Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

maca and spirulina- Jessica?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: maca and spirulina- Jessica?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 6:48pm
GreenJessica (is that right?) i saw you post something about taking those and having more energy and that is definitely something I am in need of right now! how do you take them, and why? do you also take coconut oil daily? and what about the oil pulling? 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 199 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 9:48pm
I am curious too! I had to look up about the oil pulling, never heard of that before.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 68 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:24pm
i'm interested too :)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:41pm

Maca and spirulina are available in capsules or powders.  I personally use powder because I can add it to smoothies/juice/shakes, etc.  Some people find the taste unpleasant (especially spirulina) so capsules are easy to swallow.   

I added maca and spirulina because I suffer from anxiety.  I have a pretty good idea of what triggers my anxiety and how to avoid it.  A couple of months ago I started having more difficulty controlling it on my own.  I went to my doc(who is military but knows I prefer non-medicated routes for problems).  He suggested a few diet/exercise changes to my normal routine. 

On his advice I started drinking green smoothies (instead of mainly fruit) and noticed an improvement of anxiety and energy levels.  I started reading about nutrition and stumbled on some raw food recipes.  After more reading I learned about maca and spirulina. 

Maca helps balance out your adrenal glands and improves sexual health.  Anxiety wreaks havoc on the adrenal gland and anxiety causes interest in hubby to drop (Sorry if that is tmi Embarrassed but these are the main reasons I started taking maca)

Spirulina is ~70% complete protein (all amino acids are balanced and available).  This is important for cellular regeneration.    

I don’t always take all three daily but I take at least one every day.  I usually add them to what I am eating for breakfast.  Generally, that is some sort of green smoothie (I change ingredients a lot for nutrient variety).    

I have noticed weight loss is easier, emotional level stabilized and much more energy.  I honestly believe it is a combination of the coconut oil, maca, spirulina and drinking green smoothies every day.  I know the days I didn’t drink smoothies my energy was lower.  I also tried days of drinking smoothies without the oil, maca or spirulina.  I still had more energy but I think the additions really help with my mood and keep my stamina up for the whole day.

Oil pulling is new to me as well.  I only learned about it a few weeks ago.  I have actually oil pulled only 4 times so my opinion is still out on that one. 

If you’re interested, I know of some great books.  Let me know it that doesn’t answer any questions!

Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 68 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:47pm
I'd love to hear about any books you can suggest :)

Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 213 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:18am
Thanks for sharing, Jessica. I knew a little about spirulina, but I had never heard of Maca. Very interesting! Where do you like to buy your spirulina and maca? I have bought spirulina from the Bulk Herb Store before but never went through with taking it consistently. Also, did you mnention how much of each you take?

Edited by Clare_S - 24 Mar 2012 at 9:18am
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

Thanks for sharing, Jessica. I knew a little about spirulina, but I had never heard of Maca. Very interesting! Where do you like to buy your spirulina and maca? I have bought spirulina from the Bulk Herb Store before but never went through with taking it consistently. Also, did you mnention how much of each you take?

I hadn't heard of maca before reading Ani's Raw Food Kitchen by Ani Phyo.  She has some great recipes that incorporate maca and spirulina.

Right now, I have only purchased from amazon but that is because I already make a big purchase of items I can't find locally every couple of months.  I am able to buy maca, spirulina and coconut oil but I am still researching other purchasing options.  I am sure there are much better prices but I like to keep my shipping to as few places as possible.

I have tried a couple of different brands and haven't really noticed a huge difference in taste.  Some people claim the Hawaiian spirulina has a less "earthy" taste than other varieties.  I have been drinking green smoothies so that may mask the taste. Wink

I vary how much I take a little bit based on what else I'm taking or eating that day.  Generally, I take a tablespoon of maca and  ~3-6 TBSP coconut oil(in addition to what I cook with).  I only really hit 6 TBSP if I am eating a lot of green smoothie that day(I'm aiming for a quart a day).  I tend to put 2 TBSP in a smoothie but I eat a TBSP before a meal too.  I vary the amount of spirulina daily too(at least a TBSP).  If I am going to be more active through exercise or daily activity I take up to 3 TBSP.  

Here is a recipe that uses maca and spirulina:
Blue-Green Power smoothie - Ani Phyo
2 TBSP hemp protien
1 TBSP maca
3 TBSP spirulina (or other blue-green algae)
2 TBSP flax seed
2 bananas
3 C water(I use coconut water for electrolytes)
Blend until smooth

This makes 4 servings but I tend to drink the whole thing throughout the day. 

These supplements are super easy to add to other foods!  My family did notice a difference in the taste of foods but didn't question why Tongue

Sidenote: I have been eating a whole food diet for nearly 2 years but I noticed a drastic change in energy levels by adding these supplements.  I have been eating about 60% raw in my meals during the last month and have seen more improvement. 
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by J2 J2 wrote:

I'd love to hear about any books you can suggest :)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner!  The books I recommend are more nutrition based but reading them lead me to maca and spirulina. 

Nutritional Healing - Balch and Balch
Physicians Desk Reference for Herbal Medicine

Not books but had information about "super foods"

Food Matters - documentary I watched on netflix
David Wolfe and Ani Phyo - Raw food enthusiasts
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 11:17am
thank you! i had heard of maca but never really looked into it. spirulina is more common i think and my friend used to add it to smoothies all the time, but we were young and I didn't care to ask why lol. are these powders expensive? for some reason i think maca was on sale at whole foods with some other "superfoods" but they were $16-20/bag. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by minneapolismama minneapolismama wrote:

thank you! i had heard of maca but never really looked into it. spirulina is more common i think and my friend used to add it to smoothies all the time, but we were young and I didn't care to ask why lol. are these powders expensive? for some reason i think maca was on sale at whole foods with some other "superfoods" but they were $16-20/bag. 

I honestly haven't done a lot of price hunting yet.  I purchased 2.2lb of maca for $25.  The spirulina I purchase is a bit pricey($50 for a little over 1lb).  There are cheaper brands but I used VitaMineral Green which has a lot more than spirulina in it.  Spirulina on its own is much cheaper on Amazon. 
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 12:28pm
I forgot to add The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier.  He mentions "super foods" including maca and different algae. 
JamieNoblit View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote JamieNoblit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 6:51pm
I just read that and it caught my eye!  Both maca root & spirulina are in a Beachbody shake that I use called Shakeology.  It's amazing how much natural energy it gives me!!  It also has algaes in it & a ton of probiotics as well among other things.  You can read about it at www.shakeology.com/jamienoblit (i am a beachbody coach) I don't know whether it's cheaper to buy the ingredients and make your own shake, or drink the Shakeology, but it's easier for me to drink the Shakeology!
Mom to Caelan 9-10-07 and Cullen 8-18-09
 Post Reply Post Reply