Forum Home Forum Home - Welcome! - Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome To Diaper Pin!  We are glad you've found us!

We have a wealth of information available to you in reviews, articles and through our members in our forums. 

Intros is a great place to start and tell us a little about yourself and where you are starting out cloth diapering.   The easiest way to start learning is jumping in and participating!

NEw here and to CD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vzlaw1 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote vzlaw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEw here and to CD
    Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 12:41pm

Hello everyone,

Its probably rare to see a dad, I don’t know I may be wrong but this is my first day here and only see moms. My wife and I are new to cloth diapers. We just ordered a few covers and pre-folds this week.

This is us in a nutshell:

New parents to a 1.5 month old “ Mateo” living in So Cal’

Started Elimination Communication 3 weeks ago, doing pretty good-still missing about 25% of #1 &#2

Decided to switch to CD after reading about the pluses

I wanted to get feedback on Cloth diapers, specifically Grovia and elimination communication. I didn’t really find much on elimination communication here. I thought Cloth and EC went hand n’ hand, but then again, I’m new to know- so I don’t know. HAHA Tongue

Also, any feedback on the grovia covers- any tips, suggestions etc..

Thanks, hope to hear from y’all.

Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 27 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 12:53pm
Hi! Cloth and EC don't always go hand in hand. I use cloth but have never considered ECing. I also don't know much about GroVia, so I'm not really much help but wanted to say "Welcome!"
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
vzlaw1 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote vzlaw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 1:15pm
Thanks for the welcome Clare

question: What is wetbag and what are flats? we bought "prefolds" to put in our covers. on the picture, they lay flat- are they different?
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 27 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 1:23pm
A wetbag is a small or large bag that holds your dirty/wet diapers when you're out and about. It is waterproof. I also use a hanging wetbag on my doorknob next to my changing table instead of a diaper pail.

Flats are large squares of cotton, usually called "birdseye". They can be folded many different ways. Once they are folded, they are very similar to a prefold. They can be "padfolded" which is the same as "trifolding" a prefold. There are some very nice folding tutorials here on the Pin. I like to kitefold and then use a snappi to fasten it on. I also like to padfold and lay it in my covers, usually a Thirsties Duo wrap. Green Mountain Diapers sells wonderful flats and prefolds. They have lots of pictures on their site that can show you the difference. Prefolds do lay flat, too...but they are several layers thick and will "fluff up" when they are prepped. Flats are a single layer of cotton.

Hope that helps!

Edited for typos.

Edited by Clare_S - 01 Mar 2012 at 1:25pm
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
vzlaw1 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote vzlaw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 1:39pm
Clare

It did help!!... but confussed me more ... HAHA sorry.

with the padfold and the "snappi" I'm googling everything you told me when I get home today.

I was also reading that the Grovia is not recomended overnight and I would need something else. Something about a imse vimse.

Im going to look for a CD store in los angeles, that way I can actually see the products. That way were set up for success!!

Thank you again Clare!!

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 27 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 1:50pm
Sorry to confuse you more! It is very confusing in the beginning.

Here is some more info about flats and some pictures.

Here is info on the snappi. You can use it to fasten prefolds and flats, and may other diapers.

Here is more info and pictures about prefolds.

Green Mountain Diapers is an invaluable website!

Nighttime diapering is a whole different ballgame It is probably better suited for Diaper Chatter and other mama's advice. Ask anything here! We love to help!
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 27 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 1:53pm
Also, you don't need special night diapers when babies are still newborns as long as baby gets changed at every feeding at night. Once they start sleeping 3+ hours, you can gradually bulk up the diaper until they are sleeping so long that you need to find a better solution.

corinnesmom View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
6 years 55 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote corinnesmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 7:50pm
Hi and welcome! I joined this forum about 4 years ago and it helped me so much during the beginning...and still now as I'm helping my 2.5 year old learn how to use the potty.  I remember two dads on here from way back then.  I second the advice on the Green Mountain Diaper website.  I learned so much from all the pictures of prefold sizing and how to fasten them.  I wish that I had a close store when I first started, so I think that's a great idea to try to find a local CD store.  Good luck and congrats on the baby!
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 247 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:46pm
hello :) welcome to the pin!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
gotlucy View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gotlucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:35pm
welcome!  nice to see a dad!
I'm sure you're coming for me. BOO!! trick, or treat?
Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 9:47am
Welcome!   It is nice to hear from dads (though rare).  The above advice is good and you'll find more information than you thought possible on this forum.  Ask your questions and the mamas here love to help!
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply