Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Anyone heard of OAS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone heard of OAS?
    Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:22am
Oral Allergy Syndrome (I was NOT going to put that as the title LOL). I think I have finally figured out some of my food issues! A lady at church was telling me about it, but at the time didn't have a name for it. I was looking something up and found the term... once I started researching a bit more it all makes sense! For years I have had issues with my mouth tingling when I ate certain things. I just thought it was an acidic thing (suffered from canker sores my whole life). My two main culprits lately have been bananas and wheat which blows my initial theory out of the water. I have a bunch of environmental allergies that I was on shots for for years. I am essentially allergic to trees, dust and grass LOL. That was 8 years ago and I think things have gotten worse (as in allergic to more) since pregnancy and stuff. I'm going to call my old allergist to see if they will give me a list of my main allergens to see if they line up with what I am finding online for foods. I'm also one of maybe 2% of people who have had allergic reactions to honey (if I eat too much of it I get hives on my neck and jaw line). I guess maybe that goes along with the OAS??

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05
SAHM to JJ (ODS)~08/07, ME (ODD)~05/09, LG (YDD)~04/11, DA (YDS)~12/12!!

Pampered Chef anyone?
Sponsored Links

littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:32pm
I've heard my niece and BIL talk about this. My niece gets tingling and swelling when she eats cantaloupe.
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by littlehands littlehands wrote:

I've heard my niece and BIL talk about this. My niece gets tingling and swelling when she eats cantaloupe.

That's another one I have issues with. And tomatoes, kiwi, oranges, and it seems like lots of other things. We had Hebrew National hot dogs last night and they made my mouth feel like it was on fire for some reason! DH is an even bigger wuss than I am when it comes to spicy stuff so I don't think it was the hot dog, but me having a reaction of some sort.

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:51pm
It definitely runs on BILs side of the family. His mom, I believe, also has stuff she can't tolerate.

I don't anything else about it, but you're definitely not alone.
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:59pm
I just called to get my allergy test results from a few years back, but they are in storage and it would be $35 to get them out Thumbs Down. For $15 more I could pay the co pay to get retested (which I need to do anyway). Bummer!

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
TBGB View Drop Down
P'interested
P'interested

Post Options Post Options   Quote TBGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 10:53pm
Hi! I have not heard of it, but maybe that,s what I have too.  With my second pregnancy I became allergic to pinapple..moth and throat getting bumps and doesn,t feel good.  This pregnancy it started up with strawberries too, and now all dairy products.  Even the tiniest bit in deli meat slice.  I,m hoping this clears up.  Especially the dairy part.  Are those the same type of symptoms you have?
RachandSoph View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachandSoph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 2:20am
Renee do you have a latex allergy? Alot of the foods you are listing are cross reactive with a latex allergy. Sophie has a latex(allergy) sensitivity(allergist said to avoid as it would become much worse), along with being Celiac.

You might find this interesting...

P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by RachandSoph RachandSoph wrote:

Renee do you have a latex allergy? Alot of the foods you are listing are cross reactive with a latex allergy. Sophie has a latex(allergy) sensitivity(allergist said to avoid as it would become much worse), along with being Celiac.

You might find this interesting...

I don't *think* I do, but according to that article you can test positive for it and not have any reactions. Interesting! I do remember one time in HS taking a CPR class and my mouth felt funny. The teacher told me to go wash it really well b/c it might have been a reaction to the latex or just the cleaner. That was the only time though. The lady at church who first mention the food/environmental allergen link has a latex allergy and I know her children have a LOT of food sensitivities that people kind of roll their eyes at (her and I are both looked at as kind of "weird" for a lot of the life decisions we make). It would be great if she could link the two and have a known reason for their food issues, not just "they can't have it b/c it makes their nose stuffy" which is what my MIL deems as a bogus reason (I totally understand it though!).

It will be interesting to see if the testing shows anything as far as foods go. They have suspected a wheat sensitivity for me for years, but I kind of ignored it (it's really hard to cut out one of your staple foods without a definitely black/white reason telling you it's bad for you). My stomach feels SO much better the last few days though after cutting it out! I didn't realize how bloated and yucky I truly was feeling until now. I have had a bit here and there (usually b/c I don't think about it until after I start eating) but am getting alot better. I still have a lot of joint swelling and pain, but I think that's tied to dairy Ouch. I remember it going away when I went dairy free while nursing ODD. It's sad I don't have the willpower when it's for myself, but I did when it was for her. It's going to be a total lifestyle change. I'm almost hoping the tests come back positive so I have some definite answers for other people (not really myself) - like the above issues with my MIL and her cousin. They don't believe anything is wrong unless a doctor can test for it and show you results - if they can't then it must be in your head Wacko

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by TBGB TBGB wrote:

Hi! I have not heard of it, but maybe that,s what I have too.  With my second pregnancy I became allergic to pinapple..moth and throat getting bumps and doesn,t feel good.  This pregnancy it started up with strawberries too, and now all dairy products.  Even the tiniest bit in deli meat slice.  I,m hoping this clears up.  Especially the dairy part.  Are those the same type of symptoms you have?

No fun! Hopefully it does clear up!

By bumps, do you mean canker sore type things on the inside (open sores essentially)? I get them all.the.time and now I do wonder if it's linked to food allergies/sensitivities. I always blamed acidic foods, but looking back some of the things I was labeling as "acidic" might just be ones I am reacting to. I also get hives along my jaw line and down my neck when I eat certain things (haven't quite nailed those down yet... I do know sometimes honey).

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 5:24pm
I really didn't realize how many issues I have been having until I cut somethings out! I was eating rice/sesame crackers with cheese last night and it was the weirdest feeling! It was like my body was just waiting for my mouth to start tingling and burning. Really hard to explain. Like my mouth knew the drill and was preparing for it, but it never came! Awesome!!! I hate it took me so many years to start figuring this out, but at least I'm starting now!

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:07pm
Well crud... I made those raw carrot ball things from P'ingredients and evidently I have a sensitivity/allergy to something in them (most likely the carrots and/or apples since they seem to be some of the main culprits for OAS in that they are listed for a couple key allergens). I was fine, but now the whole area around my mouth and nose is itching and is creeping up to my temples Thumbs DownUnhappy. I'm curious but also afraid of what the allergist might say since this is happening so much lately. It seems like all my favorite foods are triggers!

Edited by moonangel12 - 09 Apr 2012 at 6:12pm

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
RachandSoph View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachandSoph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:32pm
Bummer!
 Post Reply Post Reply