Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Help with this coop?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with this coop?
    Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 11:18pm
Is THIS one really big enough for 10-16 chickens? Seems only adequate for about 8, by my calculations...help! We really like it but think for 8-12 chickens we'd need to go bigger. What do you think?

Also interested in THIS one but don't know if it's big enough either. Nobody seems to make a combo coop/run big enough for 12 chickens!

Edited by stegmanjessica - 01 Mar 2012 at 11:42pm
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
Sponsored Links

Gotchickens View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 136 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 12:15am
I think you need to find bigger coops. Neither of them look big enough even for 6 chickens. 
Sarah ~:>

Full time Mom to Peter, Joshua, and Helen. Two peas in a pod with the love of my life Dan 7/4/2009.k
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 136 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 12:32am
I don't know where you are in WA but here is one for houses:

http://www.comfycoops.com/products-page/chicken-coops/gambrel-barn/

Looks like this guy builds houses and runs:

http://www.saltboxdesigns.com/node/41

Here is another one (these look a little pricier):

http://dazingdawg.com/chickencoop.aspx

Hope these help. We need to get going on our chicken house too. Here is the one we are looking at building (neither of us are carpenters so we'll see how this works):

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/our-coop-adventure

Full time Mom to Peter, Joshua, and Helen. Two peas in a pod with the love of my life Dan 7/4/2009.k
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 12:54am
Thanks Sarah!! I'm going to look into those, it would be so much better (than what I'm looking at online) to buy local instead of pay for shipping. I appreciate your Google-ey fingers LOL
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Gotchickens Gotchickens wrote:

I think you need to find bigger coops. Neither of them look big enough even for 6 chickens. 
I completely agree. Going with the bare minimum of size is going to cause nothing but problems. I can't believe they claim to hold so many chickens!
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 107 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:47am
Originally posted by erinchelsea erinchelsea wrote:

Originally posted by Gotchickens Gotchickens wrote:

I completely agree. Going with the bare minimum of size is going to cause nothing but problems. I can't believe they claim to hold so many chickens!

I was thinking they looked a little small also.

I really like the look of the ones in the second link Sarah posted. Do you have many predators in your area? The coop is the toughest part to build IMO - if you could buy it and build the run yourself I think that would be a good way to get something bigger while saving some money... and then you can also better customize it. We're actually going to be setting our newest coop back in some trees (just a small tree line along the pasture fence) and then we're going to fence in the area surrounding it so they can hang out under the trees. Right now that's where all of mine lounge during the day. They have cover, areas for dust baths, and other natural "features." I want to cut back on the amount of free range time b/c of the sheer amount of poop everywhere, but I don't want to limit them to a small patch of mud (which is what the old run is now). I think the thicker brush and tree roots help keep them from completely demolishing the area... we'll see once they are there semi-full time.

I definitely want to see what you decide on! DH is one who likes to make do with things whenever possible so I will never have such a nice set up... ours run more along the lines of "redneck" LOL.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:56am
We do have predators, primarily hawks. A friend of ours found a hawk in his chicken enclosure (no top to it, just fenced sides) and it was so fat from eating his chickens it couldn't take off and fly away! He had to pick it up and throw it over the fence! LOL The last thing I want is for 6 of our girls to get picked off by a hawk! We also have raccoons and possums, etc. I really think our best bet is going to be to buy a new shed, have a friend pour a concrete foundation on the side of our house, and build the shed there. We have a great side yard that we're planning to be the chicken zone. 
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:58am
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/grd/2880563103.html

Would a shed with only one window ever work well? I really like that top one and Isaac said we could get it in 2 weeks! We would be leaving the door open all day for the girls to be in their run, so...maybe? We could probably put hardware cloth over the window so we could keep it open 24/7 also?
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 1:38pm
Hmm, I just found THIS ONE! The guy is going out to measure it and take interior pictures for me. Um, looks pretty cool! The price is right too! 
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 136 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 1:56pm
Your welcome! The one on wheels looks cool. We are going to have ours moveable so as to cut down on the amount of yard damage that chickens do. The only thing you may want to customize on it is to put nesting boxes on the outside. It would free up space inside and you wouldn't have to walk in the umm.. chicken land mines to get eggs. 

P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 1:57pm
We'll see what happens with that one. I can't wait for him to send me pics! And yes, we'd probably try to put some nesting boxes outside, just not sure how to do the labor part of it. I'm sure we could figure it out. 
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 136 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 2:47pm
Can't wait to hear more details! This is so making me want to build ours. Sigh... I just have to be patient a little longer. :)

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 3:30pm
That looks great, Jess! I hope you can get it! Will you leave it on the wheels or put it on a foundation? I would love to have a moveable chicken tractor like that. It is AMAZING how fast they can eat up all the vegetation and turn it into a mud pit!
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 100 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 3:37pm
I'm not sure what we'd do Erin. DH hasn't even seen it yet and I won't be able to talk to him until Sunday morning! He's working 48 at the busiest station Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply