Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Books and Entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Children's Movies

Downton Abbey FYI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 295 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downton Abbey FYI
    Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:16pm
Season 2 can be watched at PBS!  I haven't actually gotten there yet, but am excited I can watch them after I get through season 1!!

link
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
Sponsored Links

txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 295 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:17pm
BTW, season 1 is on free Hulu and on Netflix streaming.  It is a fantastic series!!
Linda

horseymama View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:30pm
It certainly is great! Season 1 was available on PBS until just after season 2 started on TV. Obviously episode 7 (the one that airs tomorrow) is not up yet but all the other full episodes from this season are up. But they'll only be there until March 6, then they expire, so if you want to catch them on PBS you gotta hurry a bit! Smile

I am dying waiting for tomorrow's show! I'm so glad we've been house sitting while it's been on so I've been able to watch it on their nice TV instead of my small computer at home. I don't usually get attached to shows but this one is so addicting! 
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(32)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 33 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:50pm
I found that, too! We've been watching Season 2 on PBS. It really is hard to go from watching the back to back episodes on Netflix to waiting a week for PBS.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:19pm
I agree Clare! I was catching up when we first came here to house sit so watched pretty much an episode a day through season one. Going from that to waiting a week has been torture!
fancyoats View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Perennial Pinner
6 years 354 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote fancyoats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 12:46am
better hurry up, though.  pbs only has them available till march 7th.  watch 'em while you can!!
Ariana, mama to Amy (6) and Roberta (almost 3)
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 62 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:31am
I am a masterpiece adict so I watch most of the shows at pbs video that are put out by the masterpiece name.  Only a few I miss when they are available there in which case I have watched them on netflix. 

If you do miss it on pbs they occasionally have reruns later on so it is worth checking back before netflix gets it up.  Because it it does rerun they will have it online again.  Oh and they have a lot of other great shows too.  The new great expectations looks like it will be great. 
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:46am
I heard about this for the first time a couple days ago and it looks really interesting. If it's on streaming I'm going to have to check it out.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos a href="https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkandBean" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Turk & Bean
k
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 295 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Nuttygirl Nuttygirl wrote:

I am a masterpiece adict so I watch most of the shows at pbs video that are put out by the masterpiece name.  Only a few I miss when they are available there in which case I have watched them on netflix. 

If you do miss it on pbs they occasionally have reruns later on so it is worth checking back before netflix gets it up.  Because it it does rerun they will have it online again.  Oh and they have a lot of other great shows too.  The new great expectations looks like it will be great. 

What ones are your favorite - which other masterpiece ones would you recommend after I finish Downton Abbey?
Linda

P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 9:45pm
Sam the first season is on streaming, I'm sure the second season will be eventually.
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 12:08am
Oh my gosh, I LOVED the season finale tonight! One of the best episodes!!

ETA: Maggie Smith is the absolute best. She has me totally cracking up every single week. Her eyes alone are so great and then her timing is just impeccable. 

Edited by horseymama - 20 Feb 2012 at 12:09am
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(32)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 33 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:46am
Erin, I can't wait to watch it later. I didn't know it was the season finale, though :(

NG- reccomend us some other Masterpieces to watch, please!

Edited by Clare_S - 20 Feb 2012 at 9:58am
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 9:56am
Yeah, I'm SO sad!! It was a good ending though. I recorded it so will probably watch it again later too while I'm walking on the treadmill. Smile
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(7)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 62 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:16pm
Well if you want another period piece they have a ton based on classic literature.  The problem is most of the ones available on netflix are the older versions which aren't always as good.  You would have to rent the videos or wait for a rerun on pbs.  Ones included in that are:
sense and sensibility (new version I think 2008)
Emma (2008)
Miss Austen Regrets (2008
Little Dorrit (2009 I think, maybe 2010)
Mansfield Park (2008)
Northanger Abbey (2008)
Persuasion (same)
Cransford (2008?) and Return to Cranford (not as good as Cransfield but still good)
The Old Curiosity Shop (I remember liking this but haven't seen it again)
Oliver Twist (2009)
South Riding (2011)  I thought this was well acted.  I didn't completely like the ending but it is worth a look if you can find it.  I don't think it is available on netflix so am putting it here but it is worth checking for periodically since they update content all the time.

They did a new version of most Jane Austens book the same year. 

Ones on Netflix I heard are good but I haven't watched:
Wuthering Heights (2009 version or around there)

Classic (so based on classic literature or set in the past) that I have seen and are available on netflix streaming:
North and South (really good I have watched it twice within a 6 mo. period)
Wives and Daughters (also watched twice)
The Diary of Anne Frank (pretty sure the 2010 version is on netflix but you would have to check the synopsis and see if it is the same version I am thinking of.  Really well acted.  I cried but you all know how this story ends)
I will have to see if there are more in this.  I know I have watched a few more but can't remember the titles and netflix doesn't have the easiest search function if you don't know the exact title

Mystery! (available on netflix streaming):
Inspector Lewis (love this show.  Once you get into it the characters are a lot of fun)
Foyle's War (mysteries set during World War II)
Sherlock (most of you know about this already but it is really good.  Modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes.  Lovely lead actors)

Contemporary (also available on netflix streaming):
The Last Enemy (a thriller, mystery, action piece that is not wrapped up in a nice package at the end.  YOu have been warned)
Place of Execution (mystery.  really enjoyed this as well)

Framed (cute show.  It was on line on the pbs site recently and might be again.  Otherwise don't know if it is on netflix)

I will let you know when I watch more classic episodes on netflix if you want and tell you about them.  I need to watch Wuthering Heights.  The thing is I know how the book ends so am hesitant to relive the angst on the tv screen!

Edited by Nuttygirl - 20 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 12:41pm
^Forsyte Saga is a great series based on a book too!  Great list you have there.  

and I loved the Wuthering Heights version you have listed.  It's so so so amazing!
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 242 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 1:13am
Ooo, nice to know! I've been wanting to see this series and this is a great time to stream it since I'm not watching my regular shows this summer! (since we have a bandwidth limit)
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(32)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 33 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:29am
NG, I missed your nice list all those months ago! I have seen many of them, but haven't heard of some. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply