Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

Making tutu's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making tutu's?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 1:02pm
Are tutu's simple to make?

A friend suggested to me that for DD's birthday the girls could make their own tutu's. She said that she went to a party for her DD and they made them but used strips of fabric, tulle, and ribbon and made them themselves. Her DD was turning 7.

My DD is turning 6. Her friends range from 4.5 to 5.5. Is it something that would need hands on help from the mom's or would it be something we can set up for them and they can enjoy making themselves. I don't expect them to be "perfect" but thought it would be fun to have something they could take home that they created themselves.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sponsored Links

taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(81)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 328 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 2:50pm
I made one for dd once, just with a length of elastic that I sewed the ends of together, then strips of tulle that I knotted around the elastic. Maybe some of the girls could do that themselves? 
~Tess~
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 2:53pm
Knotting the tulle around the elastic waistband is probably the easiest for youngish kids to do on their own.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos a href="https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkandBean" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Turk & Bean
k
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 3:12pm
I was thinking about just doing it around an elastic band. Maybe put the band on the back of a chair so that it is at a height and stable and then the girls could just tie things on that they like - ribbon, tulle, fabric... things like that.

Glad to hear it really is that simple I was thinking I was missing a step or something since it seemed like a simple idea.

Selah925 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(60)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 180 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Selah925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 4:03pm
I did the same ... just elastic sewn together with tulle tied around it.  The only thing is that the tulle is scratchy on such soft skin.  I want to make one with chiffon (I think) and maybe some tulle as the top layer.

Mommie to "A"(11/06), "I" (9/08), "E" (7/10), "O" (3/12), & twins (1/11/14)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 4:06pm
Awwww so cute

J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 254 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:00pm
awww how adorable! and what a cutie too Selah!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
KeepItSimple View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 256 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote KeepItSimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:43pm
My mother made a couple with the tulle tied around the elastic and honestly it was a pain for the girls to wear.  The ones that have a length of tulle stitched around the band hold up and wear better.  Cute either way though.
Jenny,wife to Adam since 1994
SAHMom to:
18. 17. 15. 13. 12. 10. 8. 7. 5. 3.& Eva Joy 6-11-13
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(18)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 11:29pm
Hummm maybe pre make the waist band in a casing and then the girls can attach to that. That would still be simple and easy

craftyguides View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote craftyguides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 5:54am
Hey! I just started teaching my daughter how to make a tutu and showed her the double knot technique and the slipknot technique, and I believe the slipknot technique is much easier to master. At least this was the case with my daughter.

I definitely think you need to precut all the strips and either sew the waistbands or use those centimeter wide stretchy headbands from the drugstore as the waistband. I started to write a long tutorial and thought it would be better to use pictures to illustrate. I have the written instructions on my website as well. Hope this helps! :)

tutuguide.com

-Mariana Patrick
www.tutuguide.com
 Post Reply Post Reply