Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Push-ups...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 146 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Push-ups...
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 10:35am
I have a push-ups question...

Doing our work out (Insanity) we do lots of push-ups they always do them from Plank Position (so that you balance on hands and toes, not knees)

I am not quite there for strength so I think that doing them with my knees on the ground and keeping good form is better than having not as good form or only doing 1 or 2 in the correct "plank" position.

What do you think? As you build your fitness level, better to do them with knees on the ground but correct arm and body position or only do 1 or 2 in the correct "plank" position but struggle with correct form?

Oh and I don't think there is a right or wrong, I was just curious what others doBig smile
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sponsored Links

mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 72 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 10:57am
I would strive for the correct position.  If you are not in the correct position then injury would be more likely.

IMO I would do what you could in the plank position and then go to on the knees to finish. 

Edited by mamma22boys - 14 Mar 2012 at 10:57am
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
diaperpin-jen View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(6)

Perennial Pinner
14 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote diaperpin-jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 11:05am
I LOVE insanity but I one thing I think is missing from Shaun T's videos are alternate ways of doing things until you build your strength to the level that he's at. He suggests to stop when things are too difficult....Personally I prefer to keep going, slow down and modify the exercise making it easier so I can build my strength / endurance.

Using knees is fine - you might not be working the same areas that Shaun is focusing on but like you said you will have good form and you will still build strength on your arms. I suggest starting off in the position that he suggests and then dropping down to your knees (maybe with extended arms and not plank) when you find that your form is suffering....and maybe even go back to plank if you can.

Edited by diaperpin-jen - 14 Mar 2012 at 11:06am
Creator of the Pin and Proud mama of 2!

Check out our new blog - The Corner! iv class
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 146 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:03pm
That is what I do. I try to do it the way I am supposed to, take breaks as needed, but sometimes I can keep going just not at the level he does.

I agree, I wish that they had "alternative" options for some of the exercises. If the people on the video are exhausted and they are in top shape, how am I going to do it when I am trying to get into shape
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

That is what I do. I try to do it the way I am supposed to, take breaks as needed, but sometimes I can keep going just not at the level he does.

I agree, I wish that they had "alternative" options for some of the exercises. If the people on the video are exhausted and they are in top shape, how am I going to do it when I am trying to get into shape

exactly this - and that was my thought when doing p90x and insanity.  Goodness - they are fitness pros who do that all day, every day, and are paid for it.  i'm a squishy mom who doesn't sleep and is squeezing in workouts between making meals and cleaning bottoms and trying to avoid the toys/kids on the floor.  LOL
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
JamieNoblit View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote JamieNoblit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:31pm
I do Insanity as well.  I do as much as I can in plank form and then drop to my knees to finish the rest.  As long as I'm moving my heart rate stays up & I'm burning fat and gaining muscle.  You'll notice as you go on that you'll get stronger and stronger and do more and more in plank position.  Hope that helps!
Mom to Caelan 9-10-07 and Cullen 8-18-09
yausers_2005 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote yausers_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:05pm

i also do as many as i can in plank (only one or two right now!), then drop my knees down for the rest.

Anna

Mommy to Austin (July '07) and Silas (January '10)! giada
shirleymoonie View Drop Down
P'interested
P'interested

Post Options Post Options   Quote shirleymoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 10:45am
Do them on your knees with good form. Over time do this with your knees further back (so they aren't directly under your hips) to increase your strength. You can also try doing them off the edge of a couch. Put your feet on the couch and hands on the floor. Creep further off the edge of the couch over time (eg start with a lot of your legs leaning on the couch and extend out in the following days).
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 243 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 1:19pm
I would do them as others said in plank position than drop to your knees.  Or if they don't time you pause and do some more in plank, then pause again.

At taekwondo I have to do them in plank position.  so if we are doing a lot of them (i had to do 50 the other night) I will take a few short pauses, usually after 10 or so.  My arms were still dieing at the end though.  If you want to build strength even faster strap your baby on your back and try to do some pushups LOL.  Just a few weeks ago I was doing the beginning class with ds2 on my back in my mei tai and would do squats and pushups with his extra 25+ pounds.  My pushups were in good position but I did not bend my elbows much because if I went down too far I couldn't get back up!  Now he sits by himself so that I don't have to do this anymore and I am very greatful!
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply