Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: ambrose
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

In Need of Some Sling Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
3 years 59 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Need of Some Sling Advice
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:44pm
A friend of mine gave me some rings (from slingrings.com) to make a ring sling awhile ago.  Well I've been taking my dear sweet time and haven't even started on it yet.  Now however I have some seriously painful motivation to get it done.  Shortening a really pathetic story, I get arthritis really bad at times in both of my wrists.  The left one has been excruciating lately, to the point where picking up a gallon of milk is nearly impossible.  So whenever I end up someplace where I can't set my 18lb. son down and there are no carts, I end up holding him the entire time and it becomes very, very painful very quickly.  I would like to make a ring sling so I can take the weight off my wrists.  I'm thinking that's the easiest, fastest carrier to put on and take off, so it would be easy to use when I'm just running into a store for a few minutes or something similar.

I've seen about a million tutorials on the internet, and it's kind of overwhelming.  Has anyone made their own sling?  What tutorial did you use?  Are you happy with it?  What would you change or do differently if you could?
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
Sponsored Links

northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 343 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:50pm
I haven't made one myself, but I know lots of mamas really like the ones from Sleeping Baby Productions.  She does something with the shoulder that makes it more comfortable than any other, from what I've heard.  And she offers  a make-your-own tutorial!

I haven't made my own, other than doll slings for my girls, but I have a Maya Wrap ring sling and I love it, it is so convenient.  I hope you can make something that helps you out!
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (5.5), Penelope (4),and Rosalie (1.5)k
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:27am
I also haven't done it myself, but was going to point you toward SBP.  Lots of good info on her site.  Let us know how it turns out :)
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 7 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:39am
I made one using one of the tutorials on that site... it's been a few years, but I got a lot of use out of it! It saved my arms, and my sanity, when I took super fussy DS to the store! I did one where the top part was pleated so it spread out over my shoulder to help distribute the weight. It was a beast to sew on my junky machine, but it was worth it (just not the prettiest). They also have no sew versions.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!k
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
3 years 59 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:37am
I guess I should have mentioned that I've got at the very least some basic sewing skills, and a really good machine, so I'm game for sewing.
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 61 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:50am
Originally posted by northwind northwind wrote:

I haven't made one myself, but I know lots of mamas really like the ones from Sleeping Baby Productions.  She does something with the shoulder that makes it more comfortable than any other, from what I've heard.  And she offers  a make-your-own tutorial!

I used the tutorial and made a sling.  Sadly, I got rings that were too small for the fabric.  It was tough to adjust but still super comfy to wear!  I thought her directions were quite good and easy to follow.  Her prices are reasonable though, so unless I needed the fabric, I'd just buy one of hers.  I had her make my Solarveil one and it was wonderful to use.

Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 343 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 2:08pm
OMG I just realized she (Jan Andrea, SBP) lives like 5 hours from me!!!!!!!
Katie
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
3 years 59 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:06pm
I've been looking at the tutorial a lot, and I'm pretty confident that I can handle that.  From what her measurements say, I have a set of the large rings, and I think I want to go with linen or a linen/cotton or linen/rayon blend.  I've been looking at fabric online and I really like this one:

I don't seem to be able to find a lot of different prints, so it looks like I'm going to be somewhat limited on choices. But I think I really want to go with linen, being that this is Indiana, and we have hot, humid summers.
~Elizabeth

P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
3 years 59 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:10pm
Ooo, I also like this one:

I also like this one:

but I'm thinking that it may be too much for my red hair and pasty white skin.  And I think it's kinda feminine, and I'm not quite sure how I would feel about putting my son in it, kwim?
~Elizabeth

northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 343 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm
Can't wait to see what you come up with!! 

I'd love an excuse to make a sling out of pretty fabrics like those.... but I have a Maya Wrap and no money, so therefore no excuse. LOL
Katie
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
3 years 59 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:19pm
Well I got my fabric today.  I ended up getting the first one that I posted.  Well, and another print.  Big smile  I was standing in Joann's looking at it and thinking, I really don't like it.  Then I realized it was on the bolt wrong side out, and that I really like it when I was looking at it properly.  The problem though, was that I realized it was too thin to use as a single layer sling.  I looked at the solid colored linen which was a heavier weight, but I didn't really like any of the colors.  So I perused a little more and found the exact same print but in green and white instead. Yay!  So I ended up spending twice what I was planning on, but I think I'm really going to like it when I get it done.  I really considered just cheaping out and getting a solid color, but I only want to do this once, and it would have driven me batty if I wasn't in love with the color.  And then I don't have to worry about the wrong side looking ugly.  Cause it would have drove me batty and I would have been the only one to notice.

On a side note, why is some fabric on a bolt right side out, and some wrong side out?Confused
~Elizabeth

northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 343 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:25am
Yay!  Hope you love it.  I agree, get something nice!  The only reason I dont' like my Maya ring sling is because it is a beige, natural brown.  I wish it was pretty. 
Katie
 Post Reply Post Reply