Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

side of beef

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: side of beef
    Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 9:39pm
Has anyone purchased a quarter or half beef? I found a farm up by Atlanta that looks great. They're no hormone, no antibiotic, grass fed, but not certified organic (which I'm ok with). I'm guessing a side would last us about a year, we're big beef eaters, but I'm not really sure. I'm also not sure how much room in the freezer it would take up, I've been seeing all different freezer square footage numbers while searching. 

Any thoughts or advice?
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 9:54pm
I haven't recently but a quarter does take up a good chunk of freezer space. If you are big beef eaters I think you would want a half to get you through a year.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 333 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:41pm
A quarter took us a year and a half to get through, but we weren't huge beef eaters, we'd go through it in about a year now. DH says a half would need about 10 cubic feet of freezer space.
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
illasmommy View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote illasmommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:43pm
My dad sells quarter/half beef.  For themselves, (family of 3 living in the house, two out of the house who help themselves :) They usually keep a half for the year and it's plenty.  This year they kept a whole beef plus had a whole hog done and it filled a large stand up freezer (the size of a regular refridgerator) and a large chest freezer.  The half they usually get fits well in the large chest freezer.  It's awesomely amazing to have all that food at your disposal.  Totally worth it and I highly recomend it.  You won't be disapointed.  (Assuming you've had grass fed beef before and know the difference in cooking technique, etc)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:15pm
I've only had grass fed beef a few times but when we were stationed in south dakota we lived on local grass fed buffalo and elk. We really miss the strong flavor and dark red lean meat but it does take some practice to cook. I'd really like to get a 1/4 buffalo but it would work out to almost $9/pound for grain fed and over $10 for grass fed - not going to happen! I think the grass fed beef will be a nice substitute.

I'll leave open at least 1/2 of out 21.8 cubic foot freezer, it sounds like that should be enough space.
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
Amelia81 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Amelia81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:51am
The first year we did side of beef, we bought half of a beef.  I was canning up some chili and canned beef when the next year came around.  We have done 1/4 beef since, but it's only me and Dh eating right now.  Baby is 6 months old.   It filled a significant portion of a 16.5 cucic feet freezer.  You won't regret it.  
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 124 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:15am
Ditto- you won't regret that purchase!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(31)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 21 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 10:23am
We have bought a half a local grass fed no hormone beef and it lasted us well over a year.  I am glad we did it, but will admit that it is a challenge to cook and the one we have now is very gamey tasting. DH hasn't enjoyed it much at all.  If you like stong flavored meat, it sounds like it would work well for you!!
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 11:04am
We just butchered a small steer which would be fairly equivalent to half a regular beef, one thing that will make a big difference in how much room it takes up is how it is processed, we deboned this entire animal, so only ended up with 175-200lbs of meat, however if the animal is cut and wrapped bone in, you will easily have half again as much weight/bulk to deal with. Just a thought!
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:06pm
We've done quarters from my grandpa a couple times, his is grass and grain fed.  It takes 2-3 shelves in our upright freezer depending on how big the animal was.  It is so nice having it there.  I hope you love it.

We got a half this year that is grass-fed and i'm actually very disappointed in it.  Not sure if it's the butcher or the cow itself but there's NO flavor and you cannot chew it.  It's so bad we've thrown a bunch of it out because it's completely unedible.  What's left is going to have to be pot roasts, stew meat, and dog food.  This is our first grass-fed beef locally raised.  But i have bought organic beef from the grocery store and it's very good.  I thought this would be the same but it is certainly not.  We eat venison no problem so this beef has been an all around shocker to us.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
Rgypsyrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rgypsyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 11:38am
We've raised some beef, hogs and lambs for ourselves and to sell.  A good sized half will fill an upright freezer.  Make sure you take the time to research the cuts available and what size packages you want and will work well for you.  One of the biggest complaints we here is "the roasts were soo big"  They can make them smaller you have to ask.  The person taking orders for how to cut usually working off a list and moves very quickly through the list of their standard cuts... you need to know what is important to you and what you really want.  Think about how thick you want your steaks and roasts. 

As Jess said the butcher/processor has a lot of control over the quality of the meat and cuts.  If you have a choice of processors visit their retail store and purchase a few items to see which you like better and ask for references.   We have a number processors around that do a fantastic job and some others that you do not want to go anywhere near.  The bad ones the quality of the meat is bad off taste, bone chips unevenly cut steaks to cuts that are not what they should be. 

jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Rgypsyrose Rgypsyrose wrote:

We've raised some beef, hogs and lambs for ourselves and to sell.  A good sized half will fill an upright freezer.  Make sure you take the time to research the cuts available and what size packages you want and will work well for you.  One of the biggest complaints we here is "the roasts were soo big"  They can make them smaller you have to ask.  The person taking orders for how to cut usually working off a list and moves very quickly through the list of their standard cuts... you need to know what is important to you and what you really want.  Think about how thick you want your steaks and roasts. 

As Jess said the butcher/processor has a lot of control over the quality of the meat and cuts.  If you have a choice of processors visit their retail store and purchase a few items to see which you like better and ask for references.   We have a number processors around that do a fantastic job and some others that you do not want to go anywhere near.  The bad ones the quality of the meat is bad off taste, bone chips unevenly cut steaks to cuts that are not what they should be. 

We have heard the butcher this beef came from is a bad place to go through.  Too bad we didn't know before hand, it was just the place the farmer chose, but we'll never go through them again.  The place my grandpa uses is very good.  So i definately agree you should check places out if at all possible.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
 Post Reply Post Reply