Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

Explorer Vest pattern?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Explorer Vest pattern?
    Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 10:17pm
Has any one seen a pattern for an Explorer Vest like this one?

I am already thinking a head to ODS's dinosaur birthday party. I am planning on having the boys dig up dinosaurs in the back yard and thought it would be fun to have a vest with pockets and I could put things to help in their exploration in the pockets.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sponsored Links

mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 127 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 11:32pm
I have that book, and was going to make the vest, but my mom bought fishing vests from llbean.  It's a cute book with other fun patterns in it, so might be worth buying, but if you are planning to make a bunch of them as party favors could you use this tutorial, leave off the fringe, and add lots of pockets? http://www.danamadeit.com/2008/07/tutorial-and-pattern-frontier-vest.html

Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 10:18am
Thanks Mary Beth I was hoping you would have a link

I was thinking it would be a fun book to get because they did have fun patterns. There are only going to be 3 boys, so I am trying to decide if I should make or buy something. I found some good inexpensive options that are already made.

Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 278 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:01pm

This looks like a fun tutorial for explorer bags.  She even gives links to find the stuff that she stashed in the bags.  I am going to make these for my kids.  http://chezbeeperbebe.blogspot.com/2011/06/make-this-nature-explorer-bag.html

Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 10:07am
What a fun bag! Now to figure out if a bag would be more fun than a vest?

They are boys and I was going to fill the pockets with things - tools for their dinosaur dig. I am going to hid dinosaurs around the yard and give them a map to follow to find the dinosaurs.

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:05pm
I just came across this pattern It is for an adult but wondering if I just don't enlarge it as much if I could make it work

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:07pm
Maybe use a mix of the one Mary Beth linked and the one I just did - that way I could get the size but add pockets.

If I could get it together I could make a vest and a bag - now they just need a hat too

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:10pm
I could just do flat pockets but thinking more three dimensional pockets would be nice. Or take the pockets from the bag (since they pop out a bit) and put them on the vest

Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 278 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:55pm
I would for sure do 3 dimensional pockets on the vest if you go with that.  And if you still are deciding between the two and have enough time to make either of them I would go with the one that would end up being the least expensive to make.  If they both take about the same time and are the same cost than I really don't know! 
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:34pm
The vest would be easier, but the bag would be so fun. I think I could take the idea of the 3 dimensional pockets from the bag and put them on a vest.

I only have to make 3 of each and have 6 weeks to get them all done. I made 6 dresses in about 3 weeks for DD's party so I "could" do it I am sure, just don't know if I am ready to

Both are "simple" patterns in theory

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:35pm
Cost too... vest would be less fabric, but the bags would be about 1 yard total so not a crazy amount either

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:37pm
If I do the bag and vest I might skip the interior pockets and just do the exterior pocketson the bag. If it is a success maybe I will make a bag for my nieces birthday, one for me too

Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 278 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:47pm

LOL I love bags so I am probably going to start making some soon and stocking them with the cool stuff.  They would be great birthday presents for ds1's friends and dd's. 

And I think I want to make one for myself too.
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:50pm
I think I am going to go for it and make both - a vest and the bag. They both might not be quite as fancy, but I think it will be fun Better get to the fabric store and start working before I loose my crafty bug and don't want to finish

Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 278 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

I think I am going to go for it and make both - a vest and the bag. They both might not be quite as fancy, but I think it will be fun Better get to the fabric store and start working before I loose my crafty bug and don't want to finish
I know how that is.  I have to make some crayon rolls for dd's party this saturday, I want to make her a dress to wear for it too, plus I need to do the cake and some other party favors.  But I used up a lot of my crafty bug last week making her doll and then hand sewing the hem for her easter dress (my mom sewed the rest of it) and I haven't been able to make myself do it yet.  I need to just jump in and start tonight after the kids are in bed I guess!
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 127 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:34pm
How about this cargo pocket tutorial for pockets on the vests? http://chazandginger.blogspot.com/2011/06/3-d-cargo-pocket-tutorial.html You could make them any size you want.
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 278 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 11:49pm
That is a cool pocket tutorial Mary Beth!  I am going to pin it to use for the boys for shorts in the summer.  I have cotton camo fabric that has been waiting for something . . .
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:51am
Mary Beth - Thank you!! Those are going to be perfect and so simple too!! YAY!!

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Nuttygirl Nuttygirl wrote:

Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

I know how that is.  I have to make some crayon rolls for dd's party this saturday, I want to make her a dress to wear for it too, plus I need to do the cake and some other party favors.  But I used up a lot of my crafty bug last week making her doll and then hand sewing the hem for her easter dress (my mom sewed the rest of it) and I haven't been able to make myself do it yet.  I need to just jump in and start tonight after the kids are in bed I guess!

Hope you had a productive evening last night. That is quite a to-do list by Saturday

Post Reply Post Reply