Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Books and Entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Children's Movies

Hunger Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunger Games
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 5:32pm
I read the books (well, the first two.. just got the third- holy long wait list at the library!) and was very excited for the movie and it was actually pretty good! i thought the characters were cast well for the most part and it followed the best it could. Dh didn't read the book but enjoyed the movie. Anyone else see it yet? 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Sponsored Links

bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:26pm
I'm dying to see it. lol I looooooved the books. I'm hoping to get DH to take me when we go back home for Easter and have someone to watch the boys.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 251 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:28pm
I loved the books too.  Not sure when I'll see the movie, since DH really isn't into that sort of thing.  I'm glad I read the books first, though.  I can imagine the movie to be great, but I think the book has so much about the character that the movie just won't be able to cover.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:50pm
Christine, I totally agree. I think that anyone who sees the movie w/out reading the books is missing a whole lot.
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:18pm
yes, i agree. but i have occasionally seen movies before reading the book and then really love both (I did that with The Help)
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 11:08pm
I am going to see this tonight with a friend.  She saw it last night with a group of our friends but I couldn't go since dh wasn't back from his work trip yet.  She loved it enough to go again.  The movie starts in an hour!  So excited . . .
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 260 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 11:11pm
I read all three of the books over the past two weeks and I'm sooooo excited to see the movie. I'm not a go-to-the-movies kind of person (I haven't been since 2003) so I'm going to wait until it comes out on dvd in a few months. 

Hey, look, the banner ad at the bottom of the screen is for hunger games!
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 12:22am
Let us know what you think NG!
LOL Liz... mine is for pishposh baby :P
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 12:28am
D has the books and I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but I need to get on it before the movie is on DVD.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:06am
I thought it was really good.  My favorite scene from the book was also my favorite in the movie so that is saying something!  I think the violence was toned down just because you don't see as much of it as you "see" when reading.  Which I think is appropriate for the different mediums.  I want to see it again now!  I loved how they were able to show rather than tell parts of the book on the screen.  Honestly there isn't much I would have changed.  I even liked all the actors which I think is rare for me.  That could change in the next movie but so far I really enjoyed all the casting choices.  Even Lenny Kravitz was great and he was the one I had the most trepidation about.
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 11:49am
NG what was your fav scene? I agree on the casting- the only one totally different from what I pictured was Haymitch.. I thought he was a bit older and chunky from the book? 
SouthEastMomma View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 358 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 4:00pm
i haven't been able to get the books from the library because the wait is sooooooo long!  i've been waiting for 'game of thrones' for months and months.  i really want to read the books before seeing the movie, so i will probably end up watching it on dvd.
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
Mom to Oscar (9), Archer (6), Odin & Hugo (2)
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 4:24pm
Lauren, what is Game of Thrones?  Off to google... lol

The only books in the series are: Hunger Games, Catching Fire & Mockingjay.

If anyone has a Nook and wants to read them, PM me. I have the 'lend me' versions. You can borrow mine :)
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm
I am trying to speak in non-spoilery terms so not as descriptive as I could be but . . .
My favorite most emotional scene was when she puts the flowers on Rue and then does the salute to the camera.  I really felt like it was a pivotal moment in the books and liked how it was done in the movie.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 251 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Nuttygirl Nuttygirl wrote:

I thought it was really good.  My favorite scene from the book was also my favorite in the movie so that is saying something!  I think the violence was toned down just because you don't see as much of it as you "see" when reading.  Which I think is appropriate for the different mediums.  I want to see it again now!  I loved how they were able to show rather than tell parts of the book on the screen.  Honestly there isn't much I would have changed.  I even liked all the actors which I think is rare for me.  That could change in the next movie but so far I really enjoyed all the casting choices.  Even Lenny Kravitz was great and he was the one I had the most trepidation about.

I just watched a trailer, and thought I saw him, but then thought I must have imagined it.  Interesting choice!  Cinna, right?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:37pm
Yup he is Cinna.  His whole look (the earrings, the makeup) really works well on him and for the character here.  I can't picture another Cinna now actually even though his role in this movie wasn't that big.
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:51pm
Lenny Kravitz as Cinna is an interesting choice... but now that I know that's who plays Cinna it makes sense. Seems like a pretty good choice actually.
Camille View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:06pm
So what would ya'll suggest? Read the book first or see the movie first?
Yes, I'm a Christian. No, it has nothing to do with me trying hard, but everything to do with God loving hard.-Lecrae (Christian rap star)
to,488px);}");
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:14pm
NG- yes, i agree, Loved it in the book and movie. 

Camille, I would say read it first if you can get your hands on the book easily. but I do think it would be fine to do the other way around too.

the book had so much emotion and thought from the main character that it's hard to get that across- and all of the political stuff in the book was a bit toned down in the movie. I know it's young adult or teen book, but i think the young readers can't full understand or appreciate it. 
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by bree bree wrote:

Lenny Kravitz as Cinna is an interesting choice... but now that I know that's who plays Cinna it makes sense. Seems like a pretty good choice actually.
He just seems so over the top as a person and I have never seen him act before.  Now that I have seen him in it I guess he can act!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>