Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Got my wrap today! Pics of first back carry...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my wrap today! Pics of first back carry...
    Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 5:17pm
I got my wrap today! Yay! I bought a Natibaby Violet Stripes off of FSOT on TBW. It's already well worn and broken in so it's soft and cozy (DS snatched it for a blanket first thing even though it's 80* here! Tongue). My main reason for getting it was for back carries since I'm having a harder time with my Ergo (not sure if it's b/c I'm a little smaller and YDD is a little bigger?). It's started rubbing under my arms and pulling on my shoulders. Anyway, I tried one with a chest belt first. Not too shabby for my first try! I did put both ODD and DS on my back when I first opened it, but I was pretty much making it up... I watched a video with YDD. The best part is that I was able to do it even though she wasn't 100% cooperative - she was arching her back and straightening her legs. It's a bit loose - I don't know the process for the carry enough to know what to pull where to tighten it. My lower back was a bit achy, but I don't know if it's b/c of how I had her wrapped, or b/c I was holding myself a bit differently b/c I was afraid she was going to somehow fall (gotta get used to it!). Next time I'm going to bring a mirror out and use it with DH's help to see if I can get it tighter. Next carry I want to try is one where it wraps over your chest (DH??) for even more weight distribution. I'm looking for some constructive criticism - I do know that it's a bit bunchy and loose, I figure I'll get that figured out eventually, right? It looks secure though, right? Oh, and I didn't tie the end, just twisted it a bit since I knew I was going to undo it after I took a couple pics. The chest belt (is that what it's called) felt a bit high... should it be lower?

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
Sponsored Links

P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 5:21pm
If this needs to be in the Baby Gear section, feel free to move it! I couldn't decide (as usual) Tongue

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 113 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 5:30pm
I got all excited when I saw this thread pop up.  That wrap is so pretty.  Great job with wrapping, too! And tackling a back wrap first, woohooo! :D

Yup, you'll get the hang of where to pull, etc. with practice.  It helps me to remember to wrap "10 minutes too tight", as in, wrap tightly enough that it feels too tight for about ten minutes, but then relaxes just the right amount to be comfy and supportive.  
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by sunnymom sunnymom wrote:

I got all excited when I saw this thread pop up.  That wrap is so pretty.  Great job with wrapping, too! And tackling a back wrap first, woohooo! :D

Yup, you'll get the hang of where to pull, etc. with practice.  It helps me to remember to wrap "10 minutes too tight", as in, wrap tightly enough that it feels too tight for about ten minutes, but then relaxes just the right amount to be comfy and supportive.  

I like the colors - I couldn't quite tell from the pic if I would or not. Obviously the ones I took are a bit yellow - I think the lightbulbs mess things up. It was my #1 choice, but I met my goal of finding a good compromise of cost, color, and support. It only took a few days of stalking FSOT EmbarrassedLOL.

I figured if I could get a back wrap I would be good to go. The "10 min too tight" is a great rule of thumb - I'll have to remember that.

If anyone has any videos of their favorite carries, please post so I can practice! I'm just kind of randomly clicking on ones on youtube and meandering around TBW site. I did ask for some suggestions there and got a few, but still haven't taken the time to figure out the acronyms Tongue.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 183 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 5:41pm
Great job, Renee! What a beautiful wrap.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 113 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 6:03pm
This is one of my favorites.  :)

Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 6:21pm
My two faves are:

*Double Hammock -- but I modify it and often add a chestbelt -- e.g. just the two ends going over my shoulders around each other and back around, to avoid "diggy" shouldesr. ("DH" = double hammock over on TBW)

* Double Rebozo Side-to-Side "DRS2S"

basically i use double hammock in cool weatherand DRS2S in warm.

if you search them on TBW you should be able to find tutorials.

Otherwise that looks pretty good for a first back wrap! And pretty!
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 115 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 7:29pm
I like the DH the way it wraps flat across my chest and shoulders has been really comfortable. I also notice the higher i gethim the more comfortable too
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 115 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 7:31pm
I am going to h to check the drsts there are so many versions it is hard sorting them. Hope has posted a lot of videos on TBW that are really good

northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 134 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 8:03pm
Thumbs UpBugout

I want. Big smile  That looks so pretty and soft!! 
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (5.5), Penelope (4),and Rosalie (1.5)k
kingapat View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 173 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 8:05pm
Looks great!!! Now I need one!!!LOL
DD 8/96 DS 10/04

DS 9/08 DS 3/10 DD 9/11 DS 3/14
horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 8:30pm
That wrap is so pretty!! I think the higher you can get her on your back, the more comfortable it will be. Have fun!
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 115 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 10:33am
I just found the Double Rebozo Side-to-Side "DRS2S" - I really like the look of that one. See if I can figure it out now

All of Faith's videos have been super helpful to me. The one about getting a good seat was really good too especially with a bigger kido, trying to make sure the seat is solid was tough for me at first

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 115 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 10:38am
DRS2S video I think I will have to give it a try when the boy is in a happy mood

P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:41pm
I did one this morning, not sure what it would be called, where the wrap came over both shoulders, then back under, spread around DD, under each foot, then I made a chest belt with the rest of it to distribute the weight a bit. It was surprisingly comfortable! I didn't know how it would be without something around my waist for her to "sit" on essentially, but it worked pretty well! I have done a FWCC a couple of times (which is what I did with my gauze wrap) and it is NICE! So much better than my Ergo - I never thought I would say that! We went to two stores today and I just left it half wrapped in between to save time and that worked well. It also helps drop her down a little more so her head is more at chin level rather than nose - I can see a lot better LOL

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

I just found the Double Rebozo Side-to-Side "DRS2S" - I really like the look of that one. See if I can figure it out now

All of Faith's videos have been super helpful to me. The one about getting a good seat was really good too especially with a bigger kido, trying to make sure the seat is solid was tough for me at first

I have been watching a few of hers... very well made and easy to understand!

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SouthEastMomma View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 324 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 10:17am
i was never able to do a back carry successfully :(  
i am pretty determined this time around to carry one in front and one in back, thanks for all the videos!
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
Mom to Oscar (8), Archer (6), Odin & Hugo (2)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 11:06am
Awesome, Renee!  It's beautiful and that looks like a great first try!  I'll try to find a link for it, but the first back carry that clicked for me was Jordan's Back Carry.  I now mostly go for double hammock, but it took some time to really get the tightening process - rail by rail is what works best for me.  I tighten the top rail until it's snug and then work my way down the wrap until the part under my chest is tight as well.  With DH, I also find it helps to make sure you stand all the way up and then tighten again - if you're leaning over wrapping then you might find it looser in places once you're upright.  I started out using a chestbelt with most back carries, but I find them very hard to get comfortable (often too high and digging into my collarbone or giving me kind of a choking feeling ) so I rarely use one now.  There's also a thread over on TBW about different types of chestbelts... I'll see if I can find that one too.

Oh and ITA with the "10 mins too tight" - it's like pinning a PF :)  If you don't tighten to the point where it seems too tight to begin with, it'll be sagging in 10 mins.
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 39 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:47pm
wow, i am super impressed! i loved my wrap but i didn't get beyond the very early baby stage with it so never even attempted the back ones.

WTG!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
 Post Reply Post Reply