Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

S/O urban livestock allowances?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S/O urban livestock allowances?
    Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 5:23pm
If you are in an urban setting, what are the restrictions for keeping chickens/hens/goats/etc. in your area?

Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
Sponsored Links

stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(61)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 198 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 5:26pm
Ugh. We have half an acre in an older neighborhood (built 1980) with lots of large secluded lots of land and we're only allowed 3. We won't be following that rule. Nobody will ever know we have them, or care. We will probably try to keep 8-12 depending on what size coop/yard setup we come up with. 
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 5:41pm
In our town, you are required to have at least three acres to have any livestock.  This is ridiculous as the larger single-family lots are barely .25 acre.  There are larger lots but they get into the $1M range and are certainly out of reach for the majority of the town.  Some of us wrote a petition, got 500 signatures, and still the town won't budge, even though a large-ish city nearby allows up to six hens as long as certain requirements are met.  I'm curious if others have either overcome similar restrictions or have just kept flocks anyway and remained under the radar. 

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(61)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 198 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 5:43pm
What about you? Do you have, or are you getting chickens anyway? (That's a really dumb rule too!!)
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 5:54pm
Nope, none here.  I would be tempted to if I didn't have a bajillion neighbors, one of whom works in zoning.  Doh! He busted me for having an "unenclosed composting facility" (putting scraps in a tree stump hole and covering with leaves and cuttings and chicken wire, redneck but it worked).  :S  Chickens without legal grounds would be a big mess.  :(  

P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(61)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 198 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 6:07pm
That really sucks! Bummer :(
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 7:21pm
here it's three (hens, ducks, goats) here w/out a permit, but the Urban Farm Store (!) told me as long as you're a reasonably responsible citizen almost everyone gets approved for permit requests for more.
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(29)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 181 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 3:39am
Three hens, no roosters and there is a setback for the coop. (I thought it was 15 feet, DH said it was 35 feet.). I don't think we'll be following either (the hen limit or the setback). We're just going to let our neighbor on that side of the yard know that we are getting chickens and the coop will be over there and to let us know if any problems arise. We have a good relationship with her so I'm not overly concerned.

No other livestock permitted unless your lot is over an acre, which ours is not.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
KeepItSimple View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote KeepItSimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 3:09pm
Ours is about the most generous allowance for the entire metro area.

Kansas City, MO.  It is o.k. to have a chicken coop within city limits as long as it is 100 feet away from any other building (besides your own) where people
live.  Also, you have to keep the manure from becoming a nuisance, and keep the coop in good condition.  You are limited to 15 chickens.

"Number of animals or fowl; keeping of roosters. Except where fowl, rabbits or other small animals are kept for sale within a bona fide produce market, commission house or store for the purpose of trade and while so kept are confined in small coops, boxes or cages, or where such animals or fowl are kept for purposes of research in a laboratory, or in areas zoned for agricultural use, it shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain, within 100 feet of the nearest portion of any dwelling or other building occupied by or in any way used by human beings except for a dwelling occupied by the owner or keeper of such animals, more than 15 chickens or other domestic fowl four months or more of age or 50 chicks or other domestic fowl under four months of age, or more than ten rabbits or other small animals over the age of four months, or more than 25 rabbits or other small animals under the age of four months. No rooster which crows shall be kept within 300 feet of any residence or dwelling except that of the owner or keeper."
Jenny,wife to Adam since 1994
SAHMom to:
18. 17. 15. 13. 12. 10. 8. 7. 5. 3.& Eva Joy 6-11-13
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
It's nice some of you have the ability to keep chickens or other livestock.  We've got some friends who really want to have chickens of their own but the city told them they can't have any at all.  They've found some people who are willing to keep them outside of town for them at least.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:52pm
we would LOVE to keep bees- don't know if they are considered 'livestock', but that would be our go to 'urban pet'
 Post Reply Post Reply