Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

quick - need a good deodorizer!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Perennial Pinner
6 years 195 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quick - need a good deodorizer!
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:13pm
we're showing our house this week and our realtor says that our room smells like diapers (we keep the change table and diaper pail in our room).  how can i get rid of the smell?  and keep it away for a week or so?  i don't think the smell is too bad; well, actually i don't smell anything, but i guess i'm just used to it.  the diaper themselves aren't too bad when they're clean, but the diaper pail gets super stinky really fast. 

dh wanted to try febreeze, but i said that wouldn't help at all.

i was planning to wash every two days this week, but i'm wondering if i'll have ot wash every day, just to help with the smell.
Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
Sponsored Links

Mom2Miles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom2Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:26pm
When I struggled with a stinky pail, I rinsed each diaper before pailing it.  I did that for a while to cut down on pail odor and it really helped.  I would also wash daily if I was you, or if that's not possible throw them in for just a cold rinse each night before bed then back in the pail and wash them completely the next night.  
Laurie, SAHM to Miles (7) and Leah (4)

There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 19 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:28pm
I'd wash every day. I did when we were showing our house. Do you have carpet in that room? Sometimes the smell seeps into the carpet so you might consider having it cleaned & washing curtains.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Perennial Pinner
6 years 195 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:23pm
no carpet or curtains.

good idea about rinsing each diaper.  i'll do that, and at least a pre-wash every night.  still not so sure about washing every night.  we'll see.  i might do a pre-wash and just leave them in the washer until the next night.  not sure if that would make for more stinkies in the long run, though!

gonna do a really good wash with bleach tomorrow night (official showing starts on wednesday) and also clean out the diaper pail really good.  tonight i'm washing up all the diaper covers - we use wonderwraps which do tend to hold the odor.  i might try to dig out some old covers to use instead.  oh, and maybe try to find an alternative for a wetbag, since ours is quite old and probably holds some smell as well. 

and lots of baking soda.  sprinkle it in the pail occasionally.  i figure it can't hurt. 
Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 19 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:59pm

Good call on the wetbag. I know my old ones have an odor even when clean.

Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 250 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:23am
no real advice here but GL with the showings!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
 Post Reply Post Reply