Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

detergent?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leah79 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote leah79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: detergent?
    Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:08pm
What detergent do you use to wash cotton flats/prefolds?  Do I need to buy a special detergent?  I have read in some places that good old fashioned Tide works best and others say that is the worst thing I could use.  It seems like the more I read the more confused I get.
Sponsored Links

mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:24pm
The thing with prefolds and flats is that they are quiet forgiving. If you used something and get build up, it is easily undone with a few extra rinses and a change of routine/detergent?

Do you have a front loader or a top? Do you have any water issues (hard, iron) anything like that?

Since I'm in Canada, I really hesitated at buying detergent online. I knew it might be the end of my cloth diaper experience if I had to pay for shipping and wait for it to show up at my door. So I found something local with no dyes, fragrance, enzymes and whiteners. Gave it a try and after 3 years and 2 kids later it is still working and I've had no skin troubles or build up.
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 12:36am
It seems like it depends more on your LOs skin. My DD can't have any fragrance but Tide free is fine. My favorite detergent is Charlies but as long as you aren't using fabric softener and your baby isn't reacting to it any detergent is fine!
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 109 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:56am
This is my favorite detergent listing
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
leah79 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote leah79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:33am
I have a small (portable) top loading washer and soft city water.  I know I have the option of stripping the dipes if need be, but it seem like a PITA and I'd rather avoid it if possible.  Also, how many diapers can you comfortably do in a single wash and get them good and clean?
lflips View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 25 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lflips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 11:26am
 I use homemade detergent. I've never had any problems with build up and it is a lot cheaper than store bought. When we do diaper laundry we generally wash about 2 dozen plus family cloth. With that said we wash twice because we aren't dealing with nb poop. 
Tamryn :

Mama to Eden and Ariadne
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 357 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 3:07pm
I use Country Save but even thought I use mostly natural fiber diapers I have a couple of pocket diapers in the mix sometimes.  I also have hard water.
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
leah79 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote leah79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:30am
So as long as I make sure that the diapers are completely rinsed out after each washing the detergent doesn't really matter?
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:21am
Yes. An extra rinse usually does it for us.

I usually wash between 10 and 15 diaper a load. Every other or every third day. I have enough diapers that we can go 4 days ( if we are really busy and it doesn't make it to the top of the priority list), but I usually split it into two loads.
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 23 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:08am
I wash approx 2 dozens diapers at a time and use Tide. I always do an extra rinse and when I use bleach I do a double rinse.
I think I've tried almost all detergents on my dipes, IMO the trick is the rinsing.
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
leah79 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote leah79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:23am
thanks so much - you all make it sound so easy and everything I read from other places makes it sound so overwhelming
kcanstef View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote kcanstef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:31am
i use mountain green free and clear and have well water it works great :)
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 74 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:35am
I use Tide and have well water and haven't had any problems. But my kids don't seem to be sensitive to anything so I also do fine just buying whatever detergent happens to be on sale.

And welcome to the Pin!
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:41am
There is good info in this pdf file about washing diapers. It should help you in making your decisions.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 35 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:47am

I use any free/clear detergent and have normal city water.  I have a mix of PF, Flats, pockets, AIO.

I also use a small dash of bleach

Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
shirleymoonie View Drop Down
P'interested
P'interested

Post Options Post Options   Quote shirleymoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 10:26am
I've just started out using my normal Planet Ark detergent. Never really put any thought into it. I hope it is okay.
zsoka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote zsoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:10pm
Hi all, 
I am also new to CD and I live in a part of Canada where our detergent selection is really limited. Tide, Sunlight, Purex and Method seem to be the most available and then some Seventh Generation and Arm and Hammer.   I cannot get the "CD Safe" detergents on the pinstripes and polkadot list without ordering them online.  It is rather frustrating!! 
I was looking into using Tide and I see from the comments above that it can work well.  About how much detergent would you use in a load of say 18-24 diapers? Our washer is a standard top loading machine.  Would you use the liquid or the powder?  I have a mix of PF's, AIO's, fitteds and pockets. 

Wonder why some diaper manufacturers say that Tide is ok and others say it is not.
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:26pm
When I use Tide I use up to the 1 line for around 2 dozen diapers. I think Tide got a bad reputation without mfgs doing much real research on it. As long as you're rinsing it out and not letting it build up in your diapers it's totally fine!
zsoka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote zsoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:35pm
Thanks for the quick reply.  I think I will use up the Rock N Green that we have from baby gifts and then give Tide a go.  By the time I get Rock N Green up here is costs me an arm and a leg!!
 Post Reply Post Reply