Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Wheat Belly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheat Belly
    Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 5:03pm
...anyone read this one? I'm reading it now, after finishing Real Food last week. Eat Fat, Lose Fat is next!

I'm definitely finding it very interesting. I feel like he says pretty much the same thing in several chapters of the book, just applied to different areas - it could be much more condensed and concise. But it certainly makes sense, and even has DH wanting to try a wheat-free diet, something I never thought I'd hear him say! I need prep time to get ready for that, but I certainly think it would be interesting. I have been cutting back in our wheat and grain consumption some, trying to re-tool my meal planning without relying so much on grain products.
Sponsored Links

RebeccaL View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Perennial Pinner
9 years 272 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote RebeccaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 6:57pm
My mom did and at first, she was SO ANNOYING going on and on and on and on about wheat and how evil it was.  Now, after about 2 or 3 weeks of trying it, she's now talking about it more along the lines of eliminating most of the simple carbs from their diet.  She's annoyed that she isn't really losing the weight like the book claims she should, but she's diabetic and her sugars are much better under control.

At first, she was gravitating towards gluten free products, but soon realized that gluten free doesn't necessarily mean good food.  It really depends what it is ....some things when they take out the gluten they put something in that (in my opinion) is worse.  It's like it bugs me when they take tofu and make it LOOK LIKE MEAT.  I mean, let's call it what it is....tofu, it's not meat. 

Rebecca, Wife to André Oct/11. EDD Feb 2/15
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:05am
My aunt was raving about it at Christmas. She commented on how the canadian diabetes association still recommends a lot of bread in the diets of diabetics, mostly because we are a huge wheat growing country. His thinking, I believe, is that they really shouldn't be eating much at all
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(29)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 182 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:39am
Another friend just recommended it. It on my to-read list! :)
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(36)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 205 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:09pm
I've been meaning to read this so I just ordered it. I'll let you know what I think. Not sure I can give one more thing up! lol
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:27pm
When you get ready to read Eat Fat, Lose Fat, you should look up Fat Head on Netflix. I just watched it the other day, and it interviews the author of that book, from what I'm remembering. Fascinating premise and some pretty shocking results from what would appear to be a straightforward experiment. He also interviews Sally Fallon.

I get caught up in the fad on diet stuff a lot of the time. I always come back to if it comes from nature, it's good for you. IE- butter over margarine, honey over processed sugar, whole grains over processed/enriched, meat in moderation, etc.
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:29pm
Oh, and what the guy on Fat Head presents about heart disease is pretty eye-opening, especially what scientists are revealing is the actual connection between cholesterol and heart disease, as well as the little discussed role played by carbs.

Edited by littlehands - 04 Apr 2012 at 12:30pm
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 3:07pm
Yeah, the Wheat Belly author is actually a cardiologist so he talks a LOT about the carb/heart disease connection, with wheat as the main culprit and how saturated fats/cholesterol are not the bad guys everyone thought they were. Sure makes a lot of sense when you look at eating trends over the past 100+ years alongside health trends such as obesity, heart disease, etc...
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(36)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 205 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:01pm
Ok, I finishing reading it. It was interesting.

I think it's pretty extreme. I agree totally with his point that americans eat waaaay too much wheat. Especially wheat in processed foods- and I include store bought breads and pastas in this category.

I understand how his extreme diet could really help someone with severe issues- diabetes, celiacs, gluten sensitivities (like how he talked about how it affects some people's joints and IBS), but I disagree that a moderate amount of whole wheat is so dangerous for those of us with a normal operating pancreas and not an intolerance. The problem is we tend to eat wheat for every meal and snack- I know I am guilty of this a lot.

It really made me think about cutting back on our wheat intake, especially for DH who has trouble with his triglycerides and his dad is type II diabetic. Once I started thinking about it I realize how much wheat we do eat, even though it's organic fresh ground wheat it's still a LOT.

His arguments about wheat causing the obesity epidemic sounded very familiar- just like what Michael Pollan said about corn and Sally Fallon has said about refined oils. I think the trouble is broader than that- the food industry has completely changed every aspect of the way we eat in the past 70 years- since after WWII. So many processed foods, and we eat out so much more often than we used to. Corn, wheat, soy and refined oils are in *everything* it seems. But also portion sizes are out of control and it's just too easy to eat all day long. Used to be we had to work a lot more for our food.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(160)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 10:37pm
I haven't read it, but Erin's comments reminded me of the book I just finished--"Why we get fat and what to do about it". Very informative read! He presents a lot of science, from more than the last 100 years, that counters all of the info we've been told for the past half century or so.

Basically links the obesity/diabetes epidemic to these false things (low fat/high carb diets are good for us, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, calories in-calories out determines our weight, etc.), and that insulin is the main reason behind most of our weight changes. I *highly* recommend it. But yeah, wheat is a big no-no.

I LOVE the way he presents the information and later presents options, not just strictly outlining a diet, but more to inform readers of why we should be looking at such lifestyle changes when it comes to food. 

Edited by taowensf - 08 Apr 2012 at 10:37pm
~Tess~
 Post Reply Post Reply