Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

melamine or metal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 220 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: melamine or metal?
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 5:33pm
I'm trying to phase out our take n' toss stuff.  It's in a kid-accessible drawer, and we use it for serving fruit & other snacks.  Occasionally it makes it's way into a lunch box or into the fridge.  It's never used for heat & serve. 

I've already invested in some glass, but I'd like something sturdier that will survive a drop onto our floor (tempered glass & Corelle break).  Plus, something that I won't get skeeved about putting in the dishwasher.  Also, it has to be something I'm OK w/ finding outside and putting back into the food-serving rotation.  I had my heart set on stainless, but have been having a tough time getting generic stuff that's cheap.  Everything seems like double-walled fancy, or way too large for a single child-size serving.  I know I can pay for the Lunch-bots, but I want to buy enough for maybe 2 for each child, w/o feeling really upset when something gets misplaced.  Maybe it's time to look into melamine?  Maybe I should stop thinking about this w/ a take n' toss mentality and shell out more cash?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Sponsored Links

ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 5:55pm
Hooray for phasing out the Take n' Toss. That will be a major milestone for use when it is all Tossed. (or really, managled, then recycled)

I'll be curious to see what way you go. I would think a big downside to stainless is you can't nuke it.

I think melamine got some PR-guilt-by-association after the whole China-formula thing a few years back. But I imagine having dishware made of it is a world of difference than having your sustenance made out of it!

One idea if you want metal -- look at camping gear Smile
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(162)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 113 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:35pm
I remember something about melamine having...was it formaldehyde? something weird in it, so we got rid of all of ours back when we did the Great Plastic Purge.

Do you have a World Market near you? They often have great stainless items, as well as that pebbled-looking camping-type stuff. Maybe bamboo options as well. There may be some new bamboo options in Frontier, but I'm not sure--I know they've got plates and utensils, haven't looked into the stuff w/lids. Just a thought.
~Tess~
northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:13am
Do they have to have lids?

We have an assortment of stainless dishes for the kids, none of which are actual kid dishes by design:

Small (3.5in wide by 1.5 deep) bowls of the style used by restaurants for "mise en place" cooking in the kitchen.  I found mine at the dollar store, but I'm sure they could also be found at a restaurant supply store.  Great for snacks or servings of yogurt.

Several camping plates, bowls and mugs from the local camping co-op.

A pair of double walled ice cream dishes that I found on clearance at a local hardware store.

These stainless espresso cups from IKEA.  The saucer doubles as a small plate.

And lastly (and I'm not proud, but hey, it works) pet dishes from IKEA.  The small ones are just the right size.

They all get a ton of use.  I also let the kids bang them around in the play kitchen.

I also have some melamine (vintage melmac).  I'm thinking of getting rid of it bc we don't use it much.  But it reminds me of summers at camp, so I just can't seem to let it go.......

sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 113 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:35am
I am laughing because we have pet dishes (for the kids) from ikea, too! And those little espresso cups, too.  They're small but great for littles, and the inevitable cleanup is easy because there isn't a whole lot in them. 

Also, the kids and i often use small wooden cutting boards for snacks, lunches, breakfast.  the kind with a rim/little channel around the edge works really well. 
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 62 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 2:17am
I found great stainless plates at the dollar store that we use for camping.  
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:59am
I would have never thought to look at the dollar store for SS dishes! Fun! I don't go it unless I am looking for something specific since ours is so packed with stuff it's overwhelming to me.

What about the Kidishes (sp?) stuff? Not sure the price range you are looking for or if it even fits the bill, but I've found it intriguing and want to try some.

I don't know if you are looking for utensils at all, but Ikea has some different sizes - some as small as 4" for very reasonable prices.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 220 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:06am
Ooh, I'm totally OK w/ pet dishes LOL.  The small dog size would be perfect, actually!  We are outgrowing the smallest size from the restaurant supply (3.5x1.5), but I bet med. dog could work.  Aah, my inlaws already think I'm crazy, why stop at FC?

I'll have to check out the dollar store.  Don't think I saw anything there, but it's been a while.

I'll have to see about getting IKEA shipped, since there aren't any even remotely near here.

Camping supply is a great idea, too.  I always only used my aluminum mess kit, but I think I remember seeing stainless in the catalogues. 

Shopping...
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 113 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:33pm
The smaller no-spill dog bowls work great for kids learning to eat soup.  And for watercolor painting water.  And egg-dyeing.  :D 

Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 80 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 1:24pm
Dog bowls sound like a fantastic idea!  We have been looking for something similar and never would have thought of that.  Thanks for the tip!
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 329 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by sunnymom sunnymom wrote:

The smaller no-spill dog bowls work great for kids learning to eat soup.  And for watercolor painting water.  And egg-dyeing.  :D 

The thought of this totally cracks me up! But at the same time, I gotta admit is pretty smart! I think I'll have to pick some up too.
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 39 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:18am
i have to say that i totally never expected to read about dog b owls being a good tool for learning how to eat soup.

but i'm sold. and will check out ikea's pet section!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:21am
I've looked at the dollar store stuff too but is it really stainless steel? I'm inclined to think that it is aliminum. Thoughts? If I was sure it was stainless steel then I'd definitely buy some.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
 Post Reply Post Reply