Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Gear for Disneyland?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear for Disneyland?
    Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 12:15pm
We're planning a trip soon and I'm trying to figure out what we're going to need to walk a thousand miles a day with Z (4yrs) and D (13mos).  Here's what we have for transporting them...

strollers:
 - Baby Jogger - huge, either kid could ride, but the basket/storage is really small
 - Graco umbrella type stroller - not sure Z would fit and the wheels are a little wonky so hard to push straight

I'm thinking we're going to have to take the jogger, but anyone have other suggestions for something that would be better?  I don't really want to buy anything new since we almost never use strollers at home, but I have a few weeks to shop CL, consignment shops, etc. for something cheap.

carriers:
 - O&A SSC (buckles, DH's carrier)
 - BB Slen long wrap
 - Easycare short wrap
 - half-buckle MT (my fave)

Definitely going to bring the O&A since DH can wear either boy (and my mom can use it too with D).  It's unrealistic to think that I'll wear Z at all since he's so tall, but DH certainly can.  I'm trying to decide if I'll bring any wraps... IDK that I really see myself wrapping in the midst of chaos at DL, so the long wrap is probably out.  I could bring the shorty, but I'm trying not to bring too much and think my MT would get more use as a 2nd carrier.

Any other gear necessities besides stroller/carriers for amusement park survival?
Sponsored Links

lflips View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote lflips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 1:03pm
 I was just thinking that as far as a stroller goes could you borrow one from a friend? If you never really use the strollers you have now it seems kind of silly to buy one just for a trip. I wouldn't take the one with the wonky wheel as I'm sure that would get annoying very quickly. If you took one stroller and one carrier then one boy could ride and one could be pushed if neither wanted to walk and you wouldn't be saddled down with too much stuff. As far as other gear goes I would just take a back pack with some healthy snacks as amusement park food can be very expensive. 
Tamryn :

Mama to Eden and Ariadne
bcnyman View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 280 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bcnyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 3:16pm
I've heard that the double strollers you can rent there are pretty good, so that may be an option.  I'd bring the 2 buckle carriers and the shorty.  It can always double as a blanket, sun shade, ect.  Extras like outfits and shoes.  We had to buy ds, at 4 months, a new onesie because he had so many blow outs he went through the 2 extra's I brought and dd pee'd in her undies and shoes, so we had to buy new of those.  She was only 2.5, don't think it would be a problem at 4.  We brought lots of snacks like cutie oranges, water, crackers, string cheese, ect.  

We brought a couple back packs, one for diapers,wipes, wet bags because even though we used sposies we still used the wet bags we brought, clothes, ect.

Another backpack was for food.  We used a double stroller, so if one of us was carrying one kid we could toss the backpack we were wearing in the stroller seat, or if both kids were in the stroller we'd wear both the backpacks.  

One thing we did since we had our own stroller is we tied a big colorful piece of ribbon on our stroller, and on my moms wheelchair.  That way it was easier to spot and maybe a deterrent if someone wanted to walk off with the stroller.  

I can't wait to go to DL again, I love it!  Hope you guys have a great time!  
Courtney- mama to WillowMae, Graham, Milo and Genevieve!
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 3:29pm
honestly, i think wearing a kid is not as good there as it sounds. so much on off/in out and both of your boys are big-ish so I would definitely go double stroller. ideally, if someone you know has a sit and stand, that would be best. ds jumped on and off all the time and it was great. we just put a small (ds's) backpack under with my wallet, 1 hotel towel a few sposies/wipes and extra shirt for ds and shirt and shorts for dd, a water bottle(or two) to refill and a couple granola bars. everything fit and it was much easier to worry about just 1 bag. we never had a problem spotting ours, but if you rent one- they do rent doubles- i would tie something to it because the rentals will look the same. 

are you planning to eat food there or bring it in? i recommend a dining plan through disney so you can eat at good places and not worry about it. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(40)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 272 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:36pm
double stroller all the way.  I wouldn't BW a bigger baby at Disney.  I'd look at a rental place outside of Disney...the ones near Disney World rent the really good double strollers that are so easy to push and all.  Plus, a double stroller will easily help you lug around things like your diaper bag and anything else you want to bring in.  We brought in our own drinks when we went (water/soda/caprisuns for 5 people) and the stroller made it possible to carry all that through the park.
Becky
SAHM to DD1 (9), DD2 (7), and DD3 (3)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 12:55am
Thanks for all the input :)

Hmmm... looking at renting through DL and at $25/day and we wouldn't have it for the walk back and forth to the hotel doesn't seem like it's going to work.  I did find a place that you can rent from (with some really nice doubles) and they deliver to the hotel that looks pretty good though.

I definitely wouldn't plan on Z being worn much since he's so big - more like a JIC hands-free piggyback ride if he got tired of walking and D was in the stroller (assuming we were using our own single).  To be honest, IDK if D will even ride well in the stroller - he's only ever been in it when I was running with him and that was a good 6mos ago  He's super used to being worn everywhere, so although it'll be nice to have a stroller option if I get tired of wearing him, I think he'll be happier being worn most of the time.  But maybe he'll surprise me.

The backpack with extra stuff and snacks is a great idea.  I'm sure we'll eat some in-park food, but it'll be nice to have some of our own stuff too.  And great idea about marking the stroller so we can find it!
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(40)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 272 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:59am
there is so much to SEE at Disney.  I'll bet that he's going to be fine in the stroller with all the scenery.  Z will for sure get tired of walking.  At Disney World (which I know isn't the same as Disneyland, but it's where I've been ), our lowest walking day was still over 2 miles.  And that was with being conservative and not walking everywhere in the universe.  I wore a pedometer.

plus, you'll be tired and the on/off of the babywearing...IDK how long you'd last.   I mean, if you have a stroller, you can for sure store and bring it easily enough. 

I think we did the math and we saved like $200 by bringing in our own drinks. Shocked  And that's just assuming we'd get them at meals. 
Becky
SAHM to DD1 (9), DD2 (7), and DD3 (3)
Mom2Miles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(13)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 177 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom2Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 2:05pm
The first time we went dd was about 10 months and I took my Beco.  It was handy, but when you are wearing a sleeping child, you can't really ride anything.  It is also a pain to switch the child around all the time.  (We usually took turns riding with ds if it was a ride that the baby couldn't go on.)  Also, your feet will be tired.  Add the extra weight of a kid and they will be super tired and you might not enjoy yourself as much.  My cousin only took a single stroller.  She has the full size, travel system sort of stroller.  She could recline the seat a bit and put both kids in it.  She just put the smaller child on the older child's lap.  I took the big guns- the double jogger- and never regretted it.  Plenty of storage room for snacks, extra outfits, jackets for the evening, etc.  Also, seats that recline for sleeping children and a nice shade canopy so they can be out of the sun.  There is plenty of stroller parking everywhere.  If you are carrying backpacks, you are still going to have to find places to stash them if you all want to ride.  Some rides you can carry stuff like that, but not all. 

Honestly, if you have a nice CL, I would buy a used stroller of some sort take it for the trip, then just put it right back on CL once you are home.  I imagine it would be cheaper than renting.  

Hope you have a great trip!

ETA:  Like Becky, I also wore a pedometer and I think our lowest mileage day was 5-6 miles.  I took the double stroller last year too (ds was 4) and I plan on taking it again this year.  Even at 5, my ds will ride more than enough to make it worth having.

Edited by Mom2Miles - 12 Mar 2012 at 2:16pm
Laurie, SAHM to Miles (7) and Leah (4)

There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Bectoria Bectoria wrote:

there is so much to SEE at Disney.  I'll bet that he's going to be fine in the stroller with all the scenery.  Z will for sure get tired of walking.  At Disney World (which I know isn't the same as Disneyland, but it's where I've been ), our lowest walking day was still over 2 miles.  And that was with being conservative and not walking everywhere in the universe.  I wore a pedometer.

plus, you'll be tired and the on/off of the babywearing...IDK how long you'd last.   I mean, if you have a stroller, you can for sure store and bring it easily enough. 

I think we did the math and we saved like $200 by bringing in our own drinks. Shocked  And that's just assuming we'd get them at meals. 

this! how old is d now? he will probably love the a double stroller if Z is on it!! dd loved people watching and you will WANT shade for the baby, so a stroller provides that. i bet you we walked 2-5 miles a day for sure. my cousin wore a pedometer and they did 8 one day! but they were sans kids so theycould cover more ground and not take a break. 
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:32pm
D will be 14 mos when we go, but still shy of 20lbs so at least he's not heavy to carry  He makes a serious effort at throwing himself out of anything he's strapped into - high chair, grocery cart, etc. - which is pretty alarming

In any case... I had pretty much decided on renting a double (which we have to do outside the park b/c from what I've ready they don't rent doubles), but now DH is against it Wacko  He's super minimalist and thinks we'll be fine with the single... maybe I should show him this thread
bcnyman View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 280 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bcnyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:51pm
A double is well worth the room it takes up.  So nice to have space for anything, and everything!  You need to put your foot down on this oneLOL
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:58pm
I think he's afraid of the "anything and everything"  He doesn't really think we need that much stuff for the kids, but he's not the one who packs the diaper bag, drinks/snacks, etc.  I think I'm going to make a list of what the necessities are, and then the nice to have to save $$ stuff, and show it to him - and then ask how we're going to carry all of it all day.
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 280 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 10:06pm
I would go for a double (or two singles) for sure.  We went when ds1 was almost 3 and dd was 10 mo and ds definitely got tired of walking.  And dd is almost 4 now and when we went to hershey park last year she got tired of walking around some also and sat with ds2 in the stroller probably half the time.  I would also take whichever carrier you can both use and takes up the least space just in case you need to carry D for a little bit.  I like being able to carry my little guy hands free once in awhile even with the stroller to use most of the time. 
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:08pm
Okay, one more question about a double - isn't it impossible to maneuver through crowds?
bcnyman View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 280 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bcnyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:35pm
Nope!  We had this one  http://www.target.com/p/In-Step-Safari-Swivel-Wheel-Jogger-Double-Gray-Green/-/A-12403776#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton  

It was fantastic, could fit through almost all store doors, turned easily, wasn't huge, each kid had their own sunshade, was a great price, ect.  We had no issues going through the crowd.  
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:51pm
Hmm... I'm looking at the City Mini double here: http://www.citystrollerrentals.com/Disneyland-Stroller-Rentals.html
bcnyman View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 280 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bcnyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:25am
I think I've seen those stroller recommended lots!  You'll probably be good with it.  Of course, depending on how many days you'll be renting it might be worth it to just buy one off of CL and then sell it again.  We bought our double stroller new for 200 and sold it 18 months later for 100, I'd spend a hundred on the stroller I posted above.  Depending on how busy your CL is you might have lots of options.  

Mom2Miles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(13)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 177 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom2Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 1:05am
We didn't have any trouble navigating through crowds.  I mean it is always crowded, but as long as I sort of went with the flow of the traffic I didn't have any trouble.  
Laurie, SAHM to Miles (7) and Leah (4)

There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 9:49am
city mini is great- storage is awful. its just really hard to get to, you have to jam stuff in the side. you shouldn't have trouble in crowds because lots of people have them. it's definitely easier to maneuver without one but it's not like you will be powerwalking the park with a 4 yr old walking sometimes either. if you can rent a sit and stand, i would do that so Z can hop off and on easier. 
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 11:25am
Well we survived DL and I wanted to come back with what we used :)  I came really close to renting the double City Mini, but then after talking to the place that rented them realized that Z might be too tall to fit comfortably.  So... I decided to buy the attachment piece that would turn our jogger into a sit and stand.  It got terrible reviews so I was a bit worried, but it totally served our purposes - it was a little tricky to push with Z riding standing, but he loved it and DH pushed most of the time and was fine with it.  

I ended up bringing the 2 carriers - my mei tai and DH's buckle carrier.  I wore D a lot of the time - and on several rides (a lot of the rides in fantasyland like peter pan were easy lap rides, and even pirates of the caribbean which he slept through), which was great!  It was nice to have him securely strapped to me since he was too little to sit on his own.  It was also a lifesaver in ride lines since he's at the point of wanting to run crazy everywhere and fights me when I try to hold him, but settles when I'm wearing him for some reason.

And thank goodness we had the 2 carriers since he spontaneously puked all over both of us while I was wearing him back to the hotel the 2nd night (no idea what caused it and he was fine the next day)  I didn't have to worry about washing it until we got home and just used DH's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>