Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

convection vs non convection stoves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 246 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: convection vs non convection stoves
    Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:09pm
we're starting to look at stoves. not to purchase right away, but i always like to know a bit about things before i buy them. since this will be the first time i am buying a stove, i want to explore all the possibilities. yes, i know i am a geek like that!

in my research i am coming across convection and non convection. what exactly is the difference between the two, aside from $50? do you find having convection ovens more useful? we have always had convection stoves (i think) but i'm not 100% sure what they do. i *think* it has to do with more even temp? i'm not sure.

the stoves we're looking at are ceramic cooktops and electric. sadly, we can't have a gas stove yet. but one day....

Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
Sponsored Links

RebeccaL View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Perennial Pinner
9 years 73 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote RebeccaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:16pm
convection means that it has a fan that circulates the heat better than a regular oven (where heat rises only).  My mom had one at various times and my brother has one, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.  I think it does cut down on cooking time a bit.
Rebecca, Wife to André Oct/11.
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(31)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 248 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:32pm
We have a convection oven and I love it.  I will never go back to a regular oven again.  The fan circulating the air makes a huge difference.  We have electic smooth top stove. 

For example if you have three trays of cookies--in a normal oven you would have to rotate the pans through out cooking to make sure they cook evenly.  Every time you open the oven to do that the temp drops.  With a convection oven you can cook all three at the same time without having to rotate.

Also when you cook in a regular oven the heat comes from the bottem.  That increases the chance of casseroles getting more done on the bottem, or faster on the bottom or the top. 
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 246 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 10:23pm
ahh okay thanks Rebecca and Emily.

Emily, that is the type of stove we are looking at too. A smooth top. we have one now and i like it. i was a bit worried at first but it seems to work well.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(31)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 248 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 10:29pm

I was a little scared at first too Jenn.. But after almost 4 years it love it.   It is so easy to clean.   DH was the one who really wanted the convection oven and i was a little skeptical at first.  Wasn't really inclined to pay the extra.  now I am so glad we did.  I didn't realize how much I like it until I had to do some baking at my mom's house.  She has a regular standard oven. 

Emily Wife to Jake
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 246 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 10:34pm
I think it will be worth the extra $50 for the convection oven.

Thanks again ladies :)
Jenn

P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(31)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 248 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 10:35pm
holy cow that is the more expensive it is.  I would definalty get it. 
Emily Wife to Jake
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 12:07am
Um if it's only $50 more totally get the convection! lol It's a lot more of a price difference down here :P
mommy2 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:56am
$50. isn't that much more.  i would go for it.  i have a regular stove and I've always been interested inconvection.  My Inlaws have a new fancy one, where the convection is on the bottom and optional in the middle oven and they love it.  My MIL said things cook faster and more evenly than with the "regular" ovens.   Can't wait to see what you end up getting.  I'm always checking out appliances because mine are really old and when they die, i want to be prepared LOL

I really want one of the stoves that has the two ovens in it, so you can cook multiple things at the same time.  That would be so cool.  (way off topic, but I had to share Big smile)
~Laura~
Mama to Kelsea 9, Ryley 7 & Abby 3

Wife to Shane and Full time Nursing Student.

to,488px);}");
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 23 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 10:04pm
I would definitely recommend convection. As said, it cooks much more evenly, and may even reduce cooking time in some cases. Professional ovens are always convection. That is why things come out so great in restaurants and bakeries...er, cooked evenly anyway. It won't improve bad cooking and baking lol. Anyway, I would spend more on it, no question.
Holly
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 339 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:27am
yes, I would get it for sure. I wish we had a convection oven. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
BTM View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote BTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:04pm
We have a convection/microwave oven. Our regular oven is broken and we haven't found one to replace it. It is s non-standard size and we can't decide what to to do. Anyway, I'm doing all my cooking in the convection/micro oven. Baking cookies and roasting veggies works great! But cooking meat takes way longer than my regular oven ever did. It takes 40 minutes to bake 2 chicken breasts! My regular oven took about 20 minutes. I will say though, that the chicken comes out super moist. It just takes forever. Bone in chicken breasts take 50 minutes! Maybe I'm doing somethin wrong....
wife, mom to sweet TAZ, and sweet growing toddler AJZ giada md
Mama Roxy View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mama Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:14pm
I purchased two years ago a large toaster/counter convection oven. I use it almost exclusively as it will hold a 9x13 pan easily. I've also managed to find a cookie sheet that fits it too. If and when I replace the stove i have I will certainly buy one with a convection oven. Worth every cent. 
Roxy
"Are you old?" asked by Ari my then 4 yr. old GD to a older woman in a store. The lady replied "yes" Ari then says..."I can tell by your face". EEK!
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 54 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:02pm
It is nice.  I think you can usually turn off the convection if you want and use it without the fan so for $50 extra dollars I would go for it.

I can't get one because they don't make them very inexpensively if you have a gas stove and I am willing to trade a convection oven for a 6 burner gas stove!  That also bakes pretty evenly. 
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(9)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 132 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 12:06am
I also like our convection oven, and would buy one again, but does anyone else think it takes FOREVER to preheat? It might be the brand I have
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (Jun 11)
 Post Reply Post Reply