Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

new to wool.. please help???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whm721 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
2 years 163 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote whm721 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to wool.. please help???
    Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:51am
i've heard so many good things about wool but i also have sooo many questions... hope someone can help me out Tongue 

i've seen "wcw", "interlock", "knit", "upcycled", "recycled"... what are the difrerences between them?

the knit longies & shorties are so cute but do they usually come with a soaker sewed in? or just one layer? would they leak if it's only one layer?

also.. are "upcycled" & "recycled" wool items the same?

i feel itchy wearing wool sweater and was told i m allergic to the chemical in commercial wool, not the wool itself.. so if the longies/shorties are made from commercial wool sweaters.. would they cause allergies???

Sponsored Links

GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 12:25pm
WCW is a the brand Wild Coconut Wear.  http://hyenacart.com/stores/WildCoconutWear/ She also stocks on etsy.

Upcycled and recycled generally refer to wool soakers/shorties/longies, etc being made from sweaters or other wool items. 

interlock and knit refer to the fabric.  interlock is able to be machine washed on a hand washable cycle(though I haven't been brave enough to try it). I only have interlock so I don't know much about the performance of knit(but hear great things about it).
Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 239 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 4:05pm
Are you allergic to lanolin? Diaper covers need lanolin to help absorb the moisture. I don't think you will cause an allergy. A friend of mine said that the genetic link to allergies is quiet low (like less than a 10 percent increased chance). In your case, I might not go crazy and buy a whole of wool covers, but it might still be worth a try

Knit or crochet woolies are super cute and they don't leak, per say. With wool you get a damp feeling on the outside of the cover when it's past the time to change the diaper. They are only as good as the diaper you put under them. And you can't expect a cover with no elastic to contain poo. Again, that's the job of the diaper under the cover.
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:43pm
so even if the knit pattern has visible holes, it won't leak if you have a solid diaper on under, correct? 
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 239 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:40pm
Yes, holes are okay. Type of yarn is much more important. That determines the absorbency.
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 10 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:26pm
i never knew that about the holes. interesting :)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:34pm
thanks, christina. i guess i'll just do my best lanolizing, and we'll try 'em on and see how they work.
whm721 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
2 years 163 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote whm721 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 2:55pm
what type of yarn is the best? 
 Post Reply Post Reply