Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Compost/Composters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 196 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compost/Composters?
    Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 4:35pm
Anyone have a fancy composter? I want to get some compost of some sort started, but I know anything I have out in the open will get eaten by the chickens (they can devour some food scraps!). I've always cringed at the cost of a tumbler type composter, but I am starting to think it might be the way to go for us. I also wouldn't mind the faster production of it for our crummy clay soil - just got my garden started in a set area so I am ready to feed feed feed it, not only for this year, but years to come. We're using our state refund mostly for stuff around the house - mulch, gravel, new chicken coop (maybe?), etc. - a composter might be a good use of money. Is it a waste of money? Or completely worth it?

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
Sponsored Links

groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:48am
I just have a bin type of compost container and one I made w/ chicken wire and fense posts. It would do better if I stirred it often but I'm too lazy. I would love to have one of those tumbler types. You'll have to update how it works if you end up buying one. BTW how much does one of those run?
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:18am
I'd just spend the $$$ for one of those fancy ones on soil amendments now, and go for a slower method for your compost.

i've got the EarthBin becuse a local city agency sells it for $40 bucks here. I haven't had it long enough to say.
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 199 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:38am
DH just ordered one of the fancy tumbler ones. I wanted him to just build some sort of bin, but he said he'd rather spend the money and not use what very little free time he has to build one. It will be nice to have the compost quickly.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(29)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 172 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:09pm
I've heard the tumbler type com posters get really heavy and annoying to push around so I've stayed away from them.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 196 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 3:45pm
DH just sent me a pic of a ton of pallets at work asking how many I wanted - there are 4 newer looking ones in the middle I'm going to try using for a composter. I saw some where they have three solid walls, then the 4th is held in by metal t posts so you can move it out of the way to turn the pile or shovel it out. The slats allow got good air circulation. I guess I'm just impatient and the thought of good compost in a matter of days/weeks sounded so nice!

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(61)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 57 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 4:14pm
That sounds good! One of DH's customers just gave us a tumbler type composter, but we haven't started using it yet because we need to level out the spot where I want it first. DH said they used to have one and it wasn't that hard to turn as long as you did it every day or two. He said if you waited then it would kind of get compacted and it was a lot harder. 
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 4:34pm
And Renee, have you read anything like John Jeavons (bio intensive)? I'm reading "Mini-Farming"  (by another author) now, it's a good sythenthesis of the "best of" square-foot, Jeavons and other methods that involve close plantings. He had a nice section on composting. He goes for an open three pile system, starting a new one each spring from cover crops -- then letting the others age a bit more. And there's some issue of cold vs. hot methods (more added soil -- Jeavons-- is cold) but hot sounds better to me in terms of killing pathogens. But I'm not sure how you avoid racoons and such with open piles doing it his way, so i'm sticking with my more enclosed set-up for now.
We've got very clay-ey soil here too. I'm looking forward to "double digging"  (and amending) an 4" x 18" plot soon -- we'll see just how far I get. Digging just *one* 2.5" wide hole for the first of my four blueberry plants almost wrecked my body last weekend. (had to be a big hole so I could amend w/peat for the acid Ph).
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:38pm
have you ever heard of a worm bin?? a friend has one in his laundry room! it does not smell, the worms do the work, and you build up trays as the worms compost leftover veggie bits, coffee grounds, etc. they're getting ready to start a small garden soon ;)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 145 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:14am
I made a compost "bin" using scrap wool stacked to make a 4'x4' square. They can easily be taken down to stir the compost, but honestly I have just been dumping all winter. We started in November with pumpkins and all winter have been dumping. The kids (and I) are very curious to see what is happening down low in the pile. I guess I better turn it all soon.

I always though href="http://www.wagle.com/composters/compost-bins/soil-circle-compost-bin" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">this idea was pretty simple and neat too
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
 Post Reply Post Reply