Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Fermented Cod Liver Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fermented Cod Liver Oil
    Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:41pm
Anyone take this? Do you think it's worth the $$. 
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(34)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 235 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 9:43pm
DH, DS and I take it. The jury's still out on whether or not it's worth it...I'll keep taking it for now. DH's cholesterol didn't go down as much as I'd hoped while taking it. I do think it helped me with my seasonal depression this winter. DS was extremely healthy this winter, one day of a fever and that's all he's had all winter! Not sure if it's the CLO or the vitamins he's had or just good luck or what.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 249 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:33am
We all take it here, too. Actually, we split our daily dose up between fermented skate oil and cod liver oil. The kids get about 1 tsp/day and DH and I take a bit more than that. I do think it is worth the $. I buy them in bulk to get a discount on each bottle, though. And, Green Pastures will offer sales a few times a year and I will stock up then, too.

Kitchen Stewardship had a great article on FCLO.

The Healthy Home Economist also has several good articles about it.

Another snippet from the Healthy Home Economist.

It is also highly reccomnded that FCLO be taken with butter oil, which Green Pastures sells. But, you can easily (and more cheaply) make your own with store-bought organic butter. It won't be as good as grass-fed butter oil, but we can't afford Green Pasture's brand. Or, you can just buy good quality Ghee.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(34)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 235 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

We all take it here, too. Actually, we split our daily dose up between fermented skate oil and cod liver oil. The kids get about 1 tsp/day and DH and I take a bit more than that. I do think it is worth the $. I buy them in bulk to get a discount on each bottle, though. And, Green Pastures will offer sales a few times a year and I will stock up then, too.

Kitchen Stewardship had a great article on FCLO.

The Healthy Home Economist also has several good articles about it.

Another snippet from the Healthy Home Economist.

It is also highly reccomnded that FCLO be taken with butter oil, which Green Pastures sells. But, you can easily (and more cheaply) make your own with store-bought organic butter. It won't be as good as grass-fed butter oil, but we can't afford Green Pasture's brand. Or, you can just buy good quality Ghee.
do you think it's as effective if you are eating a fair amount of grass-fed butter? I try to buy the grass fed butter at least to use on our toast in the morning- it's expensive so I can't use it on anything but that, but I'm hoping it works as well as the FCLO+butter oil combo.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 249 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:37am
Yeah, if you eat anough butter you don't need the butter oil.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:02pm
Thanks for your input ladies. I'll check those links out Clare :)
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:41pm
So what is the difference between fermented and regular cod liver oil?
 Post Reply Post Reply