Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

maid question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 309 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 8:02pm
I have a nanny who does a little housekeeping for me while my DS is in preschool.  What works for us is probably different from hiring a maid but I'll tell you what's working for me. 
-Leave a concrete list, and mark the item(s) most important to you.  Separate "must do" from "do if you get time"
-If you don't want certain supplies used, put them out of sight. 
-If you have to address a concern, do it before it becomes a habit, and pick your battles.  The bathroom cleaning gloves would definitely be a battle I'd find worth picking!  But say it nicely.  Use an "it's not you, it's me" approach and start and end the conversation with praising the things she does well. 
My nanny knows that I am generally easy to please but have a few quirks, like my germ and cross contamination phobia.  I know a bit too much about bacteria.  LOL.  Make sure that your maid knows you are friendly and easy to work for.  Most housekeepers that I have known will not work if their client is home; I'm guessing it's because of the additional stress of having someone watch you and nit-pick your methods.  Don't be that boss.  LOL.  I know you wouldn't be. 
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
Sponsored Links

elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 268 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 1:55am
Originally posted by hleannie hleannie wrote:

Most housekeepers that I have known will not work if their client is home; I'm guessing it's because of the additional stress of having someone watch you and nit-pick your methods.  Don't be that boss.  LOL.  I know you wouldn't be. 

I don't know what I'd do if I was asked to leave my home in order to have it cleaned! I'm not really comfortable with someone being in my house when I'm not here, I don't allow the maintenance people to enter the house if I'm not home. I'm trying really hard not to stress about little things, like the stand mixer being slid up against the wall instead of put back where it was. The only time I said something somewhat negative was when she put her basket of cleaning stuff on my 130 year old piano bench. Not sure why she didn't just put it on the floor but oh well. 

I want to be happy with the job she's doing and not stress when she leaves about germs from one place getting all over other things but I also want her to be happy about working here. She's really friendly and I feel I have a lot in common with her. It's also wonderful to have another adult to talk to. She's the only adult I've had a face to face conversation with all week. 

I've been thinking about it and I've boiled it down to a few things:

-asking her to wear single use gloves when cleaning toilets and just-for-here gloves (all provided by me) while cleaning other things; I plan to use an "it's not you, it's my irrational germ issues" approach

-moving some of the cleaning supplies to locations where she isn't likely to look, especially paper towels since I expected that eight pack to last six months; this is maybe a little passive aggressive but the rest of the cleaning stuff, like laundry detergent and dish soap will still be in the same place so it won't seem too obvious

-writing out a list and presenting it to her after I've told her how much I appreciate her attention to detail and all her hard work, I'm going to say that I would normally be over the moon about having her full cleaning treatment on some of the rooms but with DH away I really need basic cleaning done everywhere first. I'm going to ask her to think about a rotation for deep cleaning because she so much better than I am at that kind of thing. I plan to give a general idea of priority for each item, maybe writing them in different colors, and come up with one project each week that we can complete together. I need the garage and several closets organized since there is a good chance we'll be moving to a larger house this summer. 
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 80 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:24am
I like your approach Liz! I think its very recpectful the way you plan on talking with her :)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:27am
I'd make her the list of what you want done and do it like Heather said, add a 'if you get time' part. But I'd present it as "I thought I'd make this list for you to make it easier. These are the things that I'd really like you to do - this way you don't bust your butt cleaning the bathrooms when I'm really not that worried about them this week.." *insert playful laugh*  lol And I totally think that the toilet gloves and 'rest of the house' gloves is in need. Ick.
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 309 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:09am
I think your approach sounds great Liz.  =)
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 82 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:24am
I agree with the others.  You approach sounds very good and repectful.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 2:29pm
We have a housecleaner (someone that we barter with, which works out nicely) that comes once a week and we have settled into a schedule that works well for us.  Once a month, she does a deep clean where she spends almost the whole day in our house.  That includes the bathrooms being clean enough to eat in, vacuuming/edging every inch, kitchen appliances scrubbed, fans/fixtures cleaned, couch vacuumed out (we have a pet hair issue), etc. The other weeks she does a couple of hours which gets the bathrooms and kitchen wiped down, general vacuum, sweep, etc.  So the important basic stuff is covered weekly and the rest is done monthly.  So maybe make a list of priorities to be done first when she gets there and then other stuff less often or pending time she has left?

My mom said she used to have a housecleaner who left the toilets spotless and everything else was subpar... it's like she just liked to clean toilets  No amount of talking to her about the other important priorities helped, unfortunately.

Oh and about the pick-up/leaving stuff in piles - I try to leave the house as well picked up as possible so she has space to clean.  Of course that doesn't always happen, and she does a good job of cleaning around things if she has to.  In your case I'd either just be okay with her moving your stuff around, or have a discussion with her that says you'd rather that she just leave those areas alone.

eta - I'm not usually home when she's here, but we're okay with that since she's been a customer for a while so she's not a total stranger.  The kids get too much in her way when we're here

She uses all her own stuff and her cleaning products are acceptable to me.  I'd go crazy if she used all our paper towels, esp. since we go through like a roll a month!  But I'd be weirded out by her using bathroom gloves (that she used in other people's houses) all over my house - I don't think it's a bad idea to have a pair for her to use at your house only).

Edited by mrscakes - 31 Mar 2012 at 2:33pm
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 3:04pm
i would say something about the supplies- if the deal is that she uses her own, then that is what she should do- aside from the homemade cheap solution you want her to use. 

i agree that she will get better with the time management, and if not you can say something then.

as for cleaning up "stuff"- that is not their job ever, unless you have worked it out. cleaning doesn't include picking up. we had a cleaning lady when I was a kid and my mom always made us clean our rooms first- if we didn't she would just not clean in there! it was annoying as a kid to clean so she oculd clean, but now I get it. she also never did laundry, dishes, etc. because that's not part of the usual deal unless you ask. i think $20/hour is actually fair,. i think my mom paid $15 and that was 20 years ago! she also probably doesnt think organizing a closet is part of her job either.. and I don't think it's fair to expect that kind of thing. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by erinchelsea erinchelsea wrote:

I'd pick a couple top pet peeves and tell her and let the rest go.

Having been a nanny so close to the same thing I can tell you- I didn't mind when I was asked to do a few things differently but the day I got a handwritten list FULL of nitpicky things I quit. Tongue Not saying your list is nitpicky at ALL, but hearing a long list of things you're doing wrong is hard to hear all at once!

this.. i was a nanny also and i would pick up toys, cook and do dishes, but my job was not to clean (vacuum, do laundry, etc) and I think it's unfair to as for more than the actual job. nitpicking can cause a tense relationship. i dont think your concerns are nitpicking- especially where the supplies and glves are concerned, but i wouldn't ask for the other things. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
threekstrio View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
10 years 64 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote threekstrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:01pm

OT-but I SUPER Wish that we could afford a maid!!! If you all don't mind me asking do all of you mamas pay $20/hour for your housekeeper?

mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by threekstrio threekstrio wrote:

OT-but I SUPER Wish that we could afford a maid!!! If you all don't mind me asking do all of you mamas pay $20/hour for your housekeeper?

I think $20 is pretty standard, at least around here.  We previously had a housecleaner who charged $20 and our current one does the same or $15 for friends.  But as I said before, the only reason we can afford one is we barter through our family business :)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 268 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:19pm
I keep thinking about the issue with the gloves. I'm so grossed out that we've been using sinks, tables, counters, etc. that were cleaned by someone wearing gloves that were used to clean my toilets and other people's toilets. Am I being irrational or should I wipe down everything with lysol wipes?
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 224 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:35pm

<FONT style=": #fffbef">OT-but I SUPER Wish that we could afford a maid!!! If you all don't mind me asking do all of you mamas pay $20/hour for your housekeeper?

My mom and I cleaned for $25/hr each.

Edited by Clare_S - 31 Mar 2012 at 4:35pm
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 268 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

<FONT style=": #fffbef">OT-but I SUPER Wish that we could afford a maid!!! If you all don't mind me asking do all of you mamas pay $20/hour for your housekeeper?

My mom and I cleaned for $25/hr each.

My mom cleaned houses when I was little. She told me she made $5/hour and had to bring all her own supplies plus a mop, bucket, and vacuum. She said it was always worth it except one house where the kids purposely made huge messes for her to clean up and the parents were ok with it Shocked
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:09pm
I'd probably be busting out the lysol wipes, Liz. lol I don't want you to have to go clean, but just the counters and fixtures real fast, kwim?

I think $20/hr is probably pretty standard. MIL cleans houses and businesses and she makes a crapton of money, tbh. lol BUT it's hard work, kwim?
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 268 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:23pm
I caved and wiped down all the faucets, counters, stove knobs, oven handle, counters, kitchen appliances, doorknobs, and kitchen table. I feel relief Thumbs Up
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:28pm
*whew*
mttav View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(55)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 197 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mttav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:26pm
Ugh, I'd be totally grossed out about the gloves, too. That's just sick. Dead 

I have to say, I'm pretty jealous of the $20/hr. I used to scrub the seriously nasty bathrooms at an RV park for $7/hr. Ermm
Mom to T (8), M (6), S (3), and X (tiny) and wife to my BFF.

Visit me on Etsy at FlyingGaggleFibers and EwenicornCovers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12