Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Ergo & Newborn (need help ASAP!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 147 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ergo & Newborn (need help ASAP!)
    Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:03am
I am meeting my friend today, her baby is just over a week old and around 7#'s.

She has an Ergo she got and really wants to give it a try (with her previous babies she had a snuggly) and chasing twin almost 5-year-olds she needs hands free

I am not sure if she got the infant insert, can the Ergo work with out the infant insert on a NB?

I have a Beco, MT and wrap, but never tried an Ergo.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sponsored Links

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 147 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:17am
Looking at the you-tube videos it looks a lot like a buckle MT (the structure) so I imagine that even though it says you have to use the infant insert up to 15#'s there has to be a way around that right?
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 361 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:19am
I've never tried it, but I know I've heard of people just using a blanket. Maybe google it...
Julie-

Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 215 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:20am
My sister is borrowing my Ergo with her newborn, well she is already a month old now. She couldn't make the Ergo work withhout the insert, so I bought it for her and she LOVES it. I think she carries that baby around all the time in it now. At first I tried to show her how to use some recieving blankets to prop the baby up, but it didn't work well and made the hands-free more difficult. All that to say she is really happy with the insert.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:25am
Not to thread-jack, but Clare - how hot is it down your ways? I'm wondering if it'll be comfortable to wear baby in the ergo + infant insert in August/September's hot hot weather?

Sarah, I've heard people do it - but I'm not sure how. I think the insert would make it a lot easier.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 215 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:35am
Originally posted by bree bree wrote:

Not to thread-jack, but Clare - how hot is it down your ways? I'm wondering if it'll be comfortable to wear baby in the ergo + infant insert in August/September's hot hot weather?

Sarah, I've heard people do it - but I'm not sure how. I think the insert would make it a lot easier.

I wondered that, too. Looking at it and feeling it, I don't think the insert would be any hotter than a baby propped up with blankets, yk? I do think it would be really hot for both baby and mom outside in the middle of summer, though. I expect it would be fine inside with the AC cranked. Maybe someone else has personal experience. My sis did take the baby around in it outside at a St. Patty's festival and it hot out. I'll have to ask her if the baby got sweaty.

The insert is really nice. I was expecting a fuzzy cotton, but it is a nice smooth, light cotton if that makes sense. I don't really have any experience with carriers with newborns. I didn't get mine until Micah was 7 months or so.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:49am
I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep the ergo and get an insert or sell it and get a boba. The ergo was a bit too short on logan at 16mo so I'd like one to last for as long as I need it, kwim?
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:11am
I hated the ergo insert and had better luck with a blanket, but FWIW I never loved it for the NB stage and preferred my moby.  Maybe try looking up how to best fold a receiving blanket to use instead of the insert?
 Post Reply Post Reply