Use your judgement when it gets smelly or messy then change the litter.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 147 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 6:39pm
I'm cleaning mine about once a week or so - mainly when it gets stinky. I've been able to slow down a little since I rigged up a basket to hold their water - they kept perching on it and dumping it which was making quite a mess! I will sprinkle a thin layer just so it's "cleaner" (cover up the poop) to get me buy a couple days longer. 

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by moonangel12 moonangel12 wrote:

I'm cleaning mine about once a week or so - mainly when it gets stinky. I've been able to slow down a little since I rigged up a basket to hold their water - they kept perching on it and dumping it which was making quite a mess! I will sprinkle a thin layer just so it's "cleaner" (cover up the poop) to get me buy a couple days longer. 

Yes I know what you mean I have my waterer sitting on a plate right now that is turned upside down but they still manage to get the shavings in it.  It doesn't bother me much because the water gets warm due to the heat lamp so I just change it couple times a day but it is rather annoying to try to rig something to get them to stop pooping in it too.
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 140 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:28am
Thanks gals. I'm so excited, my life just got a whole lot easier. No more cleaning out the brooder every day after all these great responses, I'm just adding a bit of litter until I start to smell it more in the house. For now we're good though!
I'm also getting my nipple waterers tomorrow I believe, so that will be super nice to minimize mess and cleanup, and give the girls more room to run around. They aren't cramped yet but they will be soon!
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:29am
I might try this too this time around.  I couldn't last year because of the pen i was brooding in, but with the stock tanks solid sides i bet i can go more than 1 day between cleanings.  I know i'm not going to be able to pull this off with the ducklings though, but that's ok.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:50am
As long as there's no smell, you should be good. When I had mine inside, we had to clean every day or every other day, but I had, like, 30 chicks in a large Rubbermaid bin. LOL 
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 140 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:47am
Well it's been 2 days and is going well. I'm seriously going to go as long as I can (until the litter gets too deep for the brooder or it starts to smell!) and I can see that being about 4-5 days at the most. Even cleaning it out twice a week would be awesome compared to what I was doing, twice a day! I added my nipple waterers to the far wall of the brooder away from the light and they love them! I need something to put down under the watering area though, because they let a lot of drips down onto the litter/plywood and it's quite damp over there. I'm still so excited to get them in the coop!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply