Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Camping - Pop Up vs Tent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping - Pop Up vs Tent
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:18pm
We LOVE camping, have been doing it for years.  We have always tent camped, but now we have outgrown our tent, so we are thinking of purchasing a small pop up.  So are pop ups worth it?  Are they any easier when it comes time to pack up?  I envision being able to leave most supplies packed away in the camper and basically having it ready to go at a moments notice, which sounds wonderful compared to the hours I would have to pack and prepare for a tent camping excursion.  Any thoughts? Advice? Warnings?
Laura - Mom to DS 5/05, DD 4/07, DD 9/10, DS 4/13
Sponsored Links

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 176 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm
DH and I have been talking about the same thing. We tent camp, grew up tent camping (both of us) but it would be so nice to have everything in one place and pop up campers are so light weight you don't need a "beast" to pull them. Our friends have one, and that is pretty much it.  They are able to keep everything in it and then pack clothes and food and then head out.

The only reason we are thinking a hard side small camper is that a pop up is still considered a tent if you camp in bear country, so you can't keep your coolers of food or cooking supplies in the pop up camper. Same rules for tent camping that apply to pop-up campers.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(61)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 88 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:35pm
We mostly camped with tent trailers when I was growing up and we loved them. We could pull it with our family mini-van and were able to keep things all together and like you said, leave fairly quickly. I didn't tent camp (except for when I was 2) at all until I was in my late teens and that is WAY more work! The only thing about tent camping is like Sarah said, you have to put food in the car if there are bears around and you can't stop and use the bathroom like in a hard sided trailer, but it is much nicer than tent camping in my opinion.
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 59 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:36pm
I tent camped for several years growing up then my parents bought a pop up camper.  We tent camp right now with our family but DH and I have talked about a pop up camper for the same reasons your thinking.  Talking to my mom she said it was great having everything packed and ready to go.  It was much easier leaving to go camping on a moments notice with the pop up.  She even kept our "camping clothes" packed in there through the summer.  We would get home wash everything and right back into the camper it went.  We would go camping most weekends of the summer.
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:56pm
I've only ever tent camped but we've talked about getting a pop up as well.  It would be so nice to have most of our stuff already packed and waiting to go.  We've been kinda hesitant though after hearing from several people that they got rid of their due to leaks.  But leaks seam to be the name of the game with campers it seams.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 10:16pm
Pop ups are nicer than tents, but you might like a small hard one. We have a bigger hard one and the set up is really easy. And You don't have to worry about the canvas. Canvas needs to be aired out and its life span isn't as long as the rest of the trailer
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
newmominmaine View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote newmominmaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 9:21am
I dont know about pop ups, we have only ever tent camped... but FWIW, I have 2 big rubbermaid tubs i keep packed/stocked with all our camping gear.  if you have storage spcae it might be an option.  i have one that is all food/prep and one that is supplies and between the 2 i have everything i need for a weekend or even longer trip.  i add a cooler and our clothes (plus the tents and kids toys etc) and we are off.  sleeping bags and pillows have to get tossed in too i guess, so maybe not too helpful... but i have everything else stshed in those tubs and we can grab and go. 
off the top of my head the food one has: plastic table cloth, plastic plates/cups/bowls, silverware, serving stuff (a big tray- spoons- a big plastic bowl)  sponges, 3 dish pans, garbage bags, tin foil, baggies of al sizes, sharpie, scissors, cutting board, knives, tongs, whatever you call the pancake flipper, hot mits, 3 pots of various sizes, our camping percolator/coffee pot, salt/pepper, sugar, coffee, rubber bands/twist ties,

the other is lantern, flashlights, ropes, tarps, bug spray, sunscreen, hatchet, matches/lighter, clothes pins, charcoal, grates for the fire, bleach, extra propane, dish soap, hand soap, little dustpan and broom...

you get the idea.  i know there is more stuff, they are large, full and heavy.... but we just slide them into the truck, and then back out into the garage and all the "odds and ends" we need every time are always all set.  i clean/repack when we get home so i know next time im ready to go!  it helps with the packing up process and makes it more enjoyable for me to go... i know we will have what we need and its less stress getting out the door.  i also camp with my girlscouts- so the tubs get a lot of use!
Alex- SAHM to 3 amazing Bonus Children Olivia 5-97 Savanna 11-99 Billy 3-02 and my beautiful boys Westley 1-10 and Wyatt 6-12. Blessed and lucky to be with Billto,488px)div
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 11:33pm
Thanks everyone! We are fairly organized with tubs for everything from cups to beds, but it still takes half a day to get it all organized in/on top of the car. Maybe if we had a truck it would be easier. Then we could just toss it all in the back and call it good. Or perhaps we just bring to much stuff. Either way we're super excited about this camping season and hoping to get out more often than not.
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:49pm
my family tent camps every summer but i missed last year and will miss this year (my babies due last May and this June)--- really hope next summer works out! with two little ones on hand :)
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:50pm
my family tent camps every summer but i missed last year and will miss this year (my babies due last May and this June)--- really hope next summer works out! with two little ones on hand :)
kingapat View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 234 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:57pm
We used to use tents...until last summer. We got a used pop-up camper for a good price and we absolutely love it!
DD 8/96 DS 10/04

DS 9/08 DS 3/10 DD 9/11 DS 3/14
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:23pm
we mostly tent camp but i am curious about pop ups too. i didn't realize about the bears and no food. no idea why that never occured to me...

Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:52pm
I adore tent camping. Personally, I think I would be just as annoying with organizing a pop up as I would making sure we have all our tent gear. I think it would depend on how often you go. If it is quite a bit, then a pop up makes sense as you can be fairly confident that your supplies are fine. We often take two or three big trips or less so that wouldn't work for my family.
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:27pm
Well, we did it, we bought a pop up. I'm actually really impressed with the amount of storage space it has in it. I will be able to store all of the things in our tubs, plus have the beds made, and have a little extra space as well. Set up seems to be relatively quick so far and we are able to keep it up in our pole barn, while we clean it and get it ready for summer. We're really excited for our first short trip, probably over mothers day weekend. Yeah for local parks!
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:32pm
Yeah!  We loved our family camping trips last summer.  With inside storage, you will be able to keep it in good shape too. 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
 Post Reply Post Reply