Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Meal planning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mmollett View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mmollett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meal planning
    Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 9:37am
I have had quite a bit of trouble getting a menu together that is feasibly done with my daily work schedule. I gave used e-meals and we don't really like their food. Any suggestions for something similar? How do you do your meal planning and grocery shopping?
Sponsored Links

GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 215 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 10:51pm
I haven't ever used e-meals or anything similar really, so I'm not much hope there.  I tend to keep a list of different meal ideas that we have tried and like and I pull from that.  I try to mix in something different here and there.  I tend to thumb through the online adds for the local grocery places and look to see if stuff I would use to make any of our regular meals is on sale and kinda go from there.  DH is a picky eater, so it's not always easy to shop a sale with him.  I don't work, so I'm not a lot of help as far as planning around work schedule.  All I can think of is that I would probably use the crock pot a lot.  A lot of meals can be adapted to work well in a crock pot.  I recipe shop a LOT on allrecipes.com  I like that you get reviews from real people, and you can look and gauge if a recipe would work for you or not.
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 326 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:16pm
I've never tried a meal planning website either and I also don't work, so not sure how helpful I can be, but I have been struggling with this lately myself. 

A couple of things that I've figure out are that it helps tremendously to have a list of all the meals you've tried and liked. There were so many good meals that just never came to my mind when I was trying to come up with something last minute, but having a written list solves that problem and keeps me from making the same things too often. I like to plan out 2 weeks of meals and then make my shopping list from that. Instead of assigning meals to days I just pick the meal I want to make on that day knowing that I bought all the ingredients for those 14 meals. 

As far as quick meals: stir-fry's, individually frozen fish fillets, crockpot meals, maybe keeping shredded pre-cooked chicken in the freezer to use in different dishes or cooked ground beef. I've been making a bunch of freezer food in advance lately, but I'm not sure how reasonable of an option that is if you don't have a deep freeze. 
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 112 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:26pm
Someone just told me abou href="http://www.foodonthetable.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Food on the Table - it is meal planning but it looks like you select what types of food you are interested in, it builds the grocery list. It also combines it with your local grocery store sales.

I haven't investigated it too much, but it does look interesting because you get to build the menu with their inspiration.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
mmollett View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mmollett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 1:52am
Food on the table rocks!!!! I am so excited to use this thing!!!! They have an iPhone app so no losing the list, I can additional ingredients!!! I am stoked! Thank you ladies I think dh will be VERY thankful!
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 38 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:28pm
Glad you posted this.  i am checking out Food on the table. 

My go to things are to make something big in the crock pot on the weekends and then adapt leftovers to new things.  Like a pot raost or roast chicken.  it is just me and the boys at night during the week so we eat pretty simply.  I get home from work/picking up the boys between 4 and 4:30.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
 Post Reply Post Reply