Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Cover help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
afwsprag View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote afwsprag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cover help
    Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:31pm
Hi,

I'm pregnant with my second child, and I'd like to give cloth diapering a try this time around. I'm a SAHM, so I have more time than money. Because of that and from lurking on these boards, I think I'm going to invest in flats, prefolds, and some GMD workhorse fitteds, especially for hubby who isn't convinced that we should give up disposables.

What covers would you recommend to get the most out of my money? (All I have so far isan Econobum cover and three prefolds and three Bum Genius 4.0s, which I bought to try out on DD1.) We will likely have a third child at some point, so long-lasting covers area a definite plus.

FYI: I'm not planning on buying any NB cloth diapers. We already have quite a few 'sposies.

Also, where is the most inexpensive place to buy wool covers? I can barely sew a button, so making them myself isn't really an option.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:34pm
I'd go with the Capri. 4-6 in each size should get you through potty training. 
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 139 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:47pm
I love Thirsties for the newborn size, especially over flats and prefolds. They keep all the mess inside. They fit great over workhorses too. I loved the WH for the newborn stage, I think your DH will be surprised at how easy they are to use!

I prefered the sized Thirsties, but I think most moms like the Duo's which only come in 2 sizes, which means less to buy.

I've had really good luck with the smaller size Thirsties lasting through several kids, but in the bigger sizes they are in the same cover for so long they don't last as well. You certainly will save over buying disposables even if you have to replace a few covers, though! The diapers you have picked will save you a ton and be low maintenence as well.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:06pm
I love Thirsties duo wraps and I think they have a great system with the size 1 and 2 and Blueberry coveralls have a mini and the regular size which are awesome too.  Flips and Econobums are my next favorite for PUL covers.  I haven't tried Capris but they are made by the same company as Blueberry so I am sure they are great but I know from what mamas are saying they run big. 
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:13pm
There is a pin mama with an online shop: Mombecks.com who sells Disana at a very reasonable price with free shipping--in response to your question about inexpensive wool options. You can also check FSOT boards and get some great deals...the last time I checked there were a few on here :)
I use the thirsties duo covers and liked them quite a bit when my DD was small. I liked them more than econobum because I really like a gusset for containment. They are only moderately more expensive, plus a few cute colors and prints.
Good luck. Glad you are going to give cloth a try!
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:40pm
I've only seen the size 2 Capri in person. However, from the comparison pics posted, it appears that the size 1 actually folds down slightly smaller than the Thirsties Duo, while also opening up bigger at the top setting. That's the main reason I would recommend it over the Thirsties- just a wider size range. It also is designed to be more versatile and has stronger hook and loop. 
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
 Post Reply Post Reply