Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Chicken Waterer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gotchickens View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 178 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chicken Waterer
    Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 4:29pm
Having tested this chicken waterer for a week now, I thought I would share. This is the most awesome chicken waterer EVER! No poop in the water, no wet bedding, and it gives the chicks/chickens something to do. I bought mine from D & B Supply but other livestock supply places may carry it, too. If not here are a few I found on ebay:

http://popular.ebay.com/business-industrial-k-z/poultry-waterer/poultry-waterer-nipple.htm

You can attach these to any plastic container or make a water system with PVC pipe using them. They come in threaded (which is what I have) or push in style. Mine has the clear rubber O ring for a better water tight seal. 
Sarah ~:>

Full time Mom to Peter, Joshua, and Helen. Two peas in a pod with the love of my life Dan 7/4/2009.k
Sponsored Links

sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 93 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 4:31pm
awesome! i have a pack of these stashed away for when we finally move and have our own birds.  Did you do a pipe watering system or a hanging jug? 
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 178 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 4:57pm
Actually, at the moment I have a pop bottle with a chicken nipple attached to the cap on it. I had a lady give my some industrial strength velco to attach the bottle to the side of the brooder. When the chicks get older I would like to try a food grade bucket, of some kind, with these attached. I have this idea of using shelf holders to hold the bucket on the wall of the coop.      

Full time Mom to Peter, Joshua, and Helen. Two peas in a pod with the love of my life Dan 7/4/2009.k
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 122 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 5:25pm
Nice! I think that is what we are planning on doing with a food grade bucket and PVC pipe once the girls move out to the coop.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
chicka.chicka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:03pm
I'm using those for my chicks, too (I have 4 seven-weekers and 26 1- to 4-weekers), and they're totally awesome.  I put 4 each into the bottom of two 4-gallon buckets.  One is hanging near the brooding lamp for the tiny ones and the 7-weekers are in a cage with the bucket sitting on top and the nipples poking through the holes of the cage.  When I finish my coop, I'm going to run a PVC pipe system with them.  It will be hooked up to a 5-gallon bucket up high with a hose.  I don't have a spigot I can dedicate to it, so the bucket will work best.  I'm excited about it.
LORI, Wife to Shane & Mom to: Benjamin(14), Elizabeth(13), Thomas(11), Olivia(9), Joshua(4), Rebekah(2), and Andrew (11/27/13)
~*~Parenting consists of long days and short years.~*~
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:09pm
Do any of you 'experts' have pictures or links to tutorials? I would love to be able to do something like that for less mess (how in the world do the chickens know how to work it?!), I'm interested in using a bucket and putting some nipples in the bottom of it. How many would I need for 12 full grown chickens? Thanks in advance! This is perfect, I really didn't want to buy a full size waterer for them to knock over all the time. 
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:32pm
Well I'm always excited with new ideas so  I went ahead and bought a pack of 10 from ebay so that even if some break in the process of installing, or some wear out from prolonged use, we'll have more than we need. I think I read you need one nipple for every 3 chickens so I should only need 4-5 under a 5gal bucket. 
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 178 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:32pm
Yeah, I read 3 chickens for every nipple too so you should have more than enough. LOL! Chickens are attracted to it by the red color and pecking is what makes the water come out of it. Since chickens peck at everything they pick it up fast, pecking equals water. Here is a Youtube video on how to make one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfv_A00rTgk&feature=related 

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 149 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 8:39pm
Those are so nice. We used those for our meat birds last year. So much less mess! Not sure why we aren't using them with the laying hens... I wonder if they would have trouble figuring it out now?
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:22pm
All I know is that as soon as I get mine in the mail I'll be switching the chickies over to them. That way they're already used to them before they go out to the coop, not quite such a big shock all at once. I will just use a soda water bottle too I think. 
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:40am
Very interesting.  We've never had a problem with them knocking over their waterers or making messes with them except when we had too many roosters.  When they'd fight they'd knock it over occasionally.  But i might look at them anyhow.  I've been wanting to put a second waterer in the run and saw the nice blue buckets with the nipples in the catalogs this year.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:14am
Bumping this up because I should get my waterer nipples tomorrow. I have 15 chicks in the brooder right now. How many waterers can I get away with? My girls don't seem to drink very much compared with how much they eat! They are very social eaters and sometimes every hole in the feeder trough is occupied, but when it comes to water there's never more than 2-3 at the same time. Should I have just one water nipple in the brooder or should I do 2 to play it safe? Thanks! I can't wait for less maintenance! I think just today between 9am and 8pm I dumped out the contents of the water trough at least 6 times because there was so much bedding and poop in there every time I looked! Ugh...chickens are disgusting Tongue
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:35pm
Bumping this because our chicks are coming in a couple weeks and I'm wondering - can I use the nipples right from the start, or should I give them water in a dish for a few days and then transition?
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:39pm
You can definitely use the nipples right from the start.  Since the nipples are red, the chicks are naturally drawn to it and will peck it, which makes water come out.  It takes them literally one second to figure out how to use them.
LORI, Wife to Shane & Mom to: Benjamin(14), Elizabeth(13), Thomas(11), Olivia(9), Joshua(4), Rebekah(2), and Andrew (11/27/13)
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:41pm
Jessica, did you get the information you needed?  You should have 1 nipple for every 2-3 chicks.  I have 24 chicks and 8 nipples and it seems to be enough for them.
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 174 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:43pm
Thanks Lori. So do I have to worry about "dipping" their beaks when they come like I would with a traditional waterer? 
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:46pm
I wouldn't.  Of course, you could always hold each one of them up individually to the nipples and wait for them to peck at it.  Chances are, though, they would discover it as they are exploring their new environment.

My guess is that, if you are getting them from a breeder/retailer, they will have already been exposed to water, so they should be fine.

Edited by chicka.chicka - 27 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:13pm
I did get the info, thanks Lori! Erin, my girls figured it Out instantly. If they're day-olds though, I would hold them up to it and touch their beaks to it and wait for a drop, just to be safe and know that they can find their water.
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:31am
After our troubles this week i'd make absolutely sure that each chick knows where to find water and has gotten a good drink before you offer any food or let them explore their new home.  Then if you get anyone who will not drink or isn't drinking well i'd be dipping that chick every half hour or so to try your best to get them going.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
 Post Reply Post Reply