Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

bge leaking THROUGH cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caschoell View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote caschoell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bge leaking THROUGH cover
    Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 8:52pm
Hi, I'm currently cd'ing my second dd.  With our first we used a variety of types, but for our second we are using the easiest for our needs, only BGEs.  We have about 24 in rotation, and wash every other day.  She is 10 months old, and they were only used a couple months by our toddler before she potty-trained and her sister was born.

Anyway, we have been happily using those.  The only leaks had been if we went too long without a change, or if the cotton around the legs were rolled out.  But, the last few weeks, and twice today, she has leaked THROUGH the PUL cover.  In fact, when it happened today, I had literally changed her and dressed her, and picking her up, she had ALREADY gone through the diaper and clothes!  I thought I had the cotton rolled out, but it wasn't.  Then I thought it had gone out from the rear, but her back was dry.  It had definately gone right through the diaper, the only wet place on the diaper was right in the middle between her legs on the outside.  Then she laid down for a nap with another clean diaper, and when she woke up 2 hours later, same exact thing.

I don't think it's all my diapers, but I've noticed it with at least 3 of them.  What is happening?  Am I losing the PUL?  I was with tide (I had to, rashes happened with all the natural detergents we tried), occasional bleach, and strip every 3 months or so for good measure.

HELP!
Thanks
Sponsored Links

musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 62 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 12:04am
Are they going through the dryer?  If not, you may need to re-seal them on a hotter setting.  Honestly though, I'd contact the manufacturer directly.  I think they'll trouble-shoot pretty well with you, especially since you made quite an investment in their product.  There are a few simple solutions that work for most dipes, but if the PUL is starting to out-and-out fail, they'd probably help you the best.

The only other thing I can think of, is if she is now holding, and then going so quickly that she overwhelms the mat'l before it can absorb and distribute.  Do you have any doublers?  Can the inside be folded in such a way that there's more fabric right in her wet zone?
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:04am
The only times I've ever had this happen are if I go too long w/out changing him (which is obviously not the case with your) or if he has held it so long he just totally supersoaks the diaper. PUL is essentially waterproof but only to a certain degree, kwim? I'd try tossing them in the dryer to seal them and see if that helps, otherwise I'd call cottonbabies and see if they can help.
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:08am
The only times I've ever had this happen are if I go too long w/out changing him (which is obviously not the case with your) or if he has held it so long he just totally supersoaks the diaper. PUL is essentially waterproof but only to a certain degree, kwim? I'd try tossing them in the dryer to seal them and see if that helps, otherwise I'd call cottonbabies and see if they can help.
caschoell View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote caschoell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:53pm
Thanks for the feedback.  Yes I do dry it in the drier on hot.  Unfortunately I bought them new from another mama on FSOT, so not expecting bumbenius/cottonbabies to help me out much.  I'll give them a try though Unhappy
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 14 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by caschoell caschoell wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes I do dry it in the drier on hot.  Unfortunately I bought them new from another mama on FSOT, so not expecting bumbenius/cottonbabies to help me out much.  I'll give them a try though Unhappy

I'm pretty sure detergents with enzymes void the warranty on BG products so if you have been using Tide they probably won't do anything at all.

ETA: warranty information http://www.bumgenius.com/help.php 

Edited by ShannonM1976 - 20 Feb 2012 at 3:12pm
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:52pm
that scare me, just bought some off another mama. i have seen my LO needs a doubler with these, he'll soak it alone in 2-3 hours. i'd dry on hot once a month only, usually just low heat, right?? even the BG Freetimes say only hang dry. interesting...
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:53pm
i don't know about tide. might be causing build up or repel issues in the organic fabric. but that doesn't answer the leaking through the PUL concern...
 Post Reply Post Reply