Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Wwyd w/ PLing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wwyd w/ PLing?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 9:56pm
So... Logan's PLing now. He does really well in underpants. In fact, the reason I decided we need to just ditch the diapers today was because he only peed in his night diaper, stayed dry from the time I took it off him and put a dry one on til AFTER his nap. When he woke up from his nap dry I told him it was time to use the potty. He didn't want to, but I told him he had to or we weren't going outside. Embarrassed  And he did. Then he was dry after we came back inside and I had him try again and he did it. So he got underpants. And was dry all evening. Used the potty twice. Peed before bed. Wanted underpants for bed, be we can't do that obviously.

So my question... should I just buy some pullups for when we're out of the house and bedtime? As much as I don't want to, I think going back and forth from underwear to diapers is going to confuse him. I don't have any other diapers that he can pull up and down. I don't have any trainers worthy of containing a full accident w/out leaking.

Wwyd? It's not in the funds to buy more trainers atm. Unless I can sell something... hm.
Sponsored Links

slednmom View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(50)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 140 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote slednmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:02pm
Could you do undies w/ dappi pull ons?  This is what we did w/ Boston
Amber wife to Ryan(12/00)
Boston(9/07) & Grace (7/10) & Kynlee (12/11)

Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:35pm
Pull ups are crazy expensive. 25 cents each when u get a box at Costco!
I even would reuse mine if they weren't peed in and It was still expensive (and gross )

The grovia pullups could do for night because you could stuff them with a flat, or the pocket superundies.
Or...wool with a toddlease?

A tip that really helped me with PLing was not only taking her pee before but to also get up at night - wake her up to go pee (usually we each do it once, I wake up naturally around 3am, then DH at 5am to go pee ourselves so we just grab her too) - then put her back to bed. Sounds silly but you need to get them in the rhythm of waking to go pee so they stay dry at night too (DD is 3 and is fully night dry and I credit this technique!) now we just use our wool longies on her as pjs.
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:48pm
Never thought of that Amber!

Esseltess - if I wake that kid up to go pee he'll never go back to sleep. lol Mason pretty much day and night trained at the same time, but I kept him in night diapers for...oh... about 6 months because I was worried. lol I think if I just get him up in the morning and straight to the potty he'll be fine. But I normally don't change him for like an hour once we're up.

I just listed my bottombumpers on spots, so hopefully maybe they sell there. Then I can pay slednmom for some other things ;) and maybe have some extra to try a night trainer or something.
slednmom View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(50)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 140 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote slednmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:50pm
If you go out you could throw in a preemie pf doubler or other doubler
Amber wife to Ryan(12/00)
Boston(9/07) & Grace (7/10) & Kynlee (12/11)

bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:51pm
I don't have any premie pfs but I could toss a hemp doubler in there, or I have some thirsties doublers.
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 11:55pm
Ah! do you cut out liquids after a certain time of night? Or do they last all night anyway?
That's awesome! My DD has my tiny bladder
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:21am
We use the same night diaper combo as before, I just call it night time underware and he goes along with it.  We have slowly been able to destuff as he got better with peeing before bed and right when he got up.  We don't wake him up and he has slowly been dry more and more nights, until now (6 weeks later) he rarely has a wet night night diaper. 

I was able to do that with going out also.  I found a diaper that he hadn't seen in a while and called it going out underware and he had no problem with it.  You have to have something that would work.  It's such a short phase, I wouldn't bother spending money on it.  We used it for about a week. 

I do carry around and extra set of clothes and wipes and he has been accident free for about a month.  We did have to pee on the side of the highway once, but have made it to a potty all other times.  Call me crazy, but I think accidents are incredibale teaching aids. After he was dry for so long he had no desire to be wet.  Pull ups on the other hand have no consicences. 

You have to make the jump to going out with underpants sometime, and if he is doing so well at home there is no reason to think he won't do as well out and about.   
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 309 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:49am
I am no help at all.  Remember how I estimated Zach will be 11 when he PL's.  Tongue  I'm watching your thread for good ideas to use at our house.
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:58am
Christina, you're right, there's no reason to pour more money into this.

This morning he woke up and stripped of his night diaper and put on underpants before coming upstairs to wake me up.... and he didn't pee first... so he SOAKED the underpants, his shirt, and the floor. Ugh. BUT at least his night diaper was dry! LOL So I just told him he needs to go to the potty BEFORE he puts the underpants on. And we cleaned up. He's in underpants now so we'll see how it goes.

Maybe I can just stick a doubler inside a PUL cover for the first few times we go out. OR just use the few trainers I do have that are more absorbent than plain ol underpants and if he pees, he pees - just have extra clothes in the bag in case. I will never forget being in Walmart shortly after Mason PL'd and him saying he had to pee and me RUNNING w/ them in the cart to get to the restroom only for him to pee 2ft from the door. lol

Esseltess - no I don't cut off liquids at any time but in general neither of them drink very much through the day. They're like me, especially if not outside playing. We're just not big drinkers. Mason's had his fair share of accidents, especially this past summer when he was *SO* dead asleep he just peed the bed. We went through weeks of consistet accidents and I tried to put him back in a diaper for nights. lol That didn't go over well at all w/ him. But I finally got him to let me stuff a pad-folded flat in his underpants. He's good now though. I don't remember the last time he had an accident. We'll see how it goes once summer hits and we're back outside all day and he's dead tired again :P
Jake&MattsMom View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
6 years 65 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jake&MattsMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:06am
I would just stick with a regular diaper at night and do undies when you are out.  Maybe get a piddle pad for the carseat and otherwise bring an extra set of pants along and make sure he uses the potty before you leave and then every so often when you are out if you'll be out for a long time.    

When DS2 PLed I used sandy's like pull-ups for a few days until I was sure he was really PLed but he had already been staying dry in diapers for a few days prior.  I have a low tolerance for potty accidents so the sandy's were more for my peace of mind than actual need.  I used sposie pull ups for DD for about 2 weeks when she PLed.  She kept them dry so it wasn't too expensive to use just one a day. 

If he is really ready to PL I think you'd be okay with sposie pull-ups and it wouldn't be too expensive b/c I doubt you'd use too many.  I had looked at buying some trainers, but then figured out that using the sposie pull-ups for that short period of time was cheaper than one trainer. 
Amanda~ Homeschooling mom to- Jacob(11/04), Matthew(12/07), Corinna(11/09) Caleb(3/12) and Baby Jonah(6/14)
oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:59am
I use a sandy's and s'bish at night on DS, only because they pull up and down and we already had them.  But I would not buy special overnight training pants. I bought a bunch of trainers and I did not find the use that we got out of them to be relatively cost effective.
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 2:57pm
I would do dipes at night too and undies for daytime.  You could do a nighttime trainer that seems more like undies perhaps (we used Ladder Hill Designs).  I would not buy pull-ups though . . . just my opinion.  Good Luck Mama :)
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 11:48am
We used sandy's when we went out when DS was first potty training. Undies at home. Then just took an extra set of cloths when we went out (I still keep an extra set of undies/pants in my bag just in case but haven't needed them for months). For long car rides I kept him in sandy's longer. I'm jealous Logan is already waking up dry sometimes. Jackson's been day trained for 8 months and still wakes up pretty wet. I plan on just keeping w/ the toddlease till he's night trained.   
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 12:14pm
R wears gerber trainers during the day we has some regular undies too, but I like the trainers b/c they hold a little extra in case he has a whoops. When we go out for a length of time I throw a Thirsties on over them. We've been doing diapers for naps and at night, but he barely fits most of them, so I pulled out the ditto daddies. They look like his brothers' boxer briefs, but have a nice snap in soaker. We used them on midkid who was still having night accidents at 5.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
 Post Reply Post Reply