Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

amalgam fillings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
4LittleMonkeys View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4LittleMonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amalgam fillings
    Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:46am
Has anyone here ever had them replaced with composite?  I have thought about this alot and I am just curious of any experiences Big smile
DD(15),DS(12),DD(11),DS(4)
Sponsored Links

elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 176 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 11:04am
I only have composite fillings but my sister is in the process of having her 'silver' fillings replaced. She said it's not too bad but she does't like having an oxygen mask on (so she doesn't breathe in the fumes). It's expensive, it costs more than having a filling put in and insurance doesn't pay any of it.

Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
4LittleMonkeys View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4LittleMonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 11:27am
Liz, is she doing it because of the mercury concerns, for cosmetic purposes, or are her fillings wearing out?

thanks 
DD(15),DS(12),DD(11),DS(4)
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 115 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 11:39am
I think my mom has gotten a few replaced b/c the old ones were wearing out/falling out, but I don't remember for sure. I'll have to try and remember to ask her next time I talk to her. I have the composite ones now... I had the silver ones in my baby teeth though. I remember the taste after getting them, and the excruciating "shock" if I accidentally got a piece of foil in my mouth for whatever reason. *shiver* I don't miss them one bit!

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 176 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 11:52am
She's doing it for mercury concerns. When she had the fillings done in her early 20's she was told the fillings were safe and she didn't need to worry and that the composite fillings couldn't be put on surface cavities anyway. Then a couple years ago I had to stop at an atm to get cash to pay the dentist and she started asking about my insurance and all that. I told her my insurance wouldn't pay the cost difference between the amalgam and composite fillings and I ran out of checks so I had to pay the difference in cash. I showed her my fillings (many of which are on biting surfaces) and she was shocked that her dentist had not told her the truth. She started doing more research into the dangers of amalgam fillings and decided to have hers replaced. She's working on doing one at a time as she can afford it. 
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(31)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 1:06pm
I have 6 of the amalgam fillings now and they are all at least 25 years old.  Two so far were replaced with caps because the metal fillings were loose and food got under them and my tooth ended up cracking becuase of it.  So they have been replaced out of necessity and insurance paid a good portion.  I am not going to replace my others unless it is a need and insurance will pay for it.
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
BTM View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote BTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:16pm
My dentist is replacing mine. I only have 1 left. I am so glad I'm doing it. I love looking into my mouth and not seeing a bunch of silver! It hasn't been a problem for my insurance to pay. I suppose the medical code the dentist uses to bill the insurance reflects that they are failing. Liz, I imagine your sister's dentist would do that for her. Even if they are still functioning.

Edited by BTM - 07 Mar 2012 at 3:18pm
wife, mom to sweet TAZ, and sweet growing toddler AJZ giada md
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 11 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:38pm
The problem with removing amalgam fillings is that mercury is released during removal - more than if it is just left alone.  You also have the issue of BPA's in the resin fillings causing endocrine disruptions.  I can see not getting more amalgam fillings, but I personally would not have them replaced unless I was having health problems.  Check out this article http://www.ncahf.org/pp/amalgampp.html
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(13)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 2:06am
I had heard the same thing as Mary Beth from several different sources at different times.  I've had two replaced because they suspected a problem.  The rest are going to stay put unless they fail.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 130 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:08am
DH is having his replaced as they wear out. He takes super good care of his teeth, but he's one of those poor folks with awful teeth. At any rate, his dentist said he would just do them as they became lose, and they need it anyway.
Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply