Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Prefolds just arrived...Now what???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vzlaw1 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote vzlaw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prefolds just arrived...Now what???
    Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 12:14am

So I order a dozen of the Chinese and Indian prefolds or trifolds(???) now I read on some other forums to wash like 5-6 times before using then something about boiling. S I'm wondering why all that prep work is needed. We also have 6 new grovia covers. Do I have to do the same with those?

A quick breakdown should help this lost father !!! We have a HE washer and currently use dredt liquid soap.

Thank you
Sponsored Links

stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 104 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 12:23am
Do not use Dreft. Ermm Look here for a cloth diaper safe detergent. There are tons to choose from, and some of us rebels just us Tide even though it's not supposed to be super "safe" on diapers. It's the only thing that gets mine clean though, we just rinse extra.

They are called prefolds, but you can use them by fastening them with pins or a snappi and covering with your Grovia covers, or by trifolding them into the cover and putting it on the baby that way.

To prep, do a HOT water wash with 2x the amount of detergent and rinse a few times, then dry completely. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. LOL Yes, I'm serious. You can do all that or you can boil them a couple at a time with a drop or two of Dawn dish detergent. Boil them each for 10-15 minutes (make sure you don't leave it unattended and boil all the water out of the pot, you'll burn the prefolds) and drain in a collander, then take them all and do a single wash/dry. They should be prepped after that but the more you dry them the further they'll shrink up and quilt, and the more absorbent/soft they'll get.

Hope I was helpful, let us know if you have any more questions and welcome to the Pin!
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 12:35am
Prefolds need "prepping" to optimize absorbancy, and to shrink them down to their true size.  New cotton (particularly unbleached) retains some of the plant's oils in the fibres, which makes the new diapers somewhat water-resistant - generally not what you're after in a diaper!.  Hot washing and drying strips these oils out.

I washed and dried my prefolds just once before using (I'm impatient!) understanding that their absorbancy would improve with repeated laundering.  A single wash and dry was certainly enough to make them usable.

With respect to detergent:  Cotton prefolds are pretty forgiving.  I'd use whatever you have on hand.  I wouldn't bother with specialized detergent unless I started to have problems.  One caveat: avoid fabric softener at all costs.  It will make your diapers waterproof!

Edited by northwoods - 06 Mar 2012 at 12:36am
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(44)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 149 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:37am
Originally posted by northwoods northwoods wrote:

I washed and dried my prefolds just once before using (I'm impatient!) understanding that their absorbancy would improve with repeated laundering.  A single wash and dry was certainly enough to make them usable.
This is what i do, too.  Wash and dry once and use them.  Just know they won't be super absorbent until they've been washed 5-6 times.  So I wouldn't use them overnight or at naptime (if she takes long naps) before then.

boiling - boiling is a great method to quickly fully prep your prefolds, but it's really better if you only have a couple to prep at once.  A dozen would be better off in the washer, IMO.

I'm not too finicky about my detergent and my diapers, but I would probably not use dreft on the diapers. 

And your covers don't need any special treatment before you can use them.  A 20 minute trip in the dryer will seal the PUL fully (the sewing machine makes tiny holes in it and heating in the dryer seals them back up).

Edited by Bectoria - 06 Mar 2012 at 9:38am
Becky
SAHM to DD1 (9), DD2 (7), and DD3 (3)
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:46am

I wash mine and dry them 3 times for prepping with Rockin Green or whatever cloth diaper safe laundry detergent you choose but its wash hot, dry wash hot, dry wash hot, dry :)  usually that does the job enough to use them and with use they will eventually become fully absorbent. 

Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
nicolehedges View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote nicolehedges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 4:12pm
Lots of great tips here all ready...not to be a rebel or snarky, but I have to say it can be okay to use fabric softener on diapers.  I have been using Downy F & G on my sandys (cotton fitteds), prefolds and flats for years everytime I wash and I have never had any repelling issues.  I use just a little in the final rinse and my diapers are always super soft and still soak up a ton of potty.Wink  I know there are other mommas out there that do the same as there are posts several different places on this...just do a google search.

We also use Tide and love it!!
Nicole~momma to 8 wonderful kids!!paydnd giada md
vzlaw1 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote vzlaw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 4:53pm
Thanks everyone, I'll look into getting a different laundry soap.
hopefully with doing the.EC, we won't need to use so many prefolds daily.

Post Reply Post Reply