Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Which cotton fitted?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
newbeetwins View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote newbeetwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which cotton fitted?
    Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 5:02pm
Hello! I have now been cloth diapering my twin boys for 4 months and we love it! We started out with infant prefolds but now we are using small GMD flats - mainly pad folded in a variety of PUL covers. We have also tried some wool - did lots of origami folded flats under wool longies. But now our flats are too small to do anything but trifold. That is - I can't find a fold with any absorbency to pin/snappi that you can adjust to make bigger (only fold down more to make smaller). We will likely eventually get some large flats, but... now I think we may also want to get a few fitteds for some easy options under wool. I like the idea of all cotton fitteds (we have well water). I have a GMD red workhorse that I like, it overall fits the boys now (NO growing room- wouldn't fit if it were any smaller) BUT, the inner doubler/flap doesn't reach around to cover their most important parts (!) in front! They are big for 4mo, 16+ lb, and tallish - have outgrown all the covers in the rise well before the wt. range listed. SO, all this to say, should I get the brown workhorses, or is there another cotton fitted that every likes (with a generous size range, good absorbency, soft fit)....
Thanks for your advice!!

Sponsored Links

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 64 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 7:08pm
I really like Mother Ease products - ME One Size and ME Sandy's. They are fuller cut, but work great, never leaks and they hold up really well!! I have some large Sandy's that I used for ODS, my sister used for her DD, and I am using for YDS now.

The Sandy's are a fuller cut side snapping. Super comfortable looking and great for under fleece and wool and even coverless.

MEOS I never thought I would like, the fit was "wonky" but once I got used to it I really like them. They wash up super easy and dry faster than Sandy's but are not as absorbent as the Sandy's.

That being said I really like large flats with a small flat pad folded as a doubler. I even use small flats pad folded in Sandys and MEOS.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 131 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 7:38pm
Ditto Sarah on Sandy's. I love the fit, nice and roomy for boys and very gentle on the thighs. Brown workhorses would be another good purchase. They may be a little big now, but many mamas can use them up until their LO's potty train. My other favorite cotton fitteds are from Wallypop. I am also a big fan of L GMD flats and Swaddlebees flats.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 7:51pm
Sandys, for sure.  If they are heavy wetters, you'll want doublers (of any brand).  For reg. wetters, they are fine by themselves.  Great under wool.  Excellent containment.  Distribute the wetness to the front instead of holding it right against the skin.  Perfect for letting the boys' parts breathe.  I've used them on all 3 of my guys.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote newbeetwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:45pm
So for a 16lb, tall baby (babies) - would you get a Sandy's large? Thanks!
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 64 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 9:19am
I would go with large. They will be a bit big, but will fit longer. Then again if "bulk" bothers you than go with smalls.

More than likely I would get a small and large from FSOT and see which I like better

I don't mind things a bit big so YDS wore larges around 16-17#'s the smalls fit but he was chubby (with big legs and tummy) so the smalls were getting small on his legs. He has really trimmed down since he started walking but the larges still fit great at 25#'s.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Camille View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:51am
My 22 lb daughter can still wear a small Sandy's. We're on the last snap settings. So I would say that a Large may be too big for a 16 pounder. And when they get active the rate of growth will slow down.

Sarah had good advice. Try one of each size before you commit to several of one size.
Yes, I'm a Christian. No, it has nothing to do with me trying hard, but everything to do with God loving hard.-Lecrae (Christian rap star)
to,488px);}");
fwesson View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:43pm
Definitely the Sandy's! Trying both sizes is something I totally agree with. Smalls fit great on my little man around that same weight but, he was on the short side. He could fit in the large in a pinch but, the bulk was too much for me.
~~Farrah~~

Parker~14, Abby~12, Spencer~10, Charlotte~6,, Cooper~4, Margaret~2, & Tucker ~12-31-10.

"The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept."~George Carlin
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 7:02pm
The rise isn't all that long.  If they have reasonably large thighs, I think a L would be fine.  If they have thinner legs, you might not have a small enough snap setting.  I agree w/ PP that trying a L would be the safest bet.  I think motherease.com still has the trial offer.  It's a good deal, and would give you the info. you need.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 2:33am
Originally posted by newbeetwins newbeetwins wrote:

Hello! I have now been cloth diapering my twin boys for 4 months and we love it! We started out with infant prefolds but now we are using small GMD flats - mainly pad folded in a variety of PUL covers. We have also tried some wool - did lots of origami folded flats under wool longies. But now our flats are too small to do anything but trifold. That is - I can't find a fold with any absorbency to pin/snappi that you can adjust to make bigger (only fold down more to make smaller). We will likely eventually get some large flats, but... now I think we may also want to get a few fitteds for some easy options under wool. I like the idea of all cotton fitteds (we have well water). I have a GMD red workhorse that I like, it overall fits the boys now (NO growing room- wouldn't fit if it were any smaller) BUT, the inner doubler/flap doesn't reach around to cover their most important parts (!) in front! They are big for 4mo, 16+ lb, and tallish - have outgrown all the covers in the rise well before the wt. range listed. SO, all this to say, should I get the brown workhorses, or is there another cotton fitted that every likes (with a generous size range, good absorbency, soft fit)....
Thanks for your advice!!

i just discovered that a snappi'd kite fold of a small flat with a padfolded flat doubler work GREAT for my 20 lbs boy! get the most out of the smalls! 
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 2:34am
oh yea, it's a kite fold with jelly roll to keep in any mess :)
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 361 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:15am
You can make an origami fold larger by staggering the edges, so instead of a square you have a rectangle on top of a square. Seperate the rectangle to make the triangle, and voila. a larger origami. I did that with ODD and used a cotton washcloth folded into the pad as a doubler.
Laura - Mom to DS 5/05, DD 4/07, DD 9/10, DS 4/13
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:34am
The Sandy Smalls still fit my LO at 12 months and 18 lbs.  She is on the middle snap setting for her legs and still the tightest snap setting for her waist.  (She is long and skinny...)  It sounds like your guys are chunkier, so they might fit the Large Sandy's. I would be worried about the fit around the legs. 

I'm in agreement with the PP that you should buy one of each off the swap, you can always resell whatever doesn't work to make back some of the money!
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:44am
You could also try Little Lion fitteds. They are very generous in their sizing and on clearance right now. After you add them to your cart the price shows up as $66, comes out to $5.50 each.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 239 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:04pm
We like sandies and one size also. Under wool works really well for us, but our wrap style pul covers don't work well over the sandies. If you get a trial pkg, or even a part time pkg, you can get an air flow cover to go with them.

Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote newbeetwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:03pm
Thank you all! We ended up trying the large Sandy's - it fit great - i think the middle snap for the waist and the 2nd snap on the legs - so plenty of growing room. So we then got the trial package - and we're using these under wool. Still using the small flats trifolded under the rest of our covers. Thanks for the tip on making the origami fold longer- will have to try it- love that fold for super trim under wool!
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 131 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by ShannonM1976 ShannonM1976 wrote:

You could also try Little Lion fitteds. They are very generous in their sizing and on clearance right now. After you add them to your cart the price shows up as $66, comes out to $5.50 each.

Shannon, which kind of LL fitteds do you have and what size for your DS? That is a really nice price.
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

Originally posted by ShannonM1976 ShannonM1976 wrote:

Shannon, which kind of LL fitteds do you have and what size for your DS? That is a really nice price.

I have these ones:

Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 131 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:47am
Thanks, Shannon!
oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:02am
I really like Sandy's, too. But, we are on the verge of growing out of smalls while the larges are just crazy roomy--9 months, 18 lbs, average build. We are using some ODC loops in the meantime because the sizing of the medium is just right, but the style is similar---those are bamboo terry, though. Not cotton. 
 Post Reply Post Reply