Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

s/o scents you like around the house

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 306 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: s/o scents you like around the house
    Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:49am
My sense of smell isn't all that sensitive, and I like to have something pleasant when I'm cleaning.  I am trying to narrow it down a bit though.  I bought a bunch of different stuff lately, and it's waaaay too much.  I'm thinking of getting the bio-kleen all-purpose concentrate and using it for everything.  I hope it's like the Bac-out scent.  Love the citrus!

What do you gravitate toward, if you like the scents?  Anybody put EO in a homemade cleaning solution?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Sponsored Links

elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 315 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:32am
We use bi o keen ap concentrate for most of our cleaning. It's not as lime smelling as bac out but it's a pleasant very light citrus smell. The scent depends on how much you dilute. 
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 306 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by elus0814 elus0814 wrote:

We use bi o keen ap concentrate for most of our cleaning. It's not as lime smelling as bac out but it's a pleasant very light citrus smell. The scent depends on how much you dilute. 

Great to hear that you like it!  Know where to get a good deal?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
diaperpin-jen View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(6)

Perennial Pinner
14 years 218 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote diaperpin-jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:41am
We use diluted vinegar for most of our cleaning... (except in the bathroom where we use something stronger)....   It doesn't leave a scent. I do love lemony / citrusy smells....  I get this citrus room spray from this person in Esty - I think she uses citrus scents and russian tea -- it smells so good!

I think  I'd like the scent of bac out..... Never used it though...
Creator of the Pin and Proud mama of 2!

Check out our new blog - The Corner! iv class
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 315 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 12:10pm
I bought it so long ago I don't even remember where I got it. One bottle of concentrate lasts a really long time. I bought four bottles three years ago and we're still only a little bit into the last bottle. 
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
mttav View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(54)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 244 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mttav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 1:41pm
For citrus, I really like the ginger lime and coconut lime APC scents from CJ's, but I have to dillute them more than they're "supposed" to be. Otherwise I get a headache, even though they do smell good. When i make my own cleaner, I just add grapefruit, lemon, and/or sweet orange EO.
Mom to T (8), M (6), S (3), and X (tiny) and wife to my BFF.

Visit me on Etsy at FlyingGaggleFibers and EwenicornCovers!

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(34)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 257 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:53pm
I love peppermint, I always add peppermint oil to my vinegar/water cleaning spray. Sometimes I put orange oil in there so it's orange/mint and that is nice too. It smells so fresh & it's safe enough to eat since they are food grade oils.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 86 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 4:07pm
I mostly use vinegar and water or baking soda for cleaning.  Sometimes I add a few drops of orange or peppermint EO.  I love having some scented baking soda in a shaker by all the sinks in the house for a quick clean up and fresh scent.  Right now I am trying to make my own citrus vinegar.  I have a jar of citrus peels and vinegar sitting for the next couple of weeks then I'm going to dilute it with water like usual.  We'll see how the scent turns out.
OT but I can tell you right now I'm looking for something to freshen up the house.  I have broccoli soup cooking that the kids love and constantly ask for.  I know why I haven't made it in a while the whole how reeks and is making me gag!!  Sick  I wish it was warm enough to open the house up because I don't think anything else is going to help.
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(29)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 229 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 5:04pm
Sweet orange is yummy. I also just ordered a bottle of lemongrass EO and it smells great! Nice and fresh. I have to do a bit of research before using it though because there is a pregnancy warning on the bottle.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
KiraKira View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote KiraKira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 5:47pm
Ok....not exactly Eco friendly, but I love the lavender Fabuloso all purpose cleaner.
I use it on some stuff still.
I also add Lemon EO to my vinegar cleaners.
Married to Jeff 10-23-04
Blessed with our beloved Lily Grace 7/24/10.
Blog - www.dreamingkira.blogspot.com
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(61)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 114 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 5:55pm
I love all citrus, especially lime and grapefruit. I also love bergamot! I usually add some lemon or orange and lavender to my vinegar/water cleaning mix. 
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
lflips View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote lflips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 6:07am
 We use diluted vinegar for most cleaning which doesn't have a smell once it dries. For my homemade laundry detergent I add tto which smells nice. We have a steam mop and I always drop a few drops of lemongrass eo on the cleaning pad which makes the room smell nice when you mop. 
Tamryn :

Mama to Eden and Ariadne
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 254 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 2:28pm
My fave scents around the house are lavender (all time favorite scent I think - my dad planted some lavender bushes for me and the kids will pick the flowers for me sometimes... I just sit on the porch and sniff them - it's right next to some rosemary so whenever they go back there they end up making the whole area smell), citrus (lemon and lime especially, grapefruit too. Orange is OK if it's the right orange), vanilla and peppermint. I have the Bio Kleen AP cleaner and it's pretty mild smelling. Their lavender lime bathroom stuff is pretty strong, but not bad. I need to get some more EOs b/c my lavender is MIA. I want some I can dilute to spray on sheets and things when they are line drying this summer.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 269 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 10:33am
I don't mind "natural" scents. Vanilla, cinnamon, evergreen, citrus, that sort of thing i like best. I don't like most florals, but lavender doesn't bother me too much. Someone mentioned CJs. I have tried several of her scents and don't care for most. They are too strong for me. I'd rather mix up my own cleaner and add a dab of essential oil. Dr. Bronner's scents are also light enough for me. The rose one isn't my taste, but the others are ok.
Holly
love my DH (est. 5/06), sweet ODS (12/08), and itty YDS (7/14)
whm721 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote whm721 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 11:25am
for some reason.. i actually love the smell of vinegar i use it all the time on everything lol, my DH love the smell of 7th generation thyme spray but i hate it.
 Post Reply Post Reply