Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

Yarn Fiber for Fingerless Mitts and More?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(48)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yarn Fiber for Fingerless Mitts and More?
    Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 2:04pm
I am pulling together a set for my aunt's grandaughter, she wants fingerless mitts, legwarmers and a hat. My question is what fiber should I use? I want something soft, yet durable and cool (she lives in California) and something that will hold it's shape. I was thinking acrylic like Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn, which I use a lot of, but just wondering if that's the right way to go? Any opinions?
~Morgan~SAHM to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
Sponsored Links

3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 2:13pm
There's a bamboo blend (bamboo ewe?) from Stitch Nation I get at JA's that I think might be good for warmer weather and easy washability.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(48)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 2:26pm
Thanks Sam! I will check that out :)
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(48)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 4:16pm
They only had two colors :(

I found this

What do we think about this one?
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:20pm
The main thing I'd say for mitts or legwarmers is that you want a yarn with at least some stretch to it so it can spring back.  I've only knit mitts with wool or wool blends, but anything with some stretch should be fine.  Not sure about acrylic, but definitely not 100% cotton.
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(48)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:50pm
Okay thanks!! Well I think I am going to go with KP's Comfy, it's cotton and acrylic. It says it has a little acrylic microfiber for elasticity?? So...we'll see ;D
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(48)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:51pm
Also, she wants the mitts to go up past her elbows :/ Man I hope they stay up! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply