Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Chicken supply prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chicken supply prices
    Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:32pm
I was wondering what good prices are on the necessary chicken supplies, such as feed, wood shavings, etc. I just paid $18.50 for this 50lb bag of medicated chick feed and $7.50 for that big bale of shavings. What do you think? Should I keep going to this local feed place or shop around?
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 162 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:18pm
That's a little higher than we pay, but it could be location too. I pay $12 for feed and $5 for the shavings.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
Rgypsyrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rgypsyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 10:30am
I would say location plays a big part, Purina is mostly manufactured in the central /midwest. You can probably save if you find a more locally prepared feed.   For shavings check around if you don't mind extra work check with local wood workers (cabinet makers ect) we get 90% of our shavings free from a local cabinet maker.  Also TSC, farm n Fleet may be other options.  
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:55pm
It does depend on your location.  I pay less for my stuff than people do an hour away.  I'm currently paying $5.75 for a bale of shavings at TSC and my layer feed is $14 or $15 i think for a bag.  But with that said i sometimes cheat and buy shavings locally.  All the TSC stores are 40+ minutes away so with gas prices and it often being a special trip it can be more cost effective to pay a bit more at a store that's closer.  So if you do shop around don't forget to factor in gas and how easily you can get there.  Check with hardware store too.  Most hardware stores around here also sell shavings and feed.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:19pm

We'll for DuMor Chick Starter 20lb bag here is $8.79 and the 50lb bag is $15.69 and for the bedding 5.5 cubic feet coverage is $5.49

Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:35pm
Ok so it sounds like I pay quite a bit more at my closest feed store. I will check around for other local places to see if anything is cheaper but if not I will continue to support them because they aren't a chain, it's a mom and pop shop with quite a local history and I love the idea of keeping them in business :)
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by stegmanjessica stegmanjessica wrote:

Ok so it sounds like I pay quite a bit more at my closest feed store. I will check around for other local places to see if anything is cheaper but if not I will continue to support them because they aren't a chain, it's a mom and pop shop with quite a local history and I love the idea of keeping them in business :)

We're thinking of doing the same thing.  I found an organic grainery in town that is locally owned with very decent prices and one hardware store in town carries chavings for about a dollar more than what i've been paying.  The gas is getting to be a bit much to run to the closest TSC and get rotten customer service, and the good stores are 45-50 minutes away which is a lot of gas.  Plus i'm already in town at least once a week anyhow killing time and might as well get our poultry stuff while i'm there.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 136 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:20pm
We're shopping around right now too. We'll probably wind up paying more than you are though because we want organic, non-GMO feed preferably locally made. We found 2 places up in Bellingham that make feed now it's just finding the cheapest suppliers down by us.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:25pm
Meghan, are you giving your chicks medicated feed? We went with medicated because we got them from 2 different places and have so many (triple what you have), but I'll probably switch to organic feed for them when they're grown. I called the grange and they're more expensive than Reber ranch for both things though.

I'm excited though because Isaac just stopped by Petsmart and bought this food container for our feed. It was expensive but it's also indestructible, meant for food, airtight, and holds at least a 50lb bag of feed. It'll save us in the long run since the feed will never go bad or get infested with bugs while stored outside. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753798
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:52pm
Nice container.  I might have to look for one of those too.  We've been trying to think of a way to store feed inside the coops since everyone will have different needs for a while and some forever and that's a lot of feed cans taking up room in the barn.  Your container might just work for us if it's short enough to fit under the nest boxes.
Jess

P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:54pm
Jess Petsmart has a lot of really nice dog food containers, you should definitely check there!
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 4:12pm
I was trying to think if we had a Petsmart around here and i think there might be.  Next time we have a "date night" we'll have to go that direction and check it out.  I know our local Petco doesn't have anything decent as i already looked there.
Jess

P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 4:19pm
Petsmart has free shipping over $49 right now ;)
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 4:35pm
OK, i'll have to remember that. ;)
Jess

sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 136 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 11:54pm
No, were giving non-medicated organic non-GMO feed since we only have a few chicks and we try to keep the brooder very clean.

I'm looking at a bin where we can just put the bag right in it. I'm not quite sure how chicken feed compares to dog food but I was just reading an article about how you shouldn't empty your dog feed bag into a big plastic bin like that because the fats from the food stick to the plastic and start to go rancid. Then when you dump the next bag of food in it won't stay as long.

That is if we even get a bin at all... I just hooked up with a group that does a bulk order of feed and you can either do 40lb bags or a 350lb barrel of feed. DH is interested in the barrel but I still need to research how long it will keep since that is A Lot of feed!
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 12:49am
I'll keep an eye on our chick feed but there were so many good reviews of this bin we got, even from some people that have been using the same one for 10+ years, that I'm not too worried about it ;) I might be interested in going in on that bulk order too, would you get me the info somehow? Thanks Meghan!
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 1:23am
Originally posted by jessmomto2 jessmomto2 wrote:

I was trying to think if we had a Petsmart around here and i think there might be.  Next time we have a "date night" we'll have to go that direction and check it out.  I know our local Petco doesn't have anything decent as i already looked there.

Totally off topic but made me chuckle when I thought of date night looking at chicken feeders.
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
 Post Reply Post Reply