Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Sunscreen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunscreen
    Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:13pm
I feel like we go over this almost every year here, but I never have much luck with the search function and wondered if there's anything new out there... so what does everyone use for sunscreen (for yourself and LOs)? We will be outside a LOT this summer in the garden, with our horses, in our friends' pool and DD has SUPER fair skin just like me. Confused So we need something that will work well but I don't want anything with tons of chemicals. Bonus points if DD can apply it some herself! Wink
Sponsored Links

elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 268 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:42pm
We use badger balm sunscreen. I also have super fair skin that burns quickly. I only use sunscreens that use physical barriers (tiny particles) and do not contain chemicals. The badger balm is thick and takes a long time to rub in but it works well and is natural.
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:46pm
i also stick to the titanium or zinc based stuff. Was using Badger Balm last summer. Towards the end I was really loving my Neutrogeana Baby stick. The stick make it less of a big deal to apply -- but can get spendy. I got some Walgreens knock-off one to keep in my butt-pack (which I usually have instead of a purse or diaper bag).
There was some Blue? Lizard brand that some people liked that I've been curious about.
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:11pm
badger, california baby, or http://3rdrocksunblock.com/

my friend let us use some of hers in FL and I would buy it as well http://www.purpleprairie.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=40_41

the thing is, they are all pricey. badger is the cheapest and it goes on sale for $11 at whole foods and I got 3 bottles last summer when it did. we also got 4 bottles of the 3rd rock when it first came out as a special, so we are set for at least a good portion of this summer! 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 258 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by ambrose ambrose wrote:

i also stick to the titanium or zinc based stuff. Was using Badger Balm last summer. Towards the end I was really loving my Neutrogeana Baby stick. The stick make it less of a big deal to apply -- but can get spendy. I got some Walgreens knock-off one to keep in my butt-pack (which I usually have instead of a purse or diaper bag).
There was some Blue? Lizard brand that some people liked that I've been curious about.

I will admit that I'm a little scared of Neutrogena sunscreen.  DH & I had a really bad experience a couple summers ago using spray-on Neutrogena sunblock and we both burned REALLY badly.  DH's was so bad he ended up going to the doc after we realized it was 2nd degree burns and it was getting infected.  The doc told him that most likely we are both allergic to something in it.  Weird.
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 156 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:20pm
We use badger. We are all fair hair and skin and outside a lot and it works great!

We also wear sun hats all.the.time and swim shirts with swim shorts while in the pool to help in the water.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:28pm
Yeah, we wear hats all the time too and she has one rash guard/shorts combo, I need to get her another one. I have the Neutrogena stick too and she loves that since she can mostly do it herself.

Is the badger balm good for the water too? Or how quickly will it wash off/need to be reapplied? I need to just set myself a timer or something when we're outside to remind us to put more on.
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 175 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 8:30pm
We use Blue Lizard Sport here.  Didn't get perfect ranks on the safe cosmetics scale, but it was only like 1 iffy ingredient and not "known carcinogen"-type stuff.  I think.  We use it because it's locally available and reasonably priced!
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (5.5), Penelope (4),and Rosalie (1.5)k
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 78 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:22pm
i'm trying to figure this out too. i really liked my b adger but it takes way too long to rub in for the d/c to use it. tyring to figure out a happy medium.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(160)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 154 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:47pm
We LOVE TruKid and they usually get great scores on skindeep.org. They are a little pricey too, but you can get multiples for a discount usually, and we always get both the stick and the lotion. Thumbs Up
~Tess~
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 76 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:24am
Well, how bad is coppertone kids? cause that's what I bought today out of necessity.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:27am

Jess- it depends which you got. the pure and simple looks pretty good and the others look pretty bad. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php?query=coppertone+kids&h=Go it makes me crazy that one brand can have such huge variations.

Oh yeah, we had trukid once and I loved it! it rubbed in really nice and wasn't sticky at all. it's rated a 1 Thumbs Up
the purple praire botanicals i linked is also a 1
badger is a 1, but the sunblock with bug repellent is a 3
california baby is 1-2 depending on the type
blue lizard is 4-5
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:14am
We've used CA Baby, Tru-kid, Badger and Caribbean Solutions.  
yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:20am
oh, coppertone water babies in a 2.  that's good enough for me, for locally available and fairly cheap.  ;)
Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:22am
okay, and the coppertone waterbabies STICK is a 7.  geez.  this is ridiculous.
Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
rebekahc View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rebekahc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:10pm
Here is an alternative ratings list that I found helpful last year.  I just looked it up in one of the threads from last June--anricat/summer had posted it.

Rebekah ~ mother to Naomi Ray (8/30/07) and Leah Kay (09/09/09), married to Paul.

www.thecarswellfamily.blogspot.com
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 222 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:12am
DS has nature's Gate kids for his body. I do like a stick for his face, so I am using the Water Babies one until it runs out or expires. I also keep him in a rash guard when swimming. He will sometimes wear a hat, sometimes not.

DH and I are not as good about it. We use it when swimming, either Nature's Gate or whatever family brings. I do try to put it on my face in the morning, Aveeno.

ETA: you didn't ask about it, but we use All Terrain Kids bug spray for DS. I also keep OFF active around for The times we all need something a little more potent.

Our ped actually recommends Badger or Blue Lizard sunscreen, but I've never tried either.

Edited by HC in KC - 22 Mar 2012 at 10:15am
Holly
love my DH (est. 5/06), sweet ODS (12/08), and itty YDS (7/14)
SouthEastMomma View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 0 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:34am
i would like to try badger this year.  we've used the coppertone pure & simple in the past.  my main requirement after being safe is that it not run into my eyes.  we use a ton of sunscreen, we are in the pool or at the beach every day.  i usually run (not now, being pregnant and all) at least 3x a week.  ds plays teeball and we are all sitting in the sun watching him.  we all wear hats, the kids have spf 50 rash guard suits/shirts...

i will have to buy a bunch extra for the grandparents because the kids usually spend saturdays with my parents and they buy the cheapest spray on sunscreen they can find.  

i had some neutrogena last year that actually damaged the plastic of my tervis tumbler and took the writing of the buttons on my running watch Shocked
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
Mom to Oscar (9), Archer (6), Odin & Hugo (2)
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 39 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:03pm
We use Coppertone Pure & Simple.  I know its not the best rating but its one I can live with.  We can buy it locally and its not as expensive as others.  We go through a ton of sunscreen plus I end up using it on daycare kiddos when they run out of their own.  
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
 Post Reply Post Reply