Forum Home Forum Home - Welcome! - Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome To Diaper Pin!  We are glad you've found us!

We have a wealth of information available to you in reviews, articles and through our members in our forums. 

Intros is a great place to start and tell us a little about yourself and where you are starting out cloth diapering.   The easiest way to start learning is jumping in and participating!

New and looking for much needed advice... help....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LyndseyS View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote LyndseyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New and looking for much needed advice... help....
    Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:58pm

Hi, My name is Lyndsey.  I am 6w4d into my 2nd pregnancy.  My EDD is October 18, but I will deliver early because our local hospital does not perform VBACs.  So more than likely a late September/early October baby.  I have 6 yr old fraternal twin boys, whom resulted from a natural triplet pregnancy.  Not sure if we will be expecting multiples again, but our chances are high.  I have my first ultrasound on Thursday!!!!! 

I am serious about cloth diapering, but I'm very uncertain on where to start or what I need to get started.  I have googled and read forum after forum and info after info.  I'm still lost.  I "think" I am interested in pre-folds with colorful covers, but also have read some great info about all-in-ones.

All and any info is greatly appreciated.   
Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 194 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:08pm
Welcome, Lyndsey! And, congrats on your pregnancy!

You're in the right place for advice, help, and support with cloth diapering. Poke around Diaper Chatter and ask lots of questions and you'll soon learn what everyone loves. Prefolds and covers are a great way to go and are what I started with but I've fallen in love with flats. You'll never know what you love! The research is half the fun....good luck
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:12pm
Welcome Lyndsey and congratulations!

Prefolds are a great place to start, and very economical -- especially if you end up needing a large stash! I like the newborn (orange edge) size from Green Mountain Diapers. I know many others also like the ones from Diaper Rite.

I'd get a few dozen of those. The Thirsties covers (both sized and Duos) worked well for us. Sometimes it's nice to have more than one option -- I found different brands of cover fit better or worse at different stages of growth -- the fit can be a moving target when they're growing quickly!

I've never used AIOs, but I've heard they can be prone to washing issues since they're harder to rinse out. I'd suggest getting a small selection of them to try and to see 1. how well they fit your child(ren) and 2. if washing goes OK for you. But if you think the ease of AIOs will make a big difference in your ease of use and enthusiams for cloth diapering, ignore me and do what you want!
LyndseyS View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote LyndseyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:13pm
Flats?  I don't recall seeing anything on these ones.... I'll have to do some more searching.    I also need to think "easy" for my husband.  He's on board, but disposable diapers gave him trouble with our boys... LOL
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 194 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:24pm
Flats= the old square diapers. Green Mountain Diapers has a great website if you're checking out prefolds and flats. They have really great pictures and helpful info. Their Workhorse diapers are also pretty amazing. They are a prefold in a fitted style.

My husband had no problems learning how to fasten prefolds and he liked them even more when I showed him how to "trifold" them in the cover. When baby is a little older, you can just fold it in thirds, lay in the cover, and fasten it on. Not my favorite method for newborns, though. Oddly enough, my husband likes flats more than prefolds- as long as I do the folding. They are easy to wash and dry in a flash.

There are so many benefits to each diapering system. The key with getting your husband on board is to keep it simple. Don't end up too many systems so it gets confusing. My husband stopped being so eager to help me change diapers when I had flats, prefolds, fitteds, and a bunch of different covers that all went with different diapers, LOL! I have narrowed things down to just flats and a few kinds of covers and he is back in the game now
LyndseyS View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote LyndseyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:27pm
Do yall purchase your prefolds and covers online, or head to a store?  A friend of mine recommended prefolds from littlelions, also covers from Thirsties and mother ease air flow for at night.  Also recomended happy Heinies and thick inserts from good mamas for at night as well.  There are so many different brands and companies out there and its kinda overwhelming.  I tend to be leary of purchasing online due to not being able to touch, feel and see it in person. 
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:37pm
In theory I like the idea of supporting local store (if you're lucky enough to have one near you). It's probably a good place to pick up the more popular covers.  But if you want something very specific, e.g. GMD prefolds (quality can vary greatly on those!), I usuallly end up ordering online.

With covers one thing to keep in mind is which one can you just "lay in" the prefold, and which ones would require a snappi or pins -- e.g. Thirsties you can lay in. Mother Ease air flow are nice, but you can't use them to hold the dipe in place like you can with Thirties or Flips or and handful of others.

Have you thought about wool for night? If you care about breathability, wool is a very good thing. (Mother Ease Sandy's fitted w/extra insert + an Aristocrat wool cover is a great combo)

re husbands. Mine likes prefolds. no confusing/intimidating snaps to figure out.

re flats. they are great too, but I lost the love a bit because I can't keep up with the folding.

Edited by ambrose - 27 Feb 2012 at 5:38pm
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 194 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:42pm
It is tough to buy online at first, but you get used to it. It is hard when you are so overwhelmed and there is nothing you can see in real life to know what you are buying. I think your friend gave some great advice. I don't think Little Lions is in business anymore, but I could be wrong.

Green Mountain Diapers is my favorite for flats and prefolds. They sell Thirsties covers, too. Both Thirsties original and Duo wraps are 2 of my favorite covers over flats and prefolds.

My other favorite store is mombecks.com. Rebecca is so helpful and ships quickly and for free. She also has flats and prefolds and sells Motherease Air Flows and Thirsties. The Airflow covers are a great option for night!

The good thing about cloth is that you get to have a newborn stage. You can get yourself a small stash of what you want to try out and see what you enjoy the most. I used 24 NB prefolds and that was it. I washed every day. Next time, I'll have at least 3 dozen diapers. But, you can get 1 doz newborn prefolds, 1 dozen small flats, and 1 dozen fitteds, pockets, all-in-ones....whatever you want to try. Stock up on at least 6 covers and see what you like. Then, you'll have some more direction when they get to the bigger sizes. Hope that helps a little.
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:44pm
re B&M stores, some are rather limited in selection (e.g. it's always Kissaluvs for newborn fitteds -- but they get mixed reviews). And with something like prefolds, you can't really tell until they're washed anyway (there's a rather dramatic change -- they get all "quilted" up after prepping -- eg washing serveral times to strip out the natural oils)

But if you find stuff there you love give it a shot!
 Post Reply Post Reply