Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Balance Bikes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 87 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balance Bikes
    Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:31pm
I thought there was talk about different balance bikes a while back but I've looked and looked and can't find the thread I was thinking of.  So, for those of you who have a balance bike what do you have?  Pros/Cons? etc.  We're getting YDD one for her 2nd b-day so one that adjusts down small enough.  I'm leaning towards a wooden one but am open to others.  Like most things every one I look at has some good and some poor reviews.  I know there are some REALLY nice ones out there but we're hoping to stay around $100 (or less) if at all possible without totally sacrificing quality and being disappointed.  
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
Sponsored Links

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 204 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:43pm
Love Balance Bikes!!!

We have a 12" bike that I pulled off the pedals and it works, but ODS who is 4 is almost too short to use it and he is pretty tall for his age.

Last month I found a Smart Gear Balance Bike on Woot and stanched it up. It is so fun! The seat goes much lower than a 12" bike.

DD is almost 6 and she loves to play on the balance bikes too. I am amazed at how it is improving their balance and they can go FAST!!
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Mom2Miles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(13)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 204 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom2Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 12:05am
I got dd the Radio Flyer one for Christmas.  We love all our RF stuff which is why I went with that brand, and because the price was great!  We haven't had it outside a ton yet, but they love to ride it around the house.  My ds is doing great on it.  I think he will be able to go on his pedal bike by summer without training wheels.  He had been using training wheels last summer and just wasn't gaining any confidence on his bike at all.  (I tried to get him a balance bike a couple years ago, but he refused to try it and wanted pedals like his dad)  My dd is also doing great on it.  She lifts both feet off the ground for several seconds just around the house.  The one negative about the RF bike is that it isn't the best for tiny kids.  My dd is really tall for her age so I knew she would be fine with it, but my friend's ds who is a few months older can't really use it yet.  He is really small for his age though.  I think you would have to have your kiddo try it out to see if she is tall enough for it.  It was $50 or so at Walmart I think.
Laurie, SAHM to Miles (7) and Leah (4)

There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill
northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 2:59am
We have wooden Runner's bikes.  Which I bought because I can get them locally.   I like the simplicity of these.  No pointy or sharp bits to scrape my kids when they fall.

Our wooden bikes aren't perfect though: my 2 yo had a low to moderate speed crash and delaminated the front fork.  The bike was replaced by the store no questions asked so I can't really complain too much about this!  The axle bolts also need periodic tightening and some loctite - I learned the hard way that they will eventually work themselves loose.
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 87 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:17pm
Thanks everyone.  The Smart Gears was one I was looking at.  I think I'll keep my eyes open over the next few weeks to see if it shows up on Woot, Zulily, or somewhere.  I'll have to look at the Radio Flyer one and see if they have it in store locally anywhere so I can size YDD up on it.  The Runner's Bikes look really nice too.  I SO wish I could actually see more of these IRL and see DD on a few different kinds!!
anricat View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote anricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:49am
We have a Skuut and have been very happy with it. We're REI members and we used our annual 20% off coupon to buy it there. DD is 3 and she can ride a bike with pedals now without assistance. She's a little hesitant to do it, but she definitely can do it. I may have posted some video awhile back. I'll have to see if I can find it. It's pretty incredible. 
Summer - mom to Emmaline - 7/4/08
Little Baby Bat - my baby, toddler and children's hats
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 87 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by anricat anricat wrote:

We have a Skuut and have been very happy with it. We're REI members and we used our annual 20% off coupon to buy it there. DD is 3 and she can ride a bike with pedals now without assistance. She's a little hesitant to do it, but she definitely can do it. I may have posted some video awhile back. I'll have to see if I can find it. It's pretty incredible. 

I think you did post a video.  That is the thread I was trying to search for but couldn't find it Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply